Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And because I can't leave well enough alone:

Max Power: 492kW
SoC: 90%
Ludicrous: ON
Max Battery: ON/READY
A/C: OFF
Battery: 1071394-00-A
Firmware: 2.22.50
VIN: 128739
Build Date: February 2016

Attachments

• L_90_MAX_NoAC.jpg
    L_90_MAX_NoAC.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
UPDATE!

I bit the bullet and used teslalog.com

I saw a best of 472kW (Graph attached)

SoC: 92%
Ludicrous: ON
Max Battery: OFF
A/C: ON (Doh)
Battery: 1071394-00-A
Firmware: 2.22.50

Looks like I have the magic pack as well :D

Looks like you're about 16KW above the usual 456KW. And at 92% without Max Batt.

It will be interesting to see what it comes in at closer to 100% and with Max Battery.

Any idea what firmware version you were running when you made the 11.1516 pass at Thompson?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if what we're seeing here is accurate, then as it pertains to resale value, this could impact many early P90DL owners with that 1063792 battery pack.

I'd have to go out on a limb and say 2.18.77. I had taken Delivery on the 16th of May and was on the track a few days later. I had not received any updates between delivery and track.

This might be something that has been out there since the 107...... battery pack has been out there or since the X P90DL has been out there.

If I'm an early S P90DL owner, I'm on the horn with them right now asking for that newer battery pack or an upgrade for my older one.

What's this do to the sale of the Ludicrous upgrade for pre existing P90D owners?

I certainly don't pay 10 grand for it if I have the older battery.

If it's only going to give me P85DL numbers, then it should only cost 5 grand.

Last edited:
Reactions: St Charles
I think you are right. That said, Ludicrous Mode adds 56kW over Sport mode so there is an increase. I don't think that Increase is worth the 10 grand price tag, though. If nothing else, there was a massive communications failure on Tesla's part here.

I wonder if the early P90D cars were really just range upgraded P85D's.

I'm a bit late to the party here. But is the story basically the following:
  • Tesla has released a software upgrade that boosts performance on some cars
  • None of the P85DL benefit
  • Some of the P90DL benefit
  • We don't know exactly when the date of manufacturer is for cars that start to benefit
Is that kind of close?

I'm a bit late to the party here. But is the story basically the following:
  • Tesla has released a software upgrade that boosts performance on some cars
  • None of the P85DL benefit
  • Some of the P90DL benefit
  • We don't know exactly when the date of manufacturer is for cars that start to benefit
Is that kind of close?

Yeah that seems to be it in a nutshell.

Its early but it seems so far that nobody with the battery which came out before the X P90DLs came out has benefitted.

Not sure if this is interesting to this thread or not, but my P85D is getting the ludicrous upgrade installed this week (started Tuesday, I think finishing today). According to VisibleTesla, the firmware has been upgraded on the car to 2.24.78.

I suppose it will be interesting to see if whatever hardware change happened in the 'recent' P90D's also made it into 'recent' upgrade kits.

Not sure how complex it is to actually test this.

Not sure if this is interesting to this thread or not, but my P85D is getting the ludicrous upgrade installed this week (started Tuesday, I think finishing today). According to VisibleTesla, the firmware has been upgraded on the car to 2.24.78.

I suppose it will be interesting to see if whatever hardware change happened in the 'recent' P90D's also made it into 'recent' upgrade kits.

If you have an iPhone then you can use PowerTools.

Not if its a different battery it won't. ;)

From the evidence presented in this thread, it doesn't look to me like software has a lot to do with this increase in recently-manufactured P90DL power levels. This appears to be solidly battery-related.

It appears to me that the batteries installed recently have a newer chemistry that reduces internal resistance overall, and reduces it even more in comparison to the older chemistry when the cells are warm.

Thus, at a 1500A load, the newer chemistry is maintaining voltage considerably higher, which equates to more power.

For the older chemistry, 455 kW of power with 1500A current is a battery terminal voltage of 303V, or about a 97V drop from the open-circuit terminal voltage of 400V.

For 510 kW (the max reported by someone in this thread) with 1500A current is a battery terminal voltage of 340V, only a 60V drop from the open-circuit voltage of 400V. That represents a HUGE 38% reduction in battery internal resistance. That may be more than just cell chemistry, that may also be beefier interconnects between cells.

We need CAN logging on a recently-manufactured P90DL to get the battery terminal voltage data to confirm, but I'll bet these voltages are exactly what you're going to see.

Another plus if this is the case is that battery internal heating is reduced. With the older chemistry, 97V * 1500A = 145 kW of power that is dissipated as heat inside the battery during a full acceleration. 60V * 1500A = only 90 kW of heat, a 55 kW reduction.

im totally for logging the crap out of my car. sadly when i asked in the canbus thread how to get a cable or even begin the process, no one responded.

so far i have gathered that the 1071394-a battery is the new better one? with faclifted cars getting higher battery model designations.

what about pre dec 2015 builds, what are the batteries on those cars?

My first reaction to this - It really sucks for the P90DL folks who paid $10K for ludicrous but have a car that (for whatever reason) can't benefit from this upgrade. Also all of the early cars 90 or 85 with ludicrous take a hit on value. Speed freaks want the most speed not just some speed. Yet another example of why I'd by the 90D if I was buying today.

Reactions: DanKeen
Status
Not open for further replies.