Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie USB music question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Folks,

I just took delivery on a 2020 Model X (Happy Xmas to me!). I am new to Teslas (not to computers-- half a century working with them) so I'm hoping this has a simple and obvious "you didn't plug it in" answer.

My problem: I can't find USB in Media Player. I see Radio, Phone, Streaming, etc. But not USB. Am I looking in the wrong place entirely? Here's what I know

1-- The USB ports work. I checked that by looking at some TeslaCam clips on the thumb drive I set up for that.
2-- I tried three different thumb drives, no luck, so it ain't a bad drive. Sizes 1,4, and 32 GB. Nada.
3-- I know how to format drives, as is evidenced by my making a TeslaCam drive (which I have confirmed is working properly and recording clips). FAT32, MBR. Double-checked with Get Info and Disk Utility on my computer. Yup-- that's what they are.
4-- I tried copying some music to the unused part of the thumb drive that has TeslaCam on it ('cause it's plenty big -- 64 B, and I know the Tesla can use it). Copied over an entire album folder and also a few individual MP3 tracks. Still no USB music option that I can find.

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

- Format the USB to Fat32
- Create a folder (directory) named 'Music'
- Put your music files in the Music folder

Not sure if it matters how the files are organized or not? Mine are in folders Artist > Album

Apparently if you have TeslaCam folder on same partition/drive it will not pickup the Music folder, so you need to create separate partitions on the same drive or use separate hardware.

Dear H,

Creating a Music folder turned out not to make any difference...

... but rebooting the Tesla did! After the reboot, the USB icon showed up and files played just fine. Problem solved.

It's much like learning any new computer system with an unfamiliar OS... 'cept this one can kill you [grin].

Thanks for your help!

pax / Ctein

Reactions: Tam and house9
Dear H,

Creating a Music folder turned out not to make any difference...

... but rebooting the Tesla did! After the reboot, the USB icon showed up and files played just fine. Problem solved.

It's much like learning any new computer system with an unfamiliar OS... 'cept this one can kill you [grin].

Thanks for your help!

pax / Ctein
We just picked up our 2020 MSLR+ and our sentry camera's USB drive works fine, but our music media USB drive does not show up in the media tool bar. Each USB drive is in separate USB ports. The media drive is running, based on how hot it gets, just is not being picked up in the media tool bar. I can use it in my pc and it works and worked fine in my 2015 MS85D
I have tried re-booting the screen but no luck. We have the Premium Connectivity pak

Dear B,

Well, that's a puzzlement, on the face of it. Time for a brute-force approach:

1) Have you checked to make sure both USB ports work properly? Is everything the same if you swap the sentry camera and music USB drives? Rebooting after swaps, of course.

2) If that doesn't fix it, let's find out if there's something weird about the music drive, even if it worked fine in your old car and on your PC. Grab another thumb drive, any one you have, format as per instructions, copy over one MP3 track to it. Go plug it into the car, reboot, see if you can see the music.

If you can, happy day. Maybe reformatting and rewriting the original music drive will fix it, maybe you just have to toss it. But you have a solution.

If you still can't see the music, I am totally out of ideas.

pax / Ctein

[ Please excuse any word-salad. Dragon Dictate in training! ]

Dear B,

1) Have you checked to make sure both USB ports work properly? Is everything the same if you swap the sentry camera and music USB drives? Rebooting after swaps, of course.

2) If that doesn't fix it, let's find out if there's something weird about the music drive, even if it worked fine in your old car and on your PC. Grab another thumb drive, any one you have, format as per instructions, copy over one MP3 track to it. Go plug it into the car, reboot, see if you can see the music.

If you can, happy day. Maybe reformatting and rewriting the original music drive will fix it, maybe you just have to toss it. But you have a solution.

pax / Ctein

Will do, I started to change the USB ports but the camera wouldn't turn off (red dot on screen)
Thought it best to read up first
Another oddity is the wireless charging pad will not charge my wife's iphone.
It is plugged into USB #1

Dear B,

pax / Ctein

Aha! You nailed!
Many thanks to you for pointing out the obvious. It was the USB point that I was using.
I removed the camera USB and switched it with the non functioning wireless charger pad.
I now have the media drive in the #1 USB port and the camera drive in the #2 USB port and both are working
Which is makinging me lean toward buying the Dragon USB hub.
I know I have two more USB's in the back of the armrest but hate hanging the wires over the console.
Now I am off to try to get the Home Link to work. I may have to wait for the newer software 2020.28.3,
which is suppose to help the WiFi
Many Thanks!