Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie: What to order with wall charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the east end of the North fork on Long Island there are currently no charging stations at all. Elon promised a charger at the Tesla museum in Shoreham near me but no one anywhere has any eta. if ever.
If you live in Shoreham and you’re installing a Wall Connector at home, why do you care that there aren’t charging stations near you? You’re getting a 310 mile range car. What you need are superchargers 150-250 miles in the direction you’re traveling, not superchargers or J1772s on your end on Long Island.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
But there’s no need to keep the UMC in the car. There is no situation when it would be used in daily driving. Most of us who’ve had it for years leave it hanging on a hook on the garage wall and only take it with us when going on an out of town trip (and even then we’re unlikely to use it with all the superchargers now and 310 mile range). For those who say “But what about emergencies?” I would reply I can’t think of an emergency that would take me out of town without stopping home first.

I think the mobile connector is fine and considered going that way myself.

For people like me the more likely scenario is simply forgetting it when I'm doing something planned and do need it.

Other reasons;

1. Faster charging.
2. Ability to daisy chain second HPWC at a later date.
3. Installation removes incident where young child starts playing with the mobile connector and the 30 amp outlet it's connected to.
4. Possible tax deduction for 2018.
5. Looks cool.

Reactions: RBowen
Riverhead is 30 minutes away. Mt. Sinai is 20. That's the closest I see.
I guess I don't know your exact location in Shoreham but the one is Mt. Sinai is at Heritage Park and Google Maps says it is about 13 minutes away...but I guess that depends on your starting location.

As @TexasEV mentioned, if you're putting in a home charging solution, you really wouldn't ever use any local public chargers anyways. It's also quite possible there are locations in Shoreham that just haven't been added to Plugshare yet. Whenever I travel, if I spot a hotel or store with unlisted public charging, I create a listing on Plugshare so that others can find them easier.

I guess I don't know your exact location in Shoreham but the one is Mt. Sinai is at Heritage Park and Google Maps says it is about 13 minutes away...but I guess that depends on your starting location.

As @TexasEV mentioned, if you're putting in a home charging solution, you really wouldn't ever use any local public chargers anyways. It's also quite possible there are locations in Shoreham that just haven't been added to Plugshare yet. Whenever I travel, if I spot a hotel or store with unlisted public charging, I create a listing on Plugshare so that others can find them easier.

Just now learning about these programs and aps. We have the Tesla museum on Tesla St. in Shoreham that Elon promised to place a charger at. THAT is like 2 minutes from me. I can sit at Firehouse and have coffee while car charges.
You could, but why would you want to if you’re able to plug in at home and have the car charge every night while you’re sleeping? Supercharging is more expensive than home charging— for good reason, so the spaces aren’t taken up by people who could charge at home but choose not to.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
You could, but why would you want to if you’re able to plug in at home and have the car charge every night while you’re sleeping? Supercharging is more expensive than home charging— for good reason, so the spaces aren’t taken up by people who could charge at home but choose not to.
Just looking for the security of another option. We lose power often here. Many times for a week. My portable generator will not charge my tesla faster than a regular plug.

Well if you lose power, a nearby supercharger may be dark also. Best to plug in every night and keep your charge level set at 90%. If you lose power you will always have the range to drive to one of the superchargers on Long Island that’s working, or one of the many J1772s that aren’t too far away.

Reactions: brkaus
No. The adapters are NEMA 5-15 which is the usual household 120V outlet and 14-50 which is the usual 240V 50A outlet that RVs use and is what Tesla recommends you install in your garage. There is a 6-50 adapter available for purchase if someone already has that outlet, but it’s not standard with the car. Ther is no such thing as 5-10.

To answer the OPs original question, you don’t need anything other than a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in your garage. It will charge your car overnight using the UMC. Wall Connector is faster charging but not necessary for most people. You don’t need anything for traveling— you’ll mostly use superchargers, occasional Wall Connectors or J1772s at hotels.

I'm preparing my garage for our Model S 75D, so I polled a few of my neighbors who have Teslas. They all just use the NEMA 14-50 with no wall charger and they say that works for them. My electrician is going to charge $250 to install a 14-50 outlet on a 50-amp circuit. My electric panel is full, but he just has to combine a couple of existing breakers to make room for the 50-amp, so no panel expansion is needed. Interestingly, he said he's done dozens of installs for Tesla owners and he said every one had a wall charger included. He thought Tesla required them and asked me when they changed policy. He was obviously mis-informed.

I purchased the NEMA 14-30 adapter for the UMC. My car was delivered much sooner than expected and right after I returned from a trip out of the country. I did not have time to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage before I took delivery, BUT my electric dryer is located just off the garage. In the USA, most electric dryers use a NEMA 14-30 plug. I used the NEMA 14-30 adapter until my NEMA 14-50 outlet was installed.

My thinking is that a NEMA 14-30 adapter would be most useful if you were visiting an out of town friend who does not have an electric vehicle. There is a decent chance that there could be access to a dryer electrical outlet close to the garage. This is what the NEMA 14-30 looks like.

14-30_individual_1104937-00-B_0.png

I purchased the NEMA 14-30 adapter for the UMC. My car was delivered much sooner than expected and right after I returned from a trip out of the country. I did not have time to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage before I took delivery, BUT my electric dryer is located just off the garage. In the USA, most electric dryers use a NEMA 14-30 plug. I used the NEMA 14-30 adapter until my NEMA 14-50 outlet was installed.

My thinking is that a NEMA 14-30 adapter would be most useful if you were visiting an out of town friend who does not have an electric vehicle. There is a decent chance that there could be access to a dryer electrical outlet close to the garage. This is what the NEMA 14-30 looks like.

14-30_individual_1104937-00-B_0.png