TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by eggy, May 23, 2015.

1. eggy

eggy Member

Hi all

A dream came true! Since about 1 1/2 weeks I'm a proud owner of a "new" CPO Model S.

I noticed that I loose overnight (approx. 9h) 5 miles of range, after the battery was recharged to 90%.
    I read about the vampire loss of range but still not sure whether this is normal?

I also get 234 miles of rated range after loading up to 90%. Would you consider this as ok for a 2 years old car?

Any feedback highly appreciated!

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Depending on the conditions, how you have the energy saver settings configured, and how long "overnight" means, 5 miles is reasonable. I usually see between 2-3 miles overnight with energy saver enabled.

234 miles is very good for 90%. It's more a question of miles than years old. My almost 2 year old MS with 47,000 miles charges to around 227 on 90%.

3. eggy

eggy Member

Ok, good to know.
    When I was saying overnight, I meant about 9h.
    The car got 17k on the odometer, so I guess it's ok.
    Thanks for the feedback.

4. mwulff

mwulff Member

I would start by balancing the battery pack. Charge the car to 100% and wait until it says charging complete. Then immediately drive the car. Don't let it sit at 100% for long. Then check the range.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Let's start with the simple stuff. "Vampire drain" is dependent upon the settings. If you turn on energy saving mode, you'll reduce the number of miles lost per day, with the trade-off being that it can take 10 seconds for the car to become ready from the time you open the door.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

My 3 week old S85 gets 236-239 rated range on a 90% charge.

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

#7 caddieo, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Do you leave the car plugged in after charging is complete? Or do you disconnect and leave it unconnected for the rest of the night? If unplugged, the loss could be vampire drain eating into the charge. When I got up at about 6:15 this AM, my iPhone had a message saying that charging was completed to 166 miles at 2:28. It is now 7:25 with the car still connected, and a spot check a few minutes ago after reading your post showed it was still at 166 miles.

8. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Just to be clear you'll get vampire drain even when plugged in all night. If you want to avoid losing much schedule you charges to happen such that they'll finish by early morning.

I haven't bothered to schedule my charges, I just plug in and let the car charge whenever I get home. It's usually only 3-4 miles and isn't worth the hassle of the car gaining some additional range if we go out and about after I get home from work.