Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking delivery of a new P90DL at the Tysons store in Virginia on Monday. This thread has me a bit worried. I'm wondering what I'll do now if the max battery doesn't peak out above 454kW ...

But seriously, you will still enjoy yours and unless you are hunting for E/T's at the track or your neighbor has one of the very few cars that are actually quicker, then you really wont notice.

Reactions: benjiejr
Taking delivery of a new P90DL at the Tysons store in Virginia on Monday. This thread has me a bit worried. I'm wondering what I'll do now if the max battery doesn't peak out above 454kW ...

I have a lowly P85DL and I have no complaints! I've taken it to the drag strip and it performed quite well against the competition. I actually get a little tire slip so having more power may not do me much good in most situations.

Maybe one day I can upgrade to the 100 battery!

Reactions: Evee and St Charles

I can understand that feeling. I ordered my P85D less than three weeks before they announced the P90D/DL. My car hadn't even hit the assembly line and it was already out of date. The thing is you'll love the car anyway. It's a really, really fast Tesla. All good!

While you're doing the inspection during delivery take a picture from the front right wheel well of the battery part number and compare to a known 494 kW. If you think something is off don't sign the delivery paperwork. That's perfectly acceptable to do absent a due bill.

While you're doing the inspection during delivery take a picture from the front right wheel well of the battery part number and compare to a known 494 kW. If you think something is off don't sign the delivery paperwork. That's perfectly acceptable to do absent a due bill.

I thought about offering that up as a solution too.

But the trouble is the other gentleman, eclipxe's car is a late build, possibly with a late battery in it and he's only making 454KW or so.

We don't know yet the number on his battery, but if it turns out to be one of the later 1071394 batteries, then looking at the part number beforehand might not help.

Can you refuse delivery of a Tesla without losing your deposit?

I agree with others that we need to log battery part, build date, and firmware version to stand a chance at understanding this. I will try to test with powertools today since I have the new battery and 2.24.30.

I thought about offering that up as a solution too.

But the trouble is the other gentleman, eclipxe's car is a late build, possibly with a late battery in it and he's only making 454KW or so.

Yet he also said he produced only 454 with and without max battery. I don't believe this is possible so I'm throwing that account out. We really just need more data. I'm certain within a week enough folks will have checked in with their results that a pattern will emerge.

Yet he also said he produced only 454 with and without max battery. I don't believe this is possible so I'm throwing that account out. We really just need more data. I'm certain within a week enough folks will have checked in with their results that a pattern will emerge.

I read him to say:

I have a refresh P90DL. I can't log higher than 454kW. 90%. Max battery on or off.

I hope he clarifies as the punctuation is a little foggy possibly due to autocorrect, but I see that as; "I've tried both with max battery on and with it off and have not broken 454kw with it on or off."

If I"m paying $10k for the latest and greatest L and some L's are better than others, that's just not going to sit well. And it will affect the value.
so did I. and until I get scientific proof that my car is impaired its still more powerful then the regular p90d, and thats what I paid for. could it be faster still, some might say yes. eventually it wont be the fastest and I fully expected that when I wired the funds.

But seriously, you will still enjoy yours and unless you are hunting for E/T's at the track or your neighbor has one of the very few cars that are actually quicker, then you really wont notice.

Seriously, if three of us roll out of the dealer with the "same" max'd out insanely expensive sports car and the guy in front of me and behind me gets 50 extra HP, you can understand how that doesn't feel right. It's a little different if everyone after me gets an upgrade. Painful, but kind of understandable. Of course I will love the car. I already do. But this is potentially a serious depreciation issue. And tracking it is not out of the question. I've been to Summit a few times in my GTI and am sorely tempted to take this there as well.

Seriously, if three of us roll out of the dealer with the "same" max'd out insanely expensive sports car and the guy in front of me and behind me gets 50 extra HP, you can understand how that doesn't feel right. It's a little different if everyone after me gets an upgrade. Painful, but kind of understandable. Of course I will love the car. I already do. But this is potentially a serious depreciation issue. And tracking it is not out of the question. I've been to Summit a few times in my GTI and am sorely tempted to take this there as well.

That's fair, but I think we are all blowing up a bit on this. We still do not know what's happening and we only have a tiny dataset and speculation to go on.

It's entirely reasonable for a car to get upgraded from year to year (or contstantly, as is the case with Tesla). Porsche has been selling the 911 for decades, and that gets some performance bump almost every model year.

I ordered a P90DL the day it was announced. When "horsepower-gate" occurred and it turned out my car was not actually capable of producing the horsepower it was advertised with, my reaction was "meh". I get that there's lots of ways to calculate those numbers with motors, and Telsa happened to pick one that some people didn't like. What mattered was the performance.
Now, my car was also advertised as being capable of hitting 10.9 in a quarter mile (or maybe very close to it since I have the added weight of pano roof). If it turns out that the P90DL requires different/additional hardware to actually make those performance specs a reality, now I'm a little more concerned and I start having a philosophical problem with Tesla's practices.
I don't think this is a case of "progress" on the P90DL, but Tesla making good on their advertised specs. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

zhur0002 was kind enough to answer my question regarding his car and anything which may have been done to it.

He is the gentleman who holds the current ET and trap speed records.

11.128 @120+ mph and has two trap speeds in the 120s and another 11.1.

He has a 2015 build P90DL which has been rooted allowing him access to menus not seen in factory stock vehicles.

The inquiry stemmed from a screenshot of his dash showing data not typically seen in stock cars.

When asked, it came to light that this info was from the factory mode.

The interesting thing is that the car likely has the older battery in it as he says it is a 2015 build. Mentions that it's a 4/15 build date. Running 2.22.50.

That build date is nearly a year prior to the earliest build dates we see in here with the beast mode power numbers.

His response is in the other thread.

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

Last edited:
Here's my speculation - this is a software-only change. It is not triggered by a particular firmware or hardware build, but by a feature flag - Tesla is A/B testing with customers in the field and gathering data.

To clarify my earlier comments - At 90% battery, I've tested both with Max battery ready and Max battery turned off. In both cases I have not logged higher than 454kW.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and benjiejr
That's fair, but I think we are all blowing up a bit on this. We still do not know what's happening and we only have a tiny dataset and speculation to go on.
truth. we need more people logging their cars. this discrepancy might have been going on for a while. or it could be something bad QC... or maybe elon just like some folk more than others.

chances are best that there is a beta test battery firmware and they want to see how many come limping back to the service centers with shredded diffs or blown fuses.

Here's my speculation - this is a software-only change. It is not triggered by a particular firmware or hardware build, but by a feature flag - Tesla is A/B testing with customers in the field and gathering data.

To clarify my earlier comments - At 90% battery, I've tested both with Max battery ready and Max battery turned off. In both cases I have not logged higher than 454kW.

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought you meant.

Also the "feature flag" comment is an interesting one when I look at it in the context of zhur0002's response and results. And look at it in the context of the "special sauce" hubbub from a couple months back.

If they rooted that car and it gave them access to some menu or another allowing them to switch something on or select something, then that could explain those trap speeds.

I'm thinking more and more of this possibility.

There is something that can be toggled on. This makes the 10.9 capabilitiy statement true from the outset, and offers at least some measure of avoiding an outright false advertising issue.

Yes, it was capable of 10.9. But with an OTA update that we didn't release right away. But we weren't lying about the car being able to do 10.9.

Someone may have found a way to hack into it and switch it on.

But I'm wondering about that 4/15 Ludicrous car as Ludicrous wasn't announced until 7/15.

Some cars have already had it switched on with the rest to follow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought you meant.

Also the "feature flag" comment is an interesting one when I look at it in the context of zhur0002's response and results. And look at it in the context of the "special sauce" hubbub from a couple months back.

If they rooted that car and it gave them access to some menu or another allowing them to switch something on or select something, then that could explain those trap speeds.

I think Tesla is controlling this on their end. Same firmware version but x% of the fleet gets "special sauce", measure impact to repairs, battery health, degradation.

Status
Not open for further replies.