TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Newbie range anxiety

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cmc5dc, Jul 4, 2016.

1. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

Planning a trip from Bakersfield, CA to Paso Robles pulling a 3300 lbs airstream. EVtriplanner ( Model S 90D w/ 21" wheels) reports 2434 feet elevation while descending is 1975 feet. On paper it looks ok for a Model S 90D but I'm in a MX and unforeseen variables is what concerns me. Any thoughts?

2. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Have you done any test drives with the trailer? I saw a video of someone testing with a pretty big trailer and the X on YouTube
    You may already have seen it, but he confirms about a 30% range loss for the trailer. So if you want a 20% buffer, I would plan on only about 50% rates range, which for your trip seems doable.

To reduce range anxiety even more you could top up at the Buttonwillow supercharger...

3. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

I saw that video some time ago. I was thinking of topping off at Buttonwillow SC to be safe as well but again that elevation concerns me. I think I'll test the range by going on the grapevine I-5 prior to.