Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England Driving With RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it depends on your situation....if you have to commute to work, for sure it's better to have AWD and winter tread. I picked up my M3 AWD in November and just drove this winter with the all season's on, since they were new.....next winter will switch to winter tires, significantly better snow traction. I have a home office but travel a lot, so really need good access to/from airports in all weather.

If you don't commute, and can avoid driving on heavy snow days.....I'm sure you could live with just the RWD, they do a good job plowing roads in New England.

What are you doing with your current car, or are you just moving into New England?

I live in metro west Boston. I have a LR RWD 3 with sport wheels (19 “). I put on snow tires/wheel combo (18”) in winter and it’s great. Definitely better than my G37x (AWD) with all-seasons. Wouldn’t recommend running the stock sport tires in the winter though.

Any thoughts of driving in New England area with RWD. Debating whether to get an M3 RWD or ICE-AWD. Do we need snow tires or AWD to drive in new england area.
Please advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: North75
I have a RWD M3 in the Boston area and had no problems with driving this past winter. I did install snow tires (X-ice). No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the car to spin out on snow. The Tesla traction control is really quite amazing.

Also, the Tesla is the best (and most fun) car I have ever owned.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
remember it's all about the tires! I took my RWD (not dual motor) to CT and we had a few decent snowfalls. I drove up to Montreal and up a mountain road in the snow. Not advisable probably but I made it. on the mountain road which was unploughed there was perhaps a couple of inches of fresh snow. It was amazing how the car drove even with the standard Michelin tires. It did slide a bit as I powered up the hills (to avoid getting stuck) but I never felt out of control, though certainly nervous. I did a little test in thicker snow in a parking lot which had a slight incline. Did have a nervous moment when the car just wouldnt move forward or backwards as the traction control detected slipping but I didn't try slip start. It got out ok. With snow tires I would imagine the car performing really well though

I drove my RWD in the Midwest winter (lake effect snow) with snow tires and had no issues. Made it up the driveway once when our Subaru Outback couldn’t. (It’s riding on snow tires in the winter also).

I live a couple towns over from you in Rhode Island, @rpk_nair. Unfortunately, I can't speak from personal experience about the Model 3 in snow, since I took delivery of my LR RWD in late March, after this winter's last snows. That said, I've never owned an AWD car and I've never felt the need for one -- but my job enables me to work from home most days, so I can avoid driving in blizzards.

This past winter, when I was considering what car to buy, YouTube was flooded with videos about Teslas in the snow. You may want to check out some of those videos. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I'm sure a search for "Tesla Model 3 snow" will find them.

Also, remember that AWD can help you get moving, but it won't help you stop. My understanding is that a lot of AWD vehicles end up in ditches because their owners don't really grok this. The advice I've always heard is that snow tires are more important than AWD for this reason, unless maybe you've got a steep driveway or live on a hilly street. That said, I don't know if the regenerative braking of an EV might change this dynamic.

Reactions: StealthP3D and KenC
I live north of Boston on the coast and have had my RWD 3 since March of 2018. No snows and I live on a hill. Yup last winter we did not have much snow so not really a good test. My plan has been to work from home if the weather is bad. If you need to go out get snow tires! AWD is not much help

M3 LR RWD with 18,000 miles currently at day 363... I have driven in several snow storms with the stock 19" summer tires and the balance of last winter with the 18" winter tires. I had no issues on steep hills with the snow tires. The summer tires in deep snow in a level parking lot was a hand full. I would recommend RWD with snow tires.

it depends on your situation....if you have to commute to work, for sure it's better to have AWD and winter tread. I picked up my M3 AWD in November and just drove this winter with the all season's on, since they were new.....next winter will switch to winter tires, significantly better snow traction. I have a home office but travel a lot, so really need good access to/from airports in all weather.

If you don't commute, and can avoid driving on heavy snow days.....I'm sure you could live with just the RWD, they do a good job plowing roads in New England.

What are you doing with your current car, or are you just moving into New England?

Thanks for your feedback. No, I'm in Mass for over a decade. I drive Camry and Lexus Rx350 AWD and most of the commute is to work. Being in IT, I work from home some days and avoid driving during snow storms. I have an inclined driveway (not very steep) and a couple of times I noticed my Camry wobble even with few inches of snow, so I wasn't sure if M3 RWD too will have the same problem. Never had this issue with Lexus AWD, even with all season tire.

Thank you all for your feedback. Appreciate it. Couple of main concern that I had is with battery drain during cold weather and traction in snow. Will visit Tesla showroom this weekend and checkout the options.
Battery drain is definitely a real thing. Even with the heater off or set very low, charge time is also quite dramatically affected. That said I was able to drive to Montreal and back without any issue. Day to day I would see no issue as long as you have a 240v outlet at home or work. I had free Tesla charging at work which was often busy but also free supercharging. Just needed a bit more planning than in somewhere like Cali.

Any thoughts of driving in New England area with RWD. Debating whether to get an M3 RWD or ICE-AWD. Do we need snow tires or AWD to drive in new england area.
Please advise.

My RWD drives better in the snow than I expected, however after my first winter I definitely intend to get snow tires for next year.

If you are used to AWD, and can afford it, I would recommend the upgrade just for peace of mind. Once you have it, you aren't going to be in a situation where you think "wow I really don't need all this control"

This winter was not a great test. However, my RWD with Nokian snow tires was unbelievably strong and reliable in bad weather. A few times I was in the office when it snowed multiple inches and I had no problems at all when it was time to hit the roads to go home. That said, it is unlikely I will go with snow tires again. The drivetrain of the Model 3 is so good and the conditions in which I drive are reasonable enough that Performance Winter/Snow tires are likely the best for me. The tires I have are overkill and they are not fun to drive on in dry or wet conditions. The good news is my tire shop stores the tires for me and I drive over there, pay them $100 or so and they swap them out for me. Well worth it.

AWD was not available when I purchased my Model 3. I almost waited before buying my RWD. I am glad I bought when I did since I do love the way the RWD drives and the only reason I would have waited for AWD was for snowy conditions. RWD with the right tires is a fine choice for Northeast winters in the U.S.

• Love
I have a RWD M3 in the Boston area and had no problems with driving this past winter. I did install snow tires (X-ice). No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the car to spin out on snow. The Tesla traction control is really quite amazing.

Also, the Tesla is the best (and most fun) car I have ever owned.
Which wheels did you use? Iam lookin for winter tires and wheels on RWD Model 3 in Boston.
Thanks

I live in metro west Boston. I have a LR RWD 3 with sport wheels (19 “). I put on snow tires/wheel combo (18”) in winter and it’s great. Definitely better than my G37x (AWD) with all-seasons. Wouldn’t recommend running the stock sport tires in the winter though.
Which wheels did you use? Iam lookin for winter tires and wheels on RWD Model 3 in Boston.
Thanks

I live in Maine and drive a LR RWD with 18" aeros. With snow tires, I feel I can go anywhere I need to go without issue.

I do try to wait until the roads have been plowed and sanded before going out. While not essential, I simply think it's safer, no matter what I am driving that day, to wait until the roads have been treated. And I, too, see a lot of AWD ICE cars off to the side of the road or stuck in a ditch after a storm.

One caution--order your winter tires NOW. The 18" size Michelin and Nokia winter tires sold out early last year and a lot of folks went without or settled for a different brand.

Thanks

Personally I put Blizzaks on my 18" aero wheels and they were spectacular for the winter, then ordered a fancy set of wheels and tires for the summer. No sense spending the wheel money for the winter.
You can always get a wheel and tire package delivered to your door ready to mount from tire rack.
But I recommend taking a quick ride to the guys at @EVTuning for anything else, including mounting and balancing onto existing wheels. Unlike Tire rack they also carry the best of the best Nokians.