Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a 2015 P90D and have a couple of questions:
1. I am trying to claim ownership on a car I purchased from the non-Tesla dealer. I created my Tesla account and entered my VIN. I got the secret 3 letter code, entered it and saved it. The website told me to then push the submit button. I do not find that button on the screen. I do not have the car at my house so there was a 30+ minute delay between completing the steps and entering the 3 letter code on the Control Screen. Could that be the problem?

2. Sometimes when I get in the car and put my foot on the brake the dashboard screen does not activate and I am not able to put the car in drive. I have to repeatedly press down on the brake. Thoughts on why this is?

3. My battery drain is running at about 2X actual miles driven. In other words, if I drive 10 miles, my remaining range is reduce by about 20 miles. If I charge to 100% my range says 303 miles but I am only able to drive about 150 miles. Could my battery be degraded? How do I check that?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

...if I drive 10 miles, my remaining range is reduce by about 20 miles...

We are not driving in the EPA laboratory so don't be surprised that you won't get EPA-rated results in real life.

It's just a matter of manage various factors if you want to achieve EPA number and you can even beat it if you want: Nice hot summer, no air conditioning, no windows down, no winds, don't speed, straight line, no stops...

We are not driving in the EPA laboratory so don't be surprised that you won't get EPA-rated results in real life.

It's just a matter of manage various factors if you want to achieve EPA number and you can even beat it if you want: Nice hot summer, no air conditioning, no windows down, no winds, don't speed, straight line, no stops...
I get that and am not surprised it is lower but 1/2? Seems extreme. I have been driving what I consider average routes, moderate temperature, intentionally not hard driving mainly 40 to 60 mph with no heavy traffic.

I get that and am not surprised it is lower but 1/2? Seems extreme. I have been driving what I consider average routes, moderate temperature, intentionally not hard driving mainly 40 to 60 mph with no heavy traffic.
You’re basing your “1/2” on an extremely unrealistic range projection because you have “ideal” miles selected.

Your P90D was EPA rated at 268 miles when it was brand new. Since then it has no doubt lost some of that range, and when you switch your display setting over to “rated” you’ll probably see something in the 240s.

Have 21” wheels? Take another ~10% right off the top of that figure.

Basing any efficiency calculations off of your claimed 303 miles at 100% will only result in headache because that number is a complete fantasy.