Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newby is confused!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newby question (sorry if asking the obvious!)

My 2014 Model S came with a blue charging cable and a BMW charger (dont ask!). The BMW charger has a UK 3 pin plug and charges at about 6 miles per hour which is ok I guess.
Where can I use the blue cable? I assume it is for use at places where any EV can charge but I am not sure where in the UK they are based and cant seem to find a list or map of them.
What cable(s) for charging should come wih a Tesla S?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Normally a new or CPO vehicle would come with a connector bundle. Here's the USA version, or at least that's what the web site shows me: Tesla — Mobile Connector Bundle

A photo of the blue cable might help. I'm not too familiar with Tesla's UK accessories, but maybe it's the "32A blue single-phase commando" that came with the original kit, per Mobile Charging Cable Options — which also describes a few third-party cable and EVSE options.

Model S delivered in the UK in 2014 came with a blue Type2-Type2 cable (but NOT the UMC and no immediate means of charging from a domestic 13A socket). Later, they switched to delivering the UMC with 13A plug and 32A commando adapters (but no T2 cable).

UK Tesla forum members researched that BMW unit as being the cheapest readily available EVSE to charge from a 13A socket at that time, though Tesla soon afterwards started retailing a Mennekes-branded unit which was cheaper and better.

So it sounds like your car is one of the early batch and the original owner bought the BMW EVSE and had the Type2 cable supplied by Tesla.

You will find that you will need the Type2 cable at any public chargepoint other than Rapid chargers.

At rapid chargers, there is usually an AC cable available, but charging will be much slower than using the CHAdeMO - however, you need to buy the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to make use of that (a strongly recommended purchase if you do much long-distance travel and don't live in London or one of the other nodes on the Supercharger network).

The two cables you already have are all you need for 99% of slow charging away from home - the T2 cable for formal EV charging facilities, the 13A cable for scrounging a standard 13A socket at hotels, relatives and the like. There's very little reason to buy the UMC that later cars were supplied with.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele