Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions P85D vs 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to purchase a P85D but obviously they are more expensive and there is less available.

What are the differences between the P85D and 85D?

Carbon spoiler, red calipers, sportier seats?
I know the P85D is faster but can the 85D be made faster via software or is hardware also required?

Thanks in advance guys, I always forget how shopping for the right car can be!

Depending on age one might have the NextGen seats - which you may find more comfortable.

P-model has bigger rear motor.

P-model probably has stronger regen.

P-model range/efficiency is a bit less - 20 miles range maybe? (although with Range Mode on not sure if the difference is significant? [Range Mode makes negligible difference on NON-D models])

P-model has more acceleration (but note that without Ludicrous the D/PD difference is mostly at launch rather than at passing speed, and more pronounced with higher battery SoC)

If you have P-Insane turned off (presumably the model you are looking at is NOT P85DL Ludicrous?) the range (and performance) may be very close, not sure I've seen a comparison.

I think?? 0-60 P-Insane is around 3.5s and Standard 85D around 4s

For high mileage driver I'd pay for AP1 rather than P model ... but of course P-model is tempting :) My guess is you won't use P-insane day-to-day.

Is insurance going to be cheaper for "D"? (No idea on that)

Performance is similar, IIRC. The D has 4.2 sec 0-60 mph and slightly more range.

The D should have more regen since it can apply regen to the front axle. The drive units in the D are a next gen design compared to the large rear drive unit in the P. If you do get the P, check to see if it has the latest revision drive unit. Early ones has gear and bearing failures that can be detected by the unit making louder and louder noises as they go out.

I recommend the D, and that is what I bought for myself.

GSP

I’m looking to purchase a P85D but obviously they are more expensive and there is less available.
might come down to the price of them and if you have any specific requirements like Colour, AP, Wheel Size, Sunroof (or not), Interior etc.etc.

If buying from Tesla give them a call to ask the actual 0-60 on any specific car as the timings they put on the site can sometimes be slower to cover themselves for any mistakes.

GSP is comparing an 85 with an 85D, completely different question.

Upgraded answer is correct. Next gen seats and all the other options are common between the 2. The P is lower on range but faster off the line, once moving above 30 you’d be hard pushed to notice the difference.

No real benefit in my book spending a lot more for a P unless it also comes with ludicrous. You can get an 85D for as low as £50.7k from Tesla, a P85D would cost 10k more and it’s not worth that difference to my eyes

Reactions: M4guy
Second
GSP is comparing an 85 with an 85D, completely different question.

Upgraded answer is correct. Next gen seats and all the other options are common between the 2. The P is lower on range but faster off the line, once moving above 30 you’d be hard pushed to notice the difference.

No real benefit in my book spending a lot more for a P unless it also comes with ludicrous. You can get an 85D for as low as £50.7k from Tesla, a P85D would cost 10k more and it’s not worth that difference to my eyes

Second that. @M4guy: Have you already tried to floor the pedal at take off, in an uncorked "regular" Tesla during a test drive? It will be so fast that you may wonder what you need a P version for. If you are willing to spend that amount on a used P, I would REALLY advice to buy a non-P new Tesla, which gives you a lot more bang for you buck, with the latest and greatest hardware

Unfortunately I cannot see the specs from that link. When I click the link I am redirected back to the main CPO site. Maybe because the site sees I am in the USA.. To get the best performance you don't really need a 85D over a 75D: If the car was produced in Q4 2016 or later, it can be "uncorked" to give you 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds.

Screenshots attached :)

I’d like the bigger range from the 85 too

Attachments

• 5E04DA0A-A944-47EF-9E4C-A39578B9A08B.png
    5E04DA0A-A944-47EF-9E4C-A39578B9A08B.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 268
  • DE57B016-9F7E-4734-9E6D-005E54BA1961.png
    DE57B016-9F7E-4734-9E6D-005E54BA1961.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 111
  • B85812B1-E056-4138-BB05-6231CCF79CB1.png
    B85812B1-E056-4138-BB05-6231CCF79CB1.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 121
Msvoyager - if you click the location flag at the bottom of the Tesla website you can change your location. You’ll need to switch it back when you’re finished.

As mentioned already, there are no performance options, only:

Air suspension
Hifi
Sub zero
Premium interior
Sunroof
7 seat
21 alloy
Dash trim
AutoPilot
Charger

..that kind of thing. The here have changed and been combined over the years, but the only real difference that’s been introduced is the more recent P cars had some of these options as standard. You could still spec them on the non P cars (red calipers and rear spoiler aside which are cosmetic). There has been fr9m time to time wider rear wheels on some cars, I’m yet to work out the logic but it may be the P cars at times have had this and the non P didn’t.

Msvoyager - if you click the location flag at the bottom of the Tesla website you can change your location. You’ll need to switch it back when you’re finished.

As mentioned already, there are no performance options, only:

Air suspension
Hifi
Sub zero
Premium interior
Sunroof
7 seat
21 alloy
Dash trim
AutoPilot
Charger

..that kind of thing. The here have changed and been combined over the years, but the only real difference that’s been introduced is the more recent P cars had some of these options as standard. You could still spec them on the non P cars (red calipers and rear spoiler aside which are cosmetic). There has been fr9m time to time wider rear wheels on some cars, I’m yet to work out the logic but it may be the P cars at times have had this and the non P didn’t.

Thanks for the information guys :)

After some searching I found this 85D 0-60 times 5.2 or 4.4? Tesla CPO site says 5.2?

So I believe the 85D was 5.2 0-60mph but when running the latest SW update it will be 4.4 0-60mph.

I presume when you buy from Tesla the cars will have the latest update on them? Or is this something I need to push them to do?

Thanks again

You definately want to get confirmation, ideally in writing, to confirm what any specific car is. They have been switching the 0-60 times lately as I think it was Nov 3rd I noticed times go from 5.4 to 4.4 on the 75d’s I was looking at but then went back to 5.4 a few days later. When I questioned it they said they protect themselves but putting the worst case numbers so defo check with them before you buy

I presume when you buy from Tesla the cars will have the latest update on them? Or is this something I need to push them to do?

Pretty much bound to have a recent version (unless previous owner has been deliberating "refusing" the updates). If buying from Tesla, yeah, should be latest - but no harm in asking if buying from Tesla. If not you'll get it over-the-air "shortly" (rollout varies, no rhyme nor reason, you may be first one time,and last the next ... but apart from impatience :) , or a STOP on rollout for a bug, everyone gets it before too long. It may help if you park where the car can access WiFi as updates over the mobile-phone-network sometimes lags)

Given that the performance update you are referring was some time ago I wouldn't worry about that one.

• Informative
The 85D was launched with 5.x (can't recall the exact figure) and then through a software update it dropped to about 4.2s All of them will be the same. Note when looking at the specs, the 85D time is a genuine 4.2s and many are clocked at below that, the P85D had a time of 3.2 (or thereabouts) but that was with 1' roll out, some american thing that effectively shaved about 0.3s off the time. Like for like, a P85D will be circa 3.4 and a 85D will be 4.1 (roughly) and it feels it as most of that time saving comes in time to get to 30mph.

Watch any youtube video and you'll see the P cars pull out a gap instantly but then the gap is maintained, it doesn't really grow. Ludicrous changed that.

If comfort and operating cost are issues I’d make certain to choose one with 19”:wheels. Those have longer range, better ride and are far more durable and resistant to road hazards.

Between P85D with Ludicrous and 85D the choice is purely a question of acceleration. I have P85DL so you know how I chose. In the UK these days Range is not much of an issue unless you want to go to Northern Ireland which still has no Superchargers.

Please don’t over-analyse. Choose the one you most like and you’ll certainly be happy. With CPO it is pretty hard to make a bad decision.