Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my first EV road trip coming up. I've hear about "A Better Routeplanner" and gave it a shot. My car: 2021 Model S, 21" wheels... so theoretically about 375mi at 100% charge. I was surprised then to see that it recommended I go 252mi at which point it predicts a charge level of 18% remaining and recharge at a supercharger. That would indicate only ~307mi at 100% charge.

Does that make sense? What am I missing, and is "real world" range really that far off? Or am I not using this app the right way (wouldn't be shocked to be told that!).

Thanks

Energy consumption is highly affected by air resistance, which means speed and wind are very important factors. After that, terrain (hills), temperature, road conditions (rain, snow), addl weight in the car are all factors.
Since the EPA test is done at 55mph and slower, anytime you drive faster will mean less than EPA range. You can trust the ABRP estimate, provided you gave it the right parameters to work with. ABRP will also try to optimize total trip time. Since charging is faster when the SOC is low, ABRP will try to make you arrive at the charger with a low SOC. That is also configurable.

You can get close to rated EPA average if you drive 65 mph. A Better Route Planner is pretty close with their estimate for your mph input.

So those Edmonds numbers "do" reflect road trip behavior we see in our car.

And you will find out that you don't want to charge to 100% with SC. I usually stop at less than 70%. Only more if I need the range to go to the next one.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Thank you both! Follow up for dipper - I know (have heard) that the superchager speed slows down significantly as you approach 100%, so is that what you mean? Or is there another reason not to get to (or near) 100%? I was kind of planning 95%... but is that just a dumb idea?

The most efficient way to drive long distance is to stay in the 10-60% state of charge and not going down to 0 from 100%. Battery charges much faster at lower SOC. You will find plenty of charts. You should never plan trips with 375 miles between charges. It's not practical and you will not make it. The battery is used for other components and as @GtiMart mentioned, there are efficiency factors. Typical efficiency goes from avg 65-75%.

Reactions: Big Earl
Thank you both! Follow up for dipper - I know (have heard) that the superchager speed slows down significantly as you approach 100%, so is that what you mean? Or is there another reason not to get to (or near) 100%? I was kind of planning 95%... but is that just a dumb idea?

Yup, exactly. Not just near 100%. You can really see Tesla will slow down quickly at 50%+. That is why most of us just drive to next SC. Almost like hunt for the next SC game.

At 90%+, it is like Level 2 charging speed. If you have something to do while waiting, and not in a rush, you can even charge up to 100%. It will not hurt the battery when you drive right away. Idle at 100% is when the battery will have issue.

Thank you both! Follow up for dipper - I know (have heard) that the Supercharger speed slows down significantly as you approach 100%, so is that what you mean? Or is there another reason not to get to (or near) 100%? I was kind of planning 95%... but is that just a dumb idea?
Congratulations on your new Model S and welcome to the forum :cool: You should generally try to keep your car between 10% - 90% when possible for better main battery health.

I have my first EV road trip coming up. I've hear about "A Better Routeplanner" and gave it a shot. My car: 2021 Model S, 21" wheels... so theoretically about 375mi at 100% charge. I was surprised then to see that it recommended I go 252mi at which point it predicts a charge level of 18% remaining and recharge at a supercharger. That would indicate only ~307mi at 100% charge.

Does that make sense? What am I missing, and is "real world" range really that far off? Or am I not using this app the right way (wouldn't be shocked to be told that!).

Thanks
Part of the missing piece could be that ABRP has the software for your car as "alpha" so all the assumptions they are using are still being refined. My 2020 is still shown as a "beta" version. Also, if you haven't, click on "settings" and then "detailed" to enter specifics for the way you drive. It looks like ABRP is coming up with approx 320 Wh/Mile consumption. Not unrealistic if you have a heavy foot.

After 198k miles all over USA,. U will never be able to get a certain mileage. There are just too many variables. Temp. Load. Speed. Highway or town. Day or night. AC or heat. Biggest user of charge is heat or AC. Second is headlights. Then autopilot. I turned off DRL. The heater/AC run off 400 volt battery pack. Rest runs off 12volt battery, which is really not 12, more like 14. There is a battery charger that keeps 12 volt battery charged. The more u use the more u drain big battery pack. I drive to DC all the time, I get different mileage each time. Yes, it's close but never real. I have to watch it because my full mileage is only 225 now. Thankful there a lot more supercharger on 95 now.