Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newby question ... what VIN # has gen2 rear seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in a reservation for M3 in May and then placed the order 6/29 for a RWD, 19 inch, metallic silver, EAP. I had a bit of buyers remorse for not buying the AWD so I called Tesla today to see if I could upgrade it but they said my car was ready and VIN was assigned. They would call early next week to schedule delivery !!

This obviously lends credit to the notion that they have a stockpile of cars waiting to move on July 1st to maximize the 200K credit. :)

But my fear is that these might be older cars which has been parked in a lot. So trying to figure out what VIN # the rear seats were upgraded to see if my car will have them or not.

Any other changes I should be aware of which can be tracked to VIN # or manufacturing date?

So super excited but was actually hoping to get a car a bit later in the year after more production cars, but I’m sure I’ll love it !

Thanks !!

The seat change was months back, IIRC around VIN #17000 plus/minus a few thousand. Hard to imagine they have inventory of completed cars left from then, although the switch over wasn't a bright line so maybe there was old seat inventory left knocking around in the system? Strikes me as quite unlikely that you wouldn't get Gen 2 seats.

Last edited:
The seat change was months back, IIRC around VIN #17000 plus/minus a few thousand. Hard to imagine they have inventory of completed car left from them although the switch over wasn't a bright line so maybe there was old seat inventory left in the system? Strikes me as quite unlikely that you wouldn't get Gen 2 seats.
Thanks. That is my guess as well, but you never know so I wanted to check the rough VIN #s. Thanks for the quick reply !