TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Newby question ... what VIN # has gen2 rear seats?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by FinallyGotMyM3, Jul 1, 2018.

1. FinallyGotMyM3

I put in a reservation for M3 in May and then placed the order 6/29 for a RWD, 19 inch, metallic silver, EAP. I had a bit of buyers remorse for not buying the AWD so I called Tesla today to see if I could upgrade it but they said my car was ready and VIN was assigned. They would call early next week to schedule delivery !!

This obviously lends credit to the notion that they have a stockpile of cars waiting to move on July 1st to maximize the 200K credit. :)

But my fear is that these might be older cars which has been parked in a lot. So trying to figure out what VIN # the rear seats were upgraded to see if my car will have them or not.

Any other changes I should be aware of which can be tracked to VIN # or manufacturing date?

So super excited but was actually hoping to get a car a bit later in the year after more production cars, but I’m sure I’ll love it !

Thanks !!

2. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#2 ℬête Noire, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    The seat change was months back, IIRC around VIN #17000 plus/minus a few thousand. Hard to imagine they have inventory of completed cars left from then, although the switch over wasn't a bright line so maybe there was old seat inventory left knocking around in the system? Strikes me as quite unlikely that you wouldn't get Gen 2 seats.

3. FinallyGotMyM3

Thanks. That is my guess as well, but you never know so I wanted to check the rough VIN #s. Thanks for the quick reply !

4. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Member

My vin is 269xx so I fully expect to have gen 2 seats when I pick it up Saturday

5. flgreen

flgreen New Member

I am picking up saturday as well. 217xx

6. albtrssp

albtrssp Member

Picking up tomorrow - VIN 387xx

7. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I have VIN 21k and have the new seats. And yes I believe when I was picking up the car early June it was determined around 17k was the approx cut off for the new seats.

8. DannyHamilton

DannyHamilton Member

I have VIN 16xxx and have the new seats. I placed my order the last week of March and picked up my car in early May.

9. Blue in NC

Blue in NC Member

I thought I remembered that the new seats were in the range of VIN 14xxx but I could be wrong. To OP, I would not worry about a car sitting for a couple of weeks. I received mine over a month ago and everything seems great.

10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Ya one month is nothing to worry about it sitting.

If ones are worried. Should wait till after the new year.