Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie to Tesla - Center Screen Black, Multiple Warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys:

I just bought a 2013 P85 and all was well until I started getting some warning messages. First came the TPMS warning saying that it couldn’t read from all of the sensors. Then I started having issues with the Bluetooth not connecting. After looking it up, I did a deep reset of the center touchscreen. After thirty seconds of having my foot on the brake and holding in the two scroll wheels the center touchscreen went black. From what I could gather, it should have shown the Tesla logo and came back. Well, it’s been about 2 days and.....no.

I started to think that the 12 volt battery was low and not able to turn on the screen. I found the Fuse that the touchscreen used and tested voltage. Weirdly enough there was no voltage on the fuse (car off or on). I tested the fuse for the drivers side seat electric motor and it also showed no voltage. Even though I could move the seat. I then took off the nosecone and tested voltage there. I saw 13.47 volts. So that has me puzzled. Yes, its a Tesla and a little different than an ICE car, but 12 volt is 12 volt. I would assume that I would see voltage on the fuses.

After doing this, I did see some posts on the forums about pulling fuse 51 for a few minutes. I pulled it out and inspected the fuse. The fuse itself was fine. After waiting a few minutes, I reseated the fuse. I then pressed on the brake pedal and it said that it was starting up the systems. Still no center screen. After doing this, now I don’t have turn signals. I know the front headlights don’t show when I put the turn signals on and the screen behind the steering wheel doesn’t show that the turn signals are on either.

As of now, I am at a loss. One possible reason that this could be happening is the eMMC issue that is floating around. It could also be that the fuse 51, while intact, may actually be bad. The car drives, can charge and pretty much do everything just not show the center screen. It might just be better to schedule an appointment with the service center, but wanted to see if there was anything else I can try before I do.

It does sound like the EMMC issue. If you have warranty on the car that covers the screen, just let Tesla deal with it. If not, Tony can fix your EMMC for a pretty reasonable price so you dont have to buy a whole new MCU. Keep us posted and good luck. Sorry this happened to your new to you Tesla.

Unfortunately it does not have a warranty. From what I heard, the cost to do an out of warranty MCU replacement is about $2,000? For that price, I am wondering if I would want to just do the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for $2,500 and call it a day.

Unfortunately it does not have a warranty. From what I heard, the cost to do an out of warranty MCU replacement is about $2,000? For that price, I am wondering if I would want to just do the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for $2,500 and call it a day.

That's probably what I would do if I were you. However, your car might not be eligible for the upgrade yet.

Thanks. I’ll give the service center a call tomorrow and see. I want to give them a call anyways because the battery charge at 90% is only 200 miles. The car only has a little over 50,000 miles on it so that seems like an excessive amount of battery degradation for that many miles. Unless if the previous owners only used super chargers, then maybe.

Keep in mind if it is the eMMC issue and you get the upgrade, Tesla might charge more than $2500 as your “core return” could be worth less than a functional MCU1.

It would be a d_ck move for sure, but it seems like some SC staff are better than others from what I have read.

I thought the $2,500 was without a core? It would make sense that you are replacing with an existing functional unit. In any case, I would like to have the screen back and not have this issue happen again. As random said, I might not be eligible for the upgrade, which makes it a mute point. It would be nice to have Netflix and Hulu for when I am stationary.

I thought the $2,500 was without a core? It would make sense that you are replacing with an existing functional unit. In any case, I would like to have the screen back and not have this issue happen again. As random said, I might not be eligible for the upgrade, which makes it a mute point. It would be nice to have Netflix and Hulu for when I am stationary.
I could be wrong (as I have no plan to spend $2500 and lose radio tuner functionality), but it was my impression that Tesla kept all of your old parts (MCU1, old IC display, etc.) at that price.

I could be wrong (as I have no plan to spend $2500 and lose radio tuner functionality), but it was my impression that Tesla kept all of your old parts (MCU1, old IC display, etc.) at that price.
$2500 included the core charge based on what others who have done the upgrade have said.

Tesla obviously makes no mention of this unless you ask for your original MCU to be returned to you.

More shady Tesla operations in action.

Reactions: InternetDude
Hey guys:

quick update. Took the car out real quick and noticed that the car did not charge at all last night. I got in and was able to start the car and drive. Went to the store and 10 minutes later, got back and the car was in a deep sleep. I pushed the brake pedal in and the screen behind the steering wheel came up with the Tesla logo and was starting up the systems. I was able to drive after that. I did notice that the DRL were not on.

So now compounding issues.....

I did also see something about the loose ground. That will be something to check before going to the service center. Is there just one ground connection or multiple and where might they be?

@tomas, I've been tracking reports of failed eMMCs on TM and TMC. The price for Tesla SC to repair an eMMC issue with a refurbished MCU1 is $1300 plus labor and tax. They keep your core. Some SCs have told owners its a $500 and some other owners report $1,000 to keep the core. Either way, not worth it. The only part you might need later is the Tegra board (where the eMMC is mounted) inside the MCU. And you can't get one fixed in advance and swap it later. Does not work that way.

@Sloan_p85 I think you have an eMMC problem. Reach out to @TonyT here on TMC. Use him and wait until (my guess) this summer or early fall and MCU2 will be available to your year car. Then move up to it. Its great.

Thanks. I’ll give the service center a call tomorrow and see. I want to give them a call anyways because the battery charge at 90% is only 200 miles. The car only has a little over 50,000 miles on it so that seems like an excessive amount of battery degradation for that many miles. Unless if the previous owners only used super chargers, then maybe.
you probably have a batterygate battery too. Tesla cripples them because they don't want to warranty things.

Reactions: johnman10 and Barry
Thanks everyone. Another quick update:

I did not have any scheduled charging enabled yet, but it looks like it charges up to about 45% and then stops. I also checked the ground stud in the passenger side behind the frunk tub and it was solid. So it definitely looks like an eMMC issue. The problem is this is my daily driver. If I have Tesla do the swap on the MCU, is there any warranty that comes with it?

As for the battery; I have seem the term batterygate before but have not looked extensively into it. Is this where they they change the battery from 400V to 350V?

@Sloan_p85, There's conflicting opinion on the warranty. And since so many/much of the repairs are 1 year many people including SC personnel think it applies to the MCU replacement. A good many owners have reported that SC personnel reported say its only 1 year. I believe one reason that the SC personnel say this, is because they didn't check to be sure, or they just assume its 1 year like nearly everything else. I do not. And here's why. On Tesla's own web site under warranty, there's an exception to the one year rule. Fully documented. Read for yourself.

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
Wall Connectors: 4 years
Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years
Vehicle Warranty

Good news?

By the way, you deserve an atta-boy for coming to ownership and already be so well read on Tesla and Tesla stuff. Most people that show up are still asking 'why do I need to use the fob to open the door?"