Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions on wall connector installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to get a Model Y, about to move to Houston area.
Builder asked if I need a 220V outlet in Garage ($500).

My questions is that I will have Tesla Wall Connector charging system installed later, do I need this extra $500 220V outlet installed in garage?

Thanks.

John

My questions is that I will have Tesla Wall Connector charging system installed later, do I need this extra $500 220V outlet installed in garage?

Thanks.

John
I’d specify that you want a 60A circuit with 4/3 or 6/3 wire where you plan on installing the wall connector. You don’t need the “outlet” as the wall connector is a direct wire affair. 60A circuit and at least 6/3 is required for the fastest CURRENT charging speed. If he can do the 4/3 even better for future proofing just incase.
445372FC-3C49-41FB-B9DC-28CBA3B2F01A.png

Thanks.

John
As noted, the Wall Connector does not have a plug. The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit. A 60 amp or 50 amp circuit would provide the fastest charging. Note that the Wall Connector comes with a 24 foot charging cord. Have the circuit for the Wall Connector run to where you want the Wall Connector to be installed. The charging port on all current Tesla vehicles is on the left rear quarter panel by the turn signal.

6/3 (6 gauge, 3 conductor + ground) wire (metallic clad wire or run in conduit) for up to a 60 amp circuit. Use 6/3 wire for future flexibility, if you decide to change to a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (the 14-50 receptacle is rated for a 50 amp circuit.) Else 6/2 wire (6 gauge, 2 conductor + ground) is all you need for the Wall Connector (does not use the neutral wire.) If you want the 60 amp circuit and the electrician is quoting installing NM-B (Romex type house wiring) it needs to be 4 gauge (larger diameter) wire for a 60 amp circuit. 6 gauge NM-B (Romex) is adequate only up to a 50 amp circuit.

Last edited:
Don't bother with the outlet if you will get the Tesla adapter. We had an outlet put in and never used it because we got a referral prize adapter. We had to pay to have it have the plug removed and the wire rerun to the adapter.

Note that Tesla is no longer shipping the AC adapter with the car. So you may have to Supercharge until you get the wall adapter installed.

Thanks.

John
Have the builder provide 200 Amp breaker panel. If its the garage order the Gen 3 HPWC from Tesla. I had a Tesla recommended electrician install mine.

Attachments

• Garage HPWC IMG_8089.JPG
    Garage HPWC IMG_8089.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 83
It all depends on your needs and how you use your Tesla. If you commute short distance every day, you don't really need the wall connector, but since the mobile connector is not included in the car anymore, you will have to either buy that or buy the wall connector unless you will only use super charger to charge your Tesla.

I had the Tesla wall connector installed ($1600 due to detached garage and 150 ft of wires required), and got almost $500 tax credit back last year.

Last edited:
As noted, the Wall Connector does not have a plug. The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit. A 60 amp or 50 amp circuit would provide the fastest charging. Note that the Wall Connector comes with a 24 foot charging cord. Have the circuit for the Wall Connector run to where you want the Wall Connector to be installed. The charging port on all current Tesla vehicles is on the left rear quarter panel by the turn signal.

6/3 (6 gauge, 3 conductor + ground) wire (metallic clad wire or run in conduit) for up to a 60 amp circuit. Use 6/3 wire for future flexibility, if you decide to change to a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (the 14-50 receptacle is rated for a 50 amp circuit.) Else 6/2 wire (6 gauge, 2 conductor + ground) is all you need for the Wall Connector (does not use the neutral wire.) If you want the 60 amp circuit and the electrician is quoting installing NM-B (Romex type house wiring) it needs to be 4 gauge (larger diameter) wire for a 60 amp circuit. 6 gauge NM-B (Romex) is adequate only up to a 50 amp circuit.
Our electrician put in Romex 8/3 wiring for the wall charger. They intend to use 50A breaker.
This seems a little risky for continuous draw. But I've been unable to find anything that says it won't meet code. Anyone know?

Our electrician put in Romex 8/3 wiring for the wall charger. They intend to use 50A breaker.
This seems a little risky for continuous draw. But I've been unable to find anything that says it won't meet code. Anyone know?
That is not to code. 8 gauge NM-B is only rated for up to a 40 amp circuit. If the wire really is NM-B (Romex) the electrician should replace the wire with 6/3 NM-B, rated for up to 55 amp, or change the breaker to 40 amp.

Reactions: KJD
Since you appear to be building, you absolutely want a 240V circuit 60-amp circuit, don’t bother with the outlet for now. Do not use #6 NM-B (Romex) as is it limited to 55-amps. If you use Romex it has to be #4, but as you are building you are probably better off with #6 THHN run in a conduit. Leave a lot of extra wire at end.

If you want, you can install a 14-50 outlet as a temporary, just make sure to retain lots of wire so you can route it in a Wall Connector. In this case you will need a 50-amp GFCI breaker, and make sure the electrician uses a commercial grade outlet - NOT a Leviton. When you add the Wall Connector you will replace the 50-amp GFCI breaker with a standard 60-amp breaker.

Reactions: MattM24
So, I have general question.
I need to buy the following?
1. 6 AWG THHN wire with 90C rating to required length X 2 (two hot wires)
2. ground wire??? (Do they sell separate solid ground wire?)

Also, can anyone recommend website or store to purchase the proper/correct wires?

Please feel free to correct me to the right path, so that I don't waste money and time to buy the wrong wires.

Lowes... Home Depot... You can buy by the foot or in a 6/3 Romex non metallic spool. I just looked this up and I'm shocked how the price of this wire has increased since I bought a 100' spool of 6/3. I think it is nearly 4 times as much.

There are also places you can buy online. Be sure to order more than you think, you don't want any splices. Or make sure you have a wire stretcher ;-)

My suggestion: get two runs of 6 gauge THHN in black, one run of 6gauge white and a ground wire (you can use 8 gauge copper wire for the ground). While the white neutral is not required by the current Tesla EVSEs, I like to use it in case a future EVSE needs the neutral.
You’ll also need conduit to shield the THHN wire. I used PVC since it’s easier to work with.
The most expensive part of an EVSE install is normally pulling the cable (cutting holes in Sheetrock, running conduit, etc) so you’re better off running the white neutral wire now.
Just my two cents (for what it’s worth).

Also, can anyone recommend website or store to purchase the proper/correct wires?

Please feel free to correct me to the right path, so that I don't waste money and time to buy the wrong wires.
I bought this cable when installed Wall Connector: 4 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire
Went a little thicker just not push to the limit 6AWG (also less heat and lower resistance) and for future proof, if in the future Tesla may increase the charge current, so I ll need to replace only the breaker and keep the same wire.
For the ground, I got this: 8 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire

But again, 6 AWG THHN also going to work fine with 60A breaker

If you put the wires in the wall/attic - you don't need a conduit. If wires will be exposed to potentially can be mechanically damaged - you need to install them in conduit

Last edited:
While I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed during construction ($225) and was initially using a CC HPC 50-P (corded) I decided I wanted the SEXY HPWC after Tesla lowered the price.

So I had a new circuit installed with 6/3 THHN in conduit. Luckily my panel was near by so I only paid $334. The install was a breeze, about 2 hours start to finish.
h75hgOU.jpg

The NEMA 14-50 is for guest’s or son when he gets his Silverado EV.

I bought this cable when installed Wall Connector: 4 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire
Went a little thicker just not push to the limit 6AWG (also less heat and lower resistance) and for future proof, if in the future Tesla may increase the charge current, so I ll need to replace only the breaker and keep the same wire.
For the ground, I got this: 8 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire

But again, 6 AWG THHN also going to work fine with 60A breaker

If you put the wires in the wall/attic - you don't need a conduit. If wires will be exposed to potentially can be mechanically damaged - you need to install them in conduit
I am just trying to make sure I understood your reply correctly.

1. I need TWO 4 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wires
2. I need One 8 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Building Wire, Can I get 10 AWG THHN/THWN-2 Solid Building Wire instead? I thought the solid is for the ground.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited: