Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie - should I buy monthly FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the subscription on 6/1 with 2023.12.5.4 and had FSD enabled that evening. As of noon 6/3 I have not seen any sign of an update.

I took it out for a short ride yesterday to test the stop sign feature, which worked well. Trying to turn right at the stop sign was a bit confusing and it seemed I had to turn off FSD to do the turn or it turned itself off.

I have my car in chill mode. I guess I will have to put myself in chill mode as well and hope that I get an update and can use FSDb. At this point, I would not pay $200/month for normal FSD.

I have been very happy with basic autopilot and am now using it for 95% of my highway driving. I don't drive that much, but already have 1026 miles on the car.
As your not on FSD Beta the car won’t turn at stop signs so not as confusing until you get it.

I took it out for a short ride yesterday to test the stop sign feature, which worked well. Trying to turn right at the stop sign was a bit confusing and it seemed I had to turn off FSD to do the turn or it turned itself off.
The FSD product is just a fancy form of Traffic Aware Cruise Control, where it will stop for lights and signs as it cruises along the road. If you want to change roads by turning, you have to make the turn yourself. The act of turning the wheel disengages FSD. After you complete the turn, you can manually reengage FSD. FSDb works the same way when you don't give it a destination, and I've used it that way.

So just as you enjoy basic autopilot, FSD can be handy for roads with lots of traffic lights and stop signs. However, I doubt that makes it worth $200/month for many people.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow

I have my car in chill mode. I guess I will have to put myself in chill mode as well and hope that I get an update and can use FSDb.
You can tell if it's in FSD when the tiny steering wheel icon at the top of your display is blue. But I'm not sure what you mean that turning right at a stop sign was a bit confusing and by hope you get an update and can use FSDb, because you said you were using it.

The FSD product is just a fancy form of Traffic Aware Cruise Control, where it will stop for lights and signs as it cruises along the road. If you want to change roads by turning, you have to make the turn yourself. The act of turning the wheel disengages FSD. After you complete the turn, you can manually reengage FSD. FSDb works the same way when you don't give it a destination, and I've used it that way.

So just as you enjoy basic autopilot, FSD can be handy for roads with lots of traffic lights and stop signs. However, I doubt that makes it worth $200/month for many people.

Absolutely not!
With FSD, if you route to a location, it will take you to that location, making all of the turns for you.
If you don't have a location specified, you aren't using FSD.

Reactions: pilotSteve and cdub
I did the subscription on 6/1 with 2023.12.5.4 and had FSD enabled that evening. As of noon 6/3 I have not seen any sign of an update.

I have my car in chill mode. I guess I will have to put myself in chill mode as well and hope that I get an update and can use FSDb. At this point, I would not pay $200/month for normal FSD.

I have been very happy with basic autopilot and am now using it for 95% of my highway driving. I don't drive that much, but already have 1026 miles on the car.
It sounds as if the car was not driving with a destination specified. In that case, since it doesn't know where it is going, it tends to go straight until it can't go further and then right.
To use FSD, you need to specify a destination, after all, it doesn't know where you are going.

Reactions: pilotSteve and cdub
It sounds as if the car was not driving with a destination specified. In that case, since it doesn't know where it is going, it tends to go straight until it can't go further and then right.
To use FSD, you need to specify a destination, after all, it doesn't know where you are going.
2023.12.5.4 isn't an FSDb release.

I think you're misreading the post one above you replied to. @JB47394 is correct on that traditional "legacy" FSD doesn't take turns.

@Joe2765 is still awaiting a push to FSDb.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394

I have found FSD Beta 11.3.6 very much better than autopilot, and worth the subscription price (at least for long road trips). It really is quite capable now. I'll probably only subscribe for road trips.

Reactions: drdumont
I certainly wouldn't shell out $15K without being able to try the software. I didn't buy my first Tesla until after I had rented a Model 3 for a weekend and a 500 mile round trip in the Winter. Indeed, I ordered my first Model 3 the hour I got home. I would do the same with FSD if I had any interest in it at all.
( I had a loaner for 3 days, and it has FSD. I got tired of trying to anticipate the next way the car would try to kill me. Sorry, Charlie... ).
So after 18 months and 35K miles, I sold the first Model 3 SR+ for more than I paid for it, and put that $15K towards updating to a M3LR with white interior. IMHO, much better use of my money.
I'm really not anti progress or anti technology. But after 76 years, I still put my trust more into the good old MK I Mod I human brain, eyeballs and accessories attached thereto. It has served me well.

I am still kind of a newbie (since April) and I have tried it twice. My second month of the subscription is only 19 days due to a suspension. I won’t keep paying the $99 every month but can justify it when I’m traveling for business; the mileage reimbursement pays for it. There are actually many ways to justify it (in my mind); it’s about convincing the wife.

I use the TACC on trips. Sometimes. About as much as I used to use the Cruise Control in my gassers. I drove over the road for many years without cruise control, never really got in the habit when they came into use in trucks.
However, comma, I will admit the lanekeeping and speed control come in handy when I am having a snack or something.
Bottom line is, I enjoy driving the cars, and don't get lulled into complacence.

Probably bought EAP then FSD subscription is $99.;)
Good to know, I didn't know that. But then that makes the FSD subscription and even better deal. That means you have your car on that for over 10 years before it reaches the current $12k cost of FSD. There really is no reason to pay to own FSD, especially since it doesn't increase the value by much when you sell/trade it.

Good to know, I didn't know that. But then that makes the FSD subscription and even better deal. That means you have your car on that for over 10 years before it reaches the current $12k cost of FSD. There really is no reason to pay to own FSD, especially since it doesn't increase the value by much when you sell/trade it.
Actually the same deal as you have to buy EAP for 6k and FSD is reduced to 6k or 99$ per month. So still 5 years.