Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie switching from ICE to EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...on the highway doing doing 100+ it can get pretty squirrely and scary...

I've had my car well over 100 mph on a couple of occasions ( Mexico/closed course/professional driver ;-) and never felt anything approaching "...squirelly or scary..." Not saying you didn't experience that, but maybe there's something up with the alignment or tire pressures on your car? My car feels planted at any speeds I care to drive... (shrug)

I've had my car well over 100 mph on a couple of occasions ( Mexico/closed course/professional driver ;-) and never felt anything approaching "...squirelly or scary..." Not saying you didn't experience that, but maybe there's something up with the alignment or tire pressures on your car? My car feels planted at any speeds I care to drive... (shrug)
That depends on what is your reference for planted. Compare to 911 - it's not planted at all. Compare to Corolla - very much.

That is really interesting. So, I drive from Cleveland to Toledo every week which is about 85 miles on the Ohio turnpike in my current BMW 530xi. Speeds on the turnpike can be really fast and I generally will go from 75 mph to 90 mph, especially during this Pandemic, as people that are on the turnpike are driving faster. Can I do that with a Tesla Model 3 LR and make the round trip or will I have to baby it at some point? I really don’t want to worry about changing my driving habits. I do enjoy driving fast like that, probably from my days living in Europe. :)
170miles r/t at speeds between 75 and 90? Should be doable, but you might have to slow a little in winter. Punch your data into abetterrouteplanner.com to be sure.

My references are my most recent DDs: a tuned Audi S6 and a lowered/tuned Audi S4.

I've been up to 130mph and didn't feel any different than other sports sedans i've driven including a 3 series, Lexus IS, Infiniti, etc... Its very stable and hits those speeds pretty easily.
All those are similar to model 3 - they all get less planted with speed. And if you haven't been yet in high speed traction loss - you might treat that as a confident driving.

Model 3 Performances suspension has very floaty rear for the speed it can go to. It's not a wheel alignment or manufacturing defect. It's just a cost of comfort. You can drive it fast, but with height changes, bumps and steering input it becomes sketchy like any other "sports" sedan. Going straight on a flat road - no problem. Going within US speed limits - no problem as well.

It happens every time to me around the 115 to 130 mark when making a slight turn on the highway. I cant even imagine on a track. It does not happen going straight on a perfect road unless I brake hard then it goes all over the place. Aggressive driving no doubt but Ive been driving the same stretch of highway for 11 years now daily and my m3 did not feel like that at all with springs on it but comparing the adjusting shocks and upgraded springs to the corolla like shocks on the m3p is apples and oranges .

Cant wait to see how it behave with a good suspension and being lowered. :).

Last edited:
There are a lot of factors. First time on track with one of my cars, I had the alignment done, but they didn't really crank down on the bolts. I'd move the toe out on teh rear every time I'd brake. Back straight of Road Atlanta got really squirrely over 110 or so. This was a 944 Turbo on Hoosiers. Ended up finding the problem, and realighned and tightened between each session. After that, proper alighment, tightened with good tools, golden. Next up, my 968. It had a torque biasing diff, rather than a plate style. Going into 10A at nearly 140MPH and getting hard on teh brakes was enough to test one's faith. Car went all over teh place. Just4 have to hold on for dear life. Plate style diff does not do that.

Haven't tracked the Tesla, don't expect to. Have no desire to drive that kind of speed on teh highway, so I have never felt the car feel unstable. I've had it over 90 passing people a few times. But never as fast as I'd be on a track. Don't really care. Point is, unless there is an inherent aerodynamic issue, there are other factors coming into play than just the car, itself. Biggest single factor, if you want my brutal honest opinion is expectation. If you are skeptical of the car, you'll think it is loose. If you are confident, you will think it is stale.

Sorry - what would you suggest we compare the Model 3P to if not to competitive/similar sports sedans??
I would expect BMW m2 or m3 compares with Model 3 P+, but regular BMW 3 series with regular model 3. They are not. P+ as sketchy as regular, just a bit lower and harder. Still too high, too soft and not uptight enough in the rear.

I would expect BMW m2 or m3 compares with Model 3 P+, but regular BMW 3 series with regular model 3. They are not. P+ as sketchy as regular, just a bit lower and harder. Still too high, too soft and not uptight enough in the rear.

The Model 3 Performance doesn't sit as low or ride as firmly as an M2 or M3 by design - that's one of the factors that make it a much better daily driver than either of those. I personally wouldn't want the ride to be any firmer than it already is. That may not be best for the racetrack, but it's better for the other 99.9% of the time the car is being driven.

The Model 3 Performance doesn't sit as low or ride as firmly as an M2 or M3 by design - that's one of the factors that make it a much better daily driver than either of those. I personally wouldn't want the ride to be any firmer than it already is. That may not be best for the racetrack, but it's better for the other 99.9% of the time the car is being driven.
I mean it's up to personal preference, but M2 and M3 are made as daily drive cars. They are not really track ready at all. It's just a performance versions of sport sedan directly comparable to model 3. They don't have smaller clearance as well. I would expect similar upscale of suspension in P+ version, but it's not there. 335 is also sketchy while M3 is not.

Maybe, because primary market is in the US which demands softer and less compliant suspensions compare to EU.

You must be still on OEM 20". Throw some 18" and a good aftermarket suspension, and it can be both more comfortable, firmer, and more composed at the same time.

I mean it's up to personal preference, but M2 and M3 are made as daily drive cars. They are not really track ready at all. It's just a performance versions of sport sedan directly comparable to model 3. They don't have smaller clearance as well. I would expect similar upscale of suspension in P+ version, but it's not there. 335 is also sketchy while M3 is not.

Maybe, because primary market is in the US which demands softer and less compliant suspensions compare to EU.
Truth .. my 135, and 435 felt similar to my model 3P but ive always gone with lowering springs which made it way better. Im at a crossroads if I should go springs or coil overs for this car. Wish they had a better shock option for the performance but maybe we will get a model 3 plaid one day that will check all my boxes :drool: