Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a model 3 in Raleigh on Friday. Considering placing deposit on a MY. Sales rep said there were 100000 orders currently placed for MY. What would you consider for a delivery date if I place my order this week. Order would be for a MY AWD LR. Also after placing reservation is there a point closer to assembly that you are given the chance to add more options from a list of available options. Thank for opinions on a delivery date and helping me to better understand the order process.

Reactions: KerryOH
A deposit only gets you a place in a line. There are a lot of variables that would influence when you actually would take delivery.

I have heard everything from production starting next month to summer. There is still much speculation around the Y timeline.

You would have an oppurtunity to modify your order later up until very close to your order going into production.

Ordering a Tesla is an exercise in patience, but is completely worth the wait.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and azjohn
Reserving during the model 3 rollout didn’t give me any advantage. I reserved like most, in spring 2016 and got mine delivered a day before someone who actually never reserved and placed an order 2 weeks before I got mine delivered.

So I wouldn’t really count your place in line as a gauge of when you should get it based on production estimates.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to reserve as maybe they are getting better at this. But super difficult to guesstimate when you would expect to receive it.

Reserving during the model 3 rollout didn’t give me any advantage. I reserved like most, in spring 2016 and got mine delivered a day before someone who actually never reserved and placed an order 2 weeks before I got mine delivered.

So I wouldn’t really count your place in line as a gauge of when you should get it based on production estimates.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to reserve as maybe they are getting better at this. But super difficult to guesstimate when you would expect to receive it.
I wish you would stop promulgating this line. Tesla delivered in rough order of reservation within their production and logistical constraints (ie. you got yours in order within your vehicle specification group and geography group).

They will do the same with the Model Y, but their production and logistical abilities have improved, so the groups within which vehicles will be ordered may be larger. They have even said as much (7 seat and in 2021 for instance).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
A lot is unknown about model Y. It will me made and delivered this year. If Tesla follows pattern like model 3. First Long Range RWD, then AWD models and maybe followed by standard range down the line.

place your money now and you can change your order right up until you get VIN on your account which is couple days to weeks before you get your car, plenty of time.

tesla likely will start delivering to current owners of Tesla and then the rest. They do/did cars by colors in batches.

I have not see any official number of Tesla model Y pre orders unlike model 3 and even cybertruck

Reactions: mgraff
I wish you would stop promulgating this line. Tesla delivered in rough order of reservation within their production and logistical constraints (ie. you got yours in order within your vehicle specification group and geography group).

They will do the same with the Model Y, but their production and logistical abilities have improved, so the groups within which vehicles will be ordered may be larger. They have even said as much (7 seat and in 2021 for instance).
my experience is anecdotal and by "you wish i would stop", meaning i've done this before? or continually doing it? i am not claiming anything as you are with their logistics have improved, which I have no idea if it has with Model Y, it has with 3 for sure, but i certainly encouraged he order if he wishes. But i disagree with your statement. I did not get a "place in line" by reserving 2.5 years ahead of time.

• Disagree
Reactions: thedm96
my experience is anecdotal and by "you wish i would stop", meaning i've done this before? or continually doing it?
Not sure if you or others, but it's a common myth.
I did not get a "place in line" by reserving 2.5 years ahead of time.
Of course you did. It just so happened that not many others in your geography ordered your configuration, so even though you got yours in order within your configuration+geography, it didn't get to you any earlier than when some folks could order for immediate delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: thedm96
I'm in the same boat. I'm going tomorrow (Friday) for a Model 3 test drive in Raleigh to see how I like the Tesla Brand. I'm currently driving a Mazda CX-5, FWD. I'm torn between AWD vs.RWD, and White(Free) vs. Red($2000). FSD will have to wait. I plan to take trips from NC to AL at least twice a year, and SC access (or any charging for that matter) is limited in AL. Probably stop in Auburn, AL to SC. May have to see if local RV Camp Sites will allow me to charge as my destination will only have 110V access. But who knows, a lot can change in a year by the time I could get a MY.

No one really knows, but I would speculate late 2020 at best if you order now.

As has been said, we don't know how many orders they currently have, when it's going into production (for real), what the distribution will look like, etc.

A few things we do know:
  • There are already some orders ahead of you
  • In the past, previous owner orders would jump the line
  • They build in batches by configuration, so if you order a rare config you likely will wait a bit longer
  • There are many, many variables, so even the most informed guess will have a lot of error

I ordered a MY long range AWD w/FSD, 19in wheels in September 2019. Patience is not one of my virtues, as I replace cars every 18-24months. I’ve been on the fence on ordering a Tesla for three years. I’m anxious to get one, but I can wait for this. If push comes to shove, and I really need to unload my 2018 XC60, I’ll change my order to a Model X. I don’t want to, but I want an EV as my next vehicle, and don’t want to keep my Volvo for much over 24months.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going tomorrow (Friday) for a Model 3 test drive in Raleigh to see how I like the Tesla Brand. I'm currently driving a Mazda CX-5, FWD. I'm torn between AWD vs.RWD, and White(Free) vs. Red($2000). FSD will have to wait. I plan to take trips from NC to AL at least twice a year, and SC access (or any charging for that matter) is limited in AL. Probably stop in Auburn, AL to SC. May have to see if local RV Camp Sites will allow me to charge as my destination will only have 110V access. But who knows, a lot can change in a year by the time I could get a MY.

The Test Drive at the Raleigh Show Room went very well! They never got my Demo ride reservation request, but they worked me into their schedule. Got to drive a Model 3 SR+ which was very nice. I really enjoyed that it was a non-traditional dealer experience. No pressure, just there to show me the car. Told me to come back anytime if I needed another test drive or needed to ask any additional questions.

The person I drove with didn't offer any availability dates on the MY, but did offer to contact me when they received anything new.

Based on my test drive, I did come home and place a reservation for a Model Y Long Range RWD, MMR and White Interior. Now I just hope the hitch will either be standard or an option I can add.

==
MHC

I have been informed that you can not add anything with your order. If you want floor mats you need to order them separately. The options you see appear to be the options you can order; not sure if you mean awd to a rwd option or a rear cargo mat. No jack, spare pretty bare bones. Possibly the M3 owners can give us a run down on options they could add to their order. How about a frunk mat, does it still come with one?

Test drove a model 3 in Raleigh on Friday. Considering placing deposit on a MY. Sales rep said there were 100000 orders currently placed for MY. What would you consider for a delivery date if I place my order this week. Order would be for a MY AWD LR. Also after placing reservation is there a point closer to assembly that you are given the chance to add more options from a list of available options. Thank for opinions on a delivery date and helping me to better understand the order process.
on the other hand i called the local store and explained that my current lease expires in june and i want the LR AWD which the rumors have as coming in March/April and he said i should be OK. of course, my little 'secret' is that i have this in the garage that i could 'force' myself to drive for a month if needed. stein bmw.jpg

I thought that the number was higher.
If you place an order today, I'd guess that delivery could be as close as 6 months from when the car starts shipping to customers, to about a year from that date. So maybe this year.
interesting. a little disappointing too but thanks for the info. my lease expires in June. not a big deal because they only announced in the last few days that deliveries are starting early, that's when i put in the order. but if not, i will lease for 2 years as originally planned and then i will have more choices in any case.