Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie trying to understand wraps and protection and colors and all that...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get your car (Model X) color-wrapped, do you still need a ceramic coating and clear bra? I'm trying to figure out if it is more cost effective to
1. Pay for non-white color, plus clear bra and ceramic coating, or
2. Get white and have color wrapped (assuming you then don't need ceramic coating, etc.)

At least with color wrapping, you have more color choices too!

I am not sure which thing goes where, and how much these things cost, but I do know I am moving to a snowy weather state next month, and picking up my 2020 Model X next week.

None of these things are “necessary” and I’d wager most owners haven’t done either PPF or ceramic, much less gotten their car wrapped in a different color. Basically, bear in mind that the responses here are a subset of obsessives (myself included). That all said, my take is:

In a snowy/northern climate, at least a full front PPF wrap is essential if you don’t want your paint chipped to hell by sand/salt. Ceramic coating is a nice addition that is more for easier cleaning and fewer fine scratches but is by no means absolutely essential. I happen to have both on my car and I stand by my choice.

A full vinyl wrap will still get damaged by rocks/sand/salt, so I know some people have put PPF over it but I’m by no means an expert on full wraps. If you want it, ceramic coating should be applied over wraps for the same reasons described above. Matte wraps will be more forgiving than gloss wraps. Other folks will need to chime in on this topic.

Reactions: XPEL
only if you are seeking more protection and would subject the car to the elements frequently.

vinyl wraps - only if you want a different color, gloss, satin or matte. minimal protection
ppf - replaceable protection if you're fine with underlying color. gloss or satin
ceramic coating - hard shell that goes on like wax. should be professionally done as it causes more harm than good otherwise. gloss

i agree with above and would suggest ppf. sounds like you are looking more for protection rather than color change. your 1 and 2 options go separate ways. 1 is more protection, 2 just changes the color.

Reactions: XPEL
If you get your car (Model X) color-wrapped, do you still need a ceramic coating and clear bra? I'm trying to figure out if it is more cost effective to
1. Pay for non-white color, plus clear bra and ceramic coating, or
2. Get white and have color wrapped (assuming you then don't need ceramic coating, etc.)

At least with color wrapping, you have more color choices too!

I am not sure which thing goes where, and how much these things cost, but I do know I am moving to a snowy weather state next month, and picking up my 2020 Model X next week.

- Do you still need ceramic coating and clear bra if you get a vinyl wrap? That's completely up to you. Each provides different features and benefits.

- Vinyl Wraps (color-changing material) are generally 2-3mils (.001" thick) and are designed for looks, not protection.

- PPF is generally 7-10mils thick and is designed for protection.

- Ceramic Coatings are designed for ease of maintenance and enhanced appearance.

All 3 items are separate and can be used together. For example, we have a lot of customers that do rallies. For these, they like to vinyl wrap some crazy color or theme, then put PPF on top to protect the vinyl, and then get it ceramic coated so it's easier to clean.

The only thing to make sure you don't do is to have a ceramic coating applied first and then PPF or vinyl on top. Always add Ceramic Coatings as your top layer as ceramic coatings can interfere with the adhesion of the vinyl and PPF over time.

Reactions: Joesage