Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be the 100 really is wired differently to be able to use current charging infra to bring cells to a higher voltage than before?
The cells might be the same and same number of cells as the existing 90, but as a much discussed article on Seeking Alpha theoreticized, the cells don't reach their full "potential" (pun unavoidable).
If my physics are correct, fewer cells in series, more in parallel, to get higher voltage per cell. Fewer cells adding up adding up to an output voltage, but each out have "more" voltage than in the old situation.

Even if I drove $150k cars, i don't think I could justify $10k for an 11% bigger fuel tank and very similar power and consumption.

Reactions: St Charles
They are already delivering it.... (that 10.8 car). Remember, we are talking MT's 2.5 second 0-60 using Tesla's new and improved marketing techniques :)

You may actually be right. They still list the P90DL at 532 hp at the motor shaft, and we know it's around 600 hp at the shaft. They've never acknowledged that the latest refresh P90D's have this extra power. fiksegts did a 2.65 0 to 60, so maybe trc's 10.8 car could get into the 2.599s. It's possible that the P100D will only deliver extra range and no extra performance.

10.80 with 0-60 in 2.65 is where we are now... no doubt it will be quicker....

Honestly, I'm not sure that I even care if it doesn't significantly improve top end times and there wasn't even a mention of getting to 155 faster (unlike before where they CLAIMED a 20% improvement, which I've yet to see documented)

I already beat everything I've ever seen 0-60 from the dig, most won't even do it unless you're at a track, they all want a rolling start at least 20...so I'm just not that excited today...

You may actually be right. They still list the P90DL at 532 hp at the motor shaft, and we know it's around 600 hp at the shaft. They've never acknowledged that the latest refresh P90D's have this extra power. fiksegts did a 2.65 0 to 60, so maybe trc's 10.8 car could get into the 2.5s. It's possible that the P100D will only deliver extra range and no extra performance.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Cooled/ vented seats would be nice tho...

• Funny
Reactions: gsxdsm and TIppy
You may actually be right. They still list the P90DL at 532 hp at the motor shaft, and we know it's around 600 hp at the shaft. They've never acknowledged that the latest refresh P90D's have this extra power. fiksegts did a 2.65 0 to 60, so maybe trc's 10.8 car could get into the 2.599s. It's possible that the P100D will only deliver extra range and no extra performance.

So performance wise, you pay an extra $20,000 to get the performance you should have gotten with your original car....how thoughtful...

• Funny
Reactions: St Charles
A 10.8 is significantly better than a promised 10.9.

IIIIIFFFF they deliver on a real 2.5 0-60 with 1 foot roll out, we will see better 1/4 mile times. This $20K buys you WAY more than originally promised. They've taken the car from rarified air to the stratosphere. They are not joking when they say the LaF and 918 are the only cars that can best a 2.5 and these cars need the earth moon and stars to align to accomplish it while the Model S just needs a grandmother.

Credit where credit is due please :)

I drove a P85 since 2013
Then a P85D (.....)
And now (just got delivery 3 weeks ago) a Founder X P90DL

We have a saying over here that translates a bit like "a donkey doesn't hit the same stone twice"...

I really hope I already have the 100 that is software restricted to 90 (but with the performance of 100)...
If not.... well... then EM just proved that that donkey is smarter than I am.:D

Maybe I should sell right now and buy a 100 kWh version, because the saying doesn't go to three times over here (just kidding ;))

On the other side.. it is the best car I have ever driven, so still very very happy :cool:

A 10.8 is significantly better than a promised 10.9.

IIIIIFFFF they deliver on a real 2.5 0-60 with 1 foot roll out, we will see better 1/4 mile times. This $20K buys you WAY more than originally promised. They've taken the car from rarified air to the stratosphere. They are not joking when they say the LaF and 918 are the only cars that can best a 2.5 and these cars need the earth moon and stars to align to accomplish it while the Model S just needs a grandmother.

Credit where credit is due please :)

Sorry, but as much as I love my car, I've yet to see an original P90D do a 10.99 much less a 10.8.

I guess the reality is, they keep making this great car faster, you just might not get quite the performance they're promising at the initial press release....

"Estimated" 2.5

That's got sucker written all over it.

Indeed. I'm curious as to why there is a 0.2 sec difference between 0-60mp/h and 0-100km/h. Surely it can't take 0.2sec to go 2mp/h at speed

Manufacturer spec on my r35 gt-r's
2012 built (US2013) 0-60mp/h 2.7s 0-100km/h 2.8s
2013 built (US2014) 0-60mp/h 2.6s 0-100km/h 2.7s

0.1s difference (as you'd expect). So is there something wrong with the P100D's mp/h time or km/h time?

Reactions: NSX1992
I drove a P85 since 2013
Then a P85D (.....)
And now (just got delivery 3 weeks ago) a Founder X P90DL

We have a saying over here that translates a bit like "a donkey doesn't hit the same stone twice"...
Don't be too surprised to see a 110-120kWh option hitting the market well before customer Model 3's start rolling out of Fremont.
In the same pack you have now, topped offf properly with 21-70 cells will add 10% for sure.
Whether this new 100kWh pack is a new cooling tech to cram in more cells, or some clever circuitry squeezing more out of each cell, in a year's time we'd normally be up for another 5-10% (it's been a while) chemistry upgrade on top of the already 10% better 21-70. Really 120kWh by mid-2017 would not be far-fetched.
And with them making their own cells by then, the cost will probably be well lower than the original 60 pack.

They're awesome cars, but I hope fair pricing will return as they managed to produce more. I don't know how S/X sales are going but at least 300,000+ peepz want this Model 3. Great for cost reduction on X packs.

Shotgun,
Do not get me wrong, I share your concern over how Tesla handled most of the first 18 months of their P85DL and P90DL program. I'm most certainly not defending it.

My point was constrained to the newest offering (if it delivers as advertised) being "worth" the $20K. I think when you get to this level of performance, $20K is a value provided you sit on that wallet.

Shotgun,
Do not get me wrong, I share your concern over how Tesla handled most of the first 18 months of their P85DL and P90DL program. I'm most certainly not defending it.

My point was constrained to the newest offering (if it delivers as advertised) being "worth" the $20K. I think when you get to this level of performance, $20K is a value provided you sit on that wallet.

Agree. If I understand the news from today correctly, for an additional $20k, you can go from an already demonstrated 2.65 to what, 2.59?

Confirmed!

Tesla claims ‘Quickest Production Car in the World’ title with new 100 kWh battery pack: 0-60 in 2.5s & 315 miles range

Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode
  • Range: 315 miles (EPA Estimate) / 613 km (NEDC Estimate)
  • 0-60 acceleration: 2.5 seconds
  • 0-100 acceleration: 2.7 seconds
  • Price: starts at $134,500
Model X P100D with Ludicrous Mode
  • Range: 289 miles (EPA Estimate) / 542 km (NEDC Estimate)
  • 0-60 acceleration: 2.9 seconds
  • 0-100 acceleration: 3.1 seconds
  • Price: starts at $135,500

No word on quarter-mile times, however

Better that they don't mention quarter mile times. Or horsepower either for that matter.

Reactions: NSX1992
Status
Not open for further replies.