Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie winter tire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a reason why I don't get tire service from CT. I would just spend the extra 350$ and get a set of Nokians or Conti (for tires only). Superior tire.
Just called a 3rd one and same story. I can buy them but they’ll be finished after one season according to them…..also according to them only the Pirelli Sottozeros are made for electric cars. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just called a 3rd one and same story. I can buy them but they’ll be finished after one season according to them…..also according to them only the Pirelli Sottozeros are made for electric cars. 🤦🏻‍♂️
That much is incorrect: there are currently no tires made specifically for EVs.

Goodyear is developing some, but I don’t think they’re on the market yet.

The Pirelli’s are what Tesla supplies for winter tires.

My expected delivery is Feb 1-Mar 1 so I’m starting to look into winter tires because in the Q it’s the law. I found a great deal at Can Tire for Motomaster Winter Edge but when I spoke to them they said those are not suitable for the Model 3 because it’s too heavy. Now I know Tesla sells and recommends Sottozero snow tires but they are almost double the price. What are you guys riding on as far as winter tires go ?
CT does not manufacture their own tires. I know for a fact that some Motomaster tires were made at same factories as Firestone and even their auto parts like shocks and struts are made at same factories as Monroe and oil and air filters are made by Fram for example. I worked at CT when I was in highschool and University 30 years ago, so Motomaster tires aren’t the worst in the market.

Reactions: tsxl
CT does not manufacture their own tires. I know for a fact that some Motomaster tires were made at same factories as Firestone and even their auto parts like shocks and struts are made at same factories as Monroe and oil and air filters are made by Fram for example. I worked at CT when I was in highschool and University 30 years ago, so Motomaster tires aren’t the worst in the market.
I’m not questioning the quality. I’m sure they are fine for what I need. It’s just that 3 CT stores I called told me they are not made for a Tesla. I’ve checked the load rating and it’s more than enough. So I don’t get why they all recommend against it.

I’m not questioning the quality. I’m sure they are fine for what I need. It’s just that 3 CT stores I called told me they are not made for a Tesla. I’ve checked the load rating and it’s more than enough. So I don’t get why they all recommend against it.
Ignorance is bliss is probably why. Maybe just never had whomever does that sort of list update it for the Model 3.

Any suggestions for wheels/rims? I want xice on mine, was thinking of getting OEM 18" wheels but Vaughan SC told them they are almost $500 each.

I also read somewhere if you get OEM wheels with Tesla TPMS + your own tires SC would install it with a fee and signing a waiver, but I guess not the case here, any recommendations on shops for installation?