Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie sentry/dashcam questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks friends. New owner here, Model S made 11/17.
The dashcam icon is there but the little light is not red. Anyone know what that means?
Also do I have to free up space on the USB drive (256GB) I used from time to time, or does it just write over old files?
Thanks

The dash cam goes on a 1 hour cycle unless you press the dash cam save icon, or if you have the settings To save dash cam videos on honk.

If you don’t see the red record icon, pull out the usb and put it back in. When I first got the car, I sometimes got usb device not recognized, unplugging and plugging it back in worked for me. I now check every once in a while and haven’t found it off yet.

Also check when you do a software update.

Sentry is different and saves based on motion, just know it kills your battery though.

A long press on the dashcam icon will stop/start the dashcam. You should long press it before removing the USB to stop it writing when you remove the USB. Try turning the Dashcam on with a long press. Also, the dashcam USB will fill up with Sentry and dashcam entries. Use the built in erase function, or remove it and erase unneeded clips on your computer occasionally.