Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie: What to order with wall charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

docdeb27

M3 LR AWD Pearl White Prem Int.
Aug 16, 2018
SHOREHAM
I am ordering a wall charger for my AWD, ext battery Model 3. I assumed one needed a wall charger for $500 for most efficient/quick charging. What else do I need to charge on the road and does what I need already come in the car package? The technical level in this forum is way over my head, Have an electrician with my solar company installing charger,

The car will come with a mobile charger with NEMA 5-15 (normal wall outlet) and NEMA 14-50 which is a 240v 50amp. You will also get a J1772 to tesla adapter so that you can charge at non tesla only level 2 chargers. This should cover most of your mobile charging needs but you can also get extra connectors for the mobile charger to fit other plug types if you know you are going to be somewhere you may plug into a dryer/welder/ etc type plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
There will probably be those who chime in that you don't have to have a wall charger and that you can install a NEMA 14-50 (240 volt/50 amp) outlet, like those used by electric cooktops, and use your mobile charger at home, too. I'm a fan of the wall chargers, though, because I think they're more robust and nicer looking and having a wall charger allows me to just keep my mobile charger in the car all the times.

Thank you for explaining NEMA 5-10 and 6-50. So basically, I only need what comes with the car and my wall charger, properly installed. Thanks again.

Correct. You don't even *need* a wall charger. If you want to save money on the charging equipment you can just have an NEMA 14-50 outlet installed.

Edit: lol @Rockster beat me to my response and the reply to my response.

• Funny
Reactions: RBowen
The car will come with a mobile charger with NEMA 5-10 (normal wall outlet) and NEMA 6-50 which is a 240v 50amp.
No. The adapters are NEMA 5-15 which is the usual household 120V outlet and 14-50 which is the usual 240V 50A outlet that RVs use and is what Tesla recommends you install in your garage. There is a 6-50 adapter available for purchase if someone already has that outlet, but it’s not standard with the car. Ther is no such thing as 5-10.

To answer the OPs original question, you don’t need anything other than a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in your garage. It will charge your car overnight using the UMC. Wall Connector is faster charging but not necessary for most people. You don’t need anything for traveling— you’ll mostly use superchargers, occasional Wall Connectors or J1772s at hotels.

I'm a fan of the wall chargers, though, because I think they're more robust and nicer looking and having a wall charger allows me to just keep my mobile charger in the car all the times.
But there’s no need to keep the UMC in the car. There is no situation when it would be used in daily driving. Most of us who’ve had it for years leave it hanging on a hook on the garage wall and only take it with us when going on an out of town trip (and even then we’re unlikely to use it with all the superchargers now and 310 mile range). For those who say “But what about emergencies?” I would reply I can’t think of an emergency that would take me out of town without stopping home first.

But there’s no need to keep the UMC in the car. There is no situation when it would be used in daily driving. Most of us who’ve had it for years leave it hanging on a hook on the garage wall and only take it with us when going on an out of town trip (and even then we’re unlikely to use it with all the superchargers now and 310 mile range). For those who say “But what about emergencies?” I would reply I can’t think of an emergency that would take me out of town without stopping home first.

It's true that in more than 100,000 miles of Tesla travel I can't remember a single "emergency" in which I needed to use my mobile charger unexpectedly. For me, though, it has to stay somewhere and stored in the car is as good a place as any. That way, when I'm taking a trip that requires it (say, to in-laws where I use the mobile charger), there's zero worry that I'll forget to put it in the car.

It's true that in more than 100,000 miles of Tesla travel I can't remember a single "emergency" in which I needed to use my mobile charger unexpectedly. For me, though, it has to stay somewhere and stored in the car is as good a place as any. That way, when I'm taking a trip that requires it (say, to in-laws where I use the mobile charger), there's zero worry that I'll forget to put it in the car.
On the east end of the North fork on Long Island there are currently no charging stations at all. Elon promised a charger at the Tesla museum in Shoreham near me but no one anywhere has any eta. if ever.

There will probably be those who chime in that you don't have to have a wall charger and that you can install a NEMA 14-50 (240 volt/50 amp) outlet, like those used by electric cooktops, and use your mobile charger at home, too. I'm a fan of the wall chargers, though, because I think they're more robust and nicer looking and having a wall charger allows me to just keep my mobile charger in the car all the times.
I feel the same.