Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I took the plunge on Friday, cancelled my RS6 order and ordered a Model S! Found myself feeling more and more guilty about V8 turbo repercussions so test drove the Tesla and was really impressed, definitely some sacrifices (mainly interior look/feel and engine sound) but all in all feel good about the decision.

So...I now have a steep learning curve iro Electric vehicles, charging and associated gubbins. I've ordered an Anderson EV charger (12 week wait!), expect I will have the car before the charger arrives since they are estimating March delivery.

My house was built in the 60's and has a black fuse box (main fuse not consumer unit), I suspect this means that I will have single phase and a 60Amp. I am going to check with my provider. I think adding three phase involves supply related work rather than a change my end and from posts on here it sounds like it's £5k+ which doesn't sound worthwhile - any thoughts? I also take it I NEED a 100Amp fuse?

In terms of charging on the go, does anyone have any recommendations on apps or services to use? I presume I have to pay a provider rather than using my bank card. I've tried looking for Tesla charges on Google and they seem few and far between (I typically travel Billericay to Colchester/Ipswich so don't think I'd need a charge but it would be good to have options lined up.

I thought long and hard about my original spec of 21" wheels and am getting my order amended to 19" standard, thinking they will probably be the better choice and, if I don't like them I can get aftermarket for far less than the £4.5k Tesla are charging (how are they so expensive?). Changing spec was easy, call to the nearest dealer, quoted the order number and confirmed the change by email.

Any advise in terms of must-do or must-have items would also be gratefully appreciated.

Apologies if the above is already covered, I have spent a fair while searching on the forum and reading through but may well have missed existing threads.

Finally - some threads on here about the financing; I applied, eagerly awaited the stated 4 hour response then started getting concerned when there was no update. Called the dealer the next day, that said it was all approved but nothing on the website as yet. Seems to be a recurring theme!

Here's to my electric future! :)

Congrats! You will love it!

The investment in installation improvements will pay off in the future - don't think you will ever not have the chance to plug in your car.

19inch are not so great handling wise, but more comfortable and economical. And yes, you can get 21 inch wheels way cheaper than at Tesla.

Apps - the Tesla app is great, going electric / nextplug has all the charging stations listed (but I believe there is another one even better in the UK) and of course a better route planner.

Otherwise enjoy the silence!

Reactions: Batfink
Excellent to hear another one dumping their ICE.

great first write up and welcome!

charging wise, I too have a home with only a 60 amp service. I have a “Y” connector to an existing dryer outlet so I didn’t need to upgrade anything to legally charge. I charge at 240V, 24 Amp which is more than enough for my needs of less than 100 km per day.

Can I ask why Anderson charger instead of Tesla's wall charger? Tesla wall charger works great, is less expensive, doesn't require you to use an adapter.

Main reason is cable management, the Anderson effectively hides the cable whereas everything else seems to leave it draped over the unit itself (which the Anderson actually does but hidden inside the frame).

I've checked with Andreson EV and they say I won't need an adapter to charge the Tesla, they said Tesla uses Type 2 and so do they. I of course have no idea what Type 2 actually means but am learning!

Last edited:
Main reason is cable management, the Anderson effectively hides the cable whereas everything else seems to leave it draped over the unit itself (which the Anderson actually does but hidden inside the frame).

I've checked with Andreson EV and they say I won't need an adapter to charge the Tesla, they said Tesla uses Type 2 and so do they. I of course have no idea what Type 2 actually means but am learning!
Ah, maybe European Tesla does use a standard port. In the USA Tesla has a proprietary connector (smaller and better than standard ones out here). Still, personally I would go with Tesla wall charger and come up with a cable management solution. Heck, I'm not thrilled with Tesla customer service in the USA so might be picking up a non-Tesla EV soon, but still plan to use Tesla charger with an adapter for non-Tesla EV. In my case I also get 80A load balancing between chargers for multiple cars (2 today, 3 in the next 6 months probably) with 80A per charger max too (only one car I have can use 80A). That said, if Anderson does the job for you and you prefer it (even though more expensive), I see no issues using it - everyone should use what they like best. :)

@Batfink - Congratulations on joining the Tesla family! Which specific Model S did you order? New or used?

Hi, I took the plunge on Friday, cancelled my RS6 order and ordered a Model S! Found myself feeling more and more guilty about V8 turbo repercussions so test drove the Tesla and was really impressed, definitely some sacrifices (mainly interior look/feel and engine sound) but all in all feel good about the decision.
You definitely won't regret it!

So...I now have a steep learning curve iro Electric vehicles, charging and associated gubbins. I've ordered an Anderson EV charger (12 week wait!), expect I will have the car before the charger arrives since they are estimating March delivery.
Nah, its not a steep learning curve at all! You will get used to it in no time at all!

My house was built in the 60's and has a black fuse box (main fuse not consumer unit), I suspect this means that I will have single phase and a 60Amp. I am going to check with my provider. I think adding three phase involves supply related work rather than a change my end and from posts on here it sounds like it's £5k+ which doesn't sound worthwhile - any thoughts? I also take it I NEED a 100Amp fuse?
200 AMP service is definitely the preferred route, but as others have mentioned you can get by with less.

In terms of charging on the go, does anyone have any recommendations on apps or services to use? I presume I have to pay a provider rather than using my bank card. I've tried looking for Tesla charges on Google and they seem few and far between (I typically travel Billericay to Colchester/Ipswich so don't think I'd need a charge but it would be good to have options lined up.
A Better route planner is an excellent tool to use - A Better Routeplanner . You could also use the ChargePoint and ChargeHub apps (not sure if these apps work in the UK)

I thought long and hard about my original spec of 21" wheels and am getting my order amended to 19" standard, thinking they will probably be the better choice and, if I don't like them I can get aftermarket for far less than the £4.5k Tesla are charging (how are they so expensive?). Changing spec was easy, call to the nearest dealer, quoted the order number and confirmed the change by email.
Yes, getting the 19's is the way to go. If you want to go aftermarket later, one option to consider that IMHO is the best compromise in ride comfort and cost (cost of wheels and less impact to your range) is to go with 20 inch wheels. I got the 20 inch slipstream wheels from a Model X. They have a higher offset which makes the S look better as well as the wheels don't look so indented as the stock 19 inch wheels.

Any advise in terms of must-do or must-have items would also be gratefully appreciated.
I would say having a second charging cable to keep in the car (and leave one at home) is a good idea for when travelling just in case you can't get to a supercharger (with a couple of adapters - J1772 for sure). Good set of floor mats - Tuxmat make one of the best for the Model S. I wouldn't go too crazy on getting much else till you've had the car for some time.

Thanks @SilverGS - appreciate the feedback.

I went for a Grey (Dark Silver!?) Model S Performance, it's new. Presently expecting (hoping!) for delivery in March but if they call and say it's earlier I won't be complaining :)
Beautiful color! Performance Model S!!! I'm so jealous! March is not too far away. I think Tesla prioritizes deliveries to Europe in the early part of the quarter because of the shipping time and then they focus on North America. So hopefully you will get it sooner.

Did yours include free Supercharging?

Soooo...slight change of plan. I happened to be looking at the UK inventory and saw a Red S Performance sitting there, white interior with the carbon fibre and the 19" wheels. I called the showroom and they switched it to my order! Yay

One point to note, if the "Inventory" is stated as "London" it seems not to be inventory at all but something on a ship somewhere (maybe not all of them!), mine was shown as in Southampton and the guy on the phone said oh, that stands a chance of being here, let me check. Sure enough it was!

Now hoping delivery is much closer and have created a bigger 'how to charge' problem for myself! :p

Soooo...slight change of plan. I happened to be looking at the UK inventory and saw a Red S Performance sitting there, white interior with the carbon fibre and the 19" wheels.

One point to note, if the "Inventory" is stated as "London" it seems not to be inventory at all but something on a ship somewhere (maybe not all of them!), mine was shown as in Southampton and the guy on the phone said oh, that stands a chance of being here, let me check. Sure enough it was!

Now hoping delivery is much closer and have created a bigger 'how to charge' problem for myself! :p
Very nice!!! Looking forward to seeing your post with some pics!

hi!

Totally get your thoughts omn the audi then tesla.....Im in the uk too and i currently have an audi RS3, just about to end the PCP and i have good equity (about £7k) in the car.
I wanted to upgrade to another RS and the RS6 was the dream but in this day and age i couldnt justify the environmental impact (or cost of running) and i DO NOT want leather and thats the only option.

I then looked as TESLA and 'boom'....hooked.
I am not one for roaring around bends...i love stright line acceleration...off the lightsm overtaking, pulling out at junctions etc....
so the Tesla is faster than any RS model and ticks all of 'my' moral boxes too....win win

the supercharger at colcheste ris being built....not sure when finished or how long these take to complete but its been in construction (with actual diggers etc) for some weeks.

I am looking at a model X performance and i think i will get the small wheelsto save a fortune and then buy aftermarket...

my understanding is that if i then buy 22" i just click a setting to let the car know....i think