Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been many many posts about Teslas warranty performance. Some report a bad experience while others are very satisfied. As more and more Teslas are sold the SC are getting stressed and people complain about not getting a Tesla as a loaner. My experience is great as I have not had any problems except a door handle not coming out which Tesla came to my house and fixed. Also they did realign my chrome at the doors as it was maybe 1/8 of an inch off.

What is clear to me that Tesla is not concerned if you occasionally take your car to the drag strip. No warning letters have been sent to owners posting their times on DragTimes which they could do very easy. They certainly advertise the benefits of instant torque and that the P100DL is the quickest car you can buy.

P85DEE is leery of the Tesla service is not for profit idea. The first thing my SM said that Tesla service is not for profit. Elon has stated the same thing numerous times. It is ironic that P85DEE accused the owners who publicly questioned the 10.9 of hurting Tesla is now publicly creating doubt about Tesla warranty.

That last sentence was completely uncalled for.

My only point is that Tesla, like any auto manufacturer, can deny a warranty claim at their discretion.

What you were told with regard to tracking your car by someone at your service center, who might not even be there a year from now I might add, may turn out to be completely different from what someone else is told at a service center across the country from you.

And if anyone across the country from you should have a problem, well then they can't point to "your post" regarding what somebody told you, and use that in an argument over a warranty claim.

It is better to get official notice and an official stance from Tesla, preferably in writing, with regard to this matter as opposed to the postings of what someone one on the internet says that they were told with regard to it.

There are no doubt some in here, myself included, who would be more comfortable armed with that, should they later decide to track their cars and develop a subsequent issue, as opposed to what a member of an Internet forum across the country, or even "across the pond" says they told him at his particular service center.

Last edited:
I think the reason that "not for profit" comes up a lot is that private service centers don't make a profit off of warranty work. Because those centers are essentially losing money for every hour they work on warranty claims is time lost against for-profit repairs. This provides an incentive to traditional dealerships to minimize the amount of warranty work they accept over time.

Tesla (claims they) don't work that way. If true, warranty work should affect the bottom line as much as any other repair. The difference is where the money is coming from.

That said, there is still likely(*) someone tracking overall warranty work as the coffer for warranty repairs is a finite resource. Given that assumption(*), at some point someone has to make a determination on what is covered by Tesla vs. what is a customer financial responsibility. My suspicion(*), is that Tesla corporate does not actually require explicit authorization for each warranty repair. My guess(*), is that they accept the Service center recommendation at some level with an agreement on the conditions dictating the decision to cover under warranty. I'd bet(*), there are a number of tracked metrics that factor into an individual claims denial. Clearly(*), we don't know what these metrics are or else we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

(*): DANGER! Opinion detected.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
I think the reason that "not for profit" comes up a lot is that private service centers don't make a profit off of warranty work. Because those centers are essentially losing money for every hour they work on warranty claims is time lost against for-profit repairs. This provides an incentive to traditional dealerships to minimize the amount of warranty work they accept over time.

Tesla (claims they) don't work that way. If true, warranty work should affect the bottom line as much as any other repair. The difference is where the money is coming from.

That said, there is still likely(*) someone tracking overall warranty work as the coffer for warranty repairs is a finite resource. Given that assumption(*), at some point someone has to make a determination on what is covered by Tesla vs. what is a customer financial responsibility. My suspicion(*), is that Tesla corporate does not actually require explicit authorization for each warranty repair. My guess(*), is that they accept the Service center recommendation at some level with an agreement on the conditions dictating the decision to cover under warranty. I'd bet(*), there are a number of tracked metrics that factor into an individual claims denial. Clearly(*), we don't know what these metrics are or else we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

I have inquired, regarding this part of the discussion, of my own service rep who I'm on a first name basis with and who has helped me in the past.

I recall my experience with GM.

And also I recall what I've seen happen in insurance cases involving on track crashes and in fires due to nitrous kit malfunctions and mishaps the high occurred on track.

In the latter, I've seen one on track accident covered by the guy's insurance company and then he was promptly dropped.

I've also seen a case where the insurance company did not pay at all.

Refer back to my description of one of my on track incidents involving a failure.

GM ultimately covered it.

Part of what prompted that was the fact that I was a long term customer, had never filed a major warranty claim of the same sort to that time, etc.

It was a situation of case by case basis and I've heard of other manufacturers taking the same case by case approach in such situations. I don't know about Tesla, but it would not surprise me if they took a similar case by case approach in situations such as being discussed here.

To the letter of their warranty, GM didn't have to help me, but they did in that particular "case" and in them reviewing my history with them.

Others have reported similar experiences.

However with regard to what I was told regarding Tesla, suffice it to say, that which we already knew and which was stated during my inquiry.

In the event of a failure, they know what the car was doing, how it was driven,

He would not respond "yea" or "nay" as to if the location of the failure could be determined.

Of most importance, is that he made absolutely no guarantees whatsoever, made no indication whatsoever, made no statement whatsoever, that an on track mechanical failure would be covered under warranty.

Last edited:

First off, love the "DANGER! Opinion detected". Second, other than comping a service visit, keyfob or some other relatively low cost item, my experience has been that they always seek okays from corporate. Not sure if things changed since Jon McNeill took over Sales and Service but that's how it used to be. They also used to have snacks but no more.

Reactions: St Charles
First off, love the "DANGER! Opinion detected". Second, other than comping a service visit, keyfob or some other relatively low cost item, my experience has been that they always seek okays from corporate. Not sure if things changed since Jon McNeill took over Sales and Service but that's how it used to be. They also used to have snacks but no more.

It could be that they follow up with Tesla for claims.

I can think of no situation, where limiting warranty repairs is not financially advantageous to at least someone.

I talked with a friend who worked for toyota for many years about how warranty repairs are handled at the dealership. He said the dealership makes about the same from warranty vs. private pay. They will accept all the warranty work they can get. The repair charges are based on cost of parts and a predetermined number of allowed hours to perform the repair.

All warranty repairs have to be written up and submitted online to toyota corporate. They are reviewed by corporate and either allowed or disallowed. If they are allowed, corporate issues them a credit to cover the cost of repairs based on the required parts and man hours. They never actually receive any money. The credit is used to buy parts from the manufacturer.

If while corporate is reviewing the claim, they see a pattern of needed repairs that appears to be race related, they can have the local factory rep visit the dealership to review the claim in more detail. His determination is almost always the final word on the matter. The dealership has little involvement in these determinations. The dealership could try to slip some marginal cases through as warranty work, but they are subject to audit if corporate suspects something doesn't smell right.

If your warranty claim is denied, they have to let you meet with the factory rep to plead your case. So bring some cookies along.

It doesn't matter to the dealership if it's warranty or private pay, but it makes a big difference to corporate.Tesla is a different model since they don't have dealerships, but sell directly to the pubic. So when tesla says service is not a profit center, I believe they mean for corporate and not the local service centers.

Last edited:
Dealer vs warranty repair is not the same. My friends Porsche failed the national yearly car inspection due to an error code. The dealer looked for the problem for a week, before finally finding it was due to a 50 euro electrical part. They sent a large bill to Porsche, but Porsche paid only the part and sent a message: we dont pay for mechanic training. I am pretty sure it would have been a large bill without warranty, for the owner.

Of most importance, is that he made absolutely no guarantees whatsoever, made no indication whatsoever, made no statement whatsoever, that an on track mechanical failure would be covered under warranty.
I don't disagree with that. My point 2 on my previous post mentioned that if a failure occurred at the track and required towing there could be a question regarding warranty. But as my SM indicated the likelihood of any breakage happening at a drag strip is very small. The main point is that if there is a problem with the drivetrain or battery over time (8 years) Tesla will fix it with no questions asked.

I can understand that you don't want to take a chance of hurting your Tesla or wanting to get in writing that Tesla approves dragging. Of course this will never happen. I just happen to have a higher tolerance for risk than you.

I talked with a friend who worked for toyota for many years about how warranty repairs are handled at the dealership. He said the dealership makes about the same from warranty vs. private pay. They will accept all the warranty work they can get. The repair charges are based on cost of parts and a predetermined number of allowed hours to perform the repair.

All warranty repairs have to be written up and submitted online to toyota corporate. They are reviewed by corporate and either allowed or disallowed. If they are allowed, corporate issues them a credit to cover the cost of repairs based on the required parts and man hours. They never actually receive any money. The credit is used to buy parts from the manufacturer.

If while corporate is reviewing the claim, they see a pattern of needed repairs that appears to be race related, they can have the local factory rep visit the dealership to review the claim in more detail. His determination is almost always the final word on the matter. The dealership has little involvement in these determinations. The dealership could try to slip some marginal cases through as warranty work, but they are subject to audit if corporate suspects something doesn't smell right.

If your warranty claim is denied, they have to let you meet with the factory rep to plead your case. So bring some cookies along.

It doesn't matter to the dealership if it's warranty or private pay, but it makes a big difference to corporate.Tesla is a different model since they don't have dealerships, but sell directly to the pubic. So when tesla says service is not a profit center, I believe they mean for corporate and not the local service centers.

What you describe with Toyota, seems to be a similar script to what GM follows from what I experienced.

The dealership wouldn't move on my repair for fear of not being reimbursed by GM for it.

They let me plead my case with GM myself.

But on another note, I have to say that I felt somewhat uncomfortable today making my Tesla inquiry.

My service person, by his responses. was clearly wondering why I would ask such questions anyway.

Had I already had an issue? Was I planning something?

He was hesitant in his answers and indicated that he was not entirely comfortable discussing what we were discussing.

The fact that we were on the phone and there was no telling who was listening no doubt had something to do with his change in demeanor upon my questions.

Bottom line is he just would not indicate that I would definitely be covered if I suffered an on track incident.

I suspect though, that if a failure should occur in the car of one of these very prolific "Tesla performance ambassadors", who has been posting up a lot of online results, and a lot of video of performance results and has essentially given Tesla what would amount to free advertising as far as the car's performance, free promotion without Tesla having to pay a penny to sponsor a "real" racing program, that Tesla would be inclined to look the other way and not be hard core about a repair for an on track failure in one of those cars.

They'd still come out dollars ahead for all of the "free" promotion they would have gotten on YouTube and social media, without having to pay a penny for professional drivers or any other expenses which would be associated with an actual official racing effort.

Last edited:
Dealer vs warranty repair is not the same. My friends Porsche failed the national yearly car inspection due to an error code. The dealer looked for the problem for a week, before finally finding it was due to a 50 euro electrical part. They sent a large bill to Porsche, but Porsche paid only the part and sent a message: we dont pay for mechanic training. I am pretty sure it would have been a large bill without warranty, for the owner.
Here in the U.S., all repairs are done at the dealerships. If it's a covered warranty repair, the manufacturer pays the dealership to do the repair. The manufacturer will only pay a fixed predetermined amount for a particular repair. They won't cover the cost of extra labor if the dealership's mechanic goes over the allotted time for the repair.

. I just happen to have a higher tolerance for risk than you.

Or maybe you have less to lose than I do.

You're 76 years old. You crash headfirst into a wall on a drag strip and they cart you off and you end up paralyzed or dead, its one thing.

I'm nowhere near 80 years old like you are. I crash headfirst into a drag strip wall and end up paralyzed or dead and for no good reason and it's an entirely different matter.

Your comment reminds me of the analogy between the 17 year old and the 70 year old.

Show me a 17 year old who does reckless things it's usually because he's stupid and thinks he's invincible. Actually thinks that he can't lose.

The 70 year old doing reckless things doesn't give a damn. He's lived his life.

So no, I don't think it's "risk tolerance" so much as it is that you have a lot less skin in the game right now, than I do.

When I turn 76 I'm liable to start back racing cars, motorcycles and boats and skydiving too.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pollux and NSX1992
There are adrenaline junkies of all ages. Some people just live for excitement, and danger (physical or financial) only adds to that. There is nothing wrong with one way or the other. That's just the way it is.
What's the good reason for jumping off of a building or antenna or out of a perfectly good airplane? With a parachute, preferably.

Last edited:
There are adrenaline junkies of all ages. Some people just live for excitement, and danger (physical or financial) only adds to that. There is nothing wrong with one way or the other. That's just the way it is.
What's the good reason for jumping off of a building or antenna or out of a perfectly good airplane? With a parachute, preferably.

Nothing wrong with it.

But this guy talking about his "risk tolerance", and it being higher than my own, is laughable to me.

But back to the track.

The last fatal track accident of a weekender that I am familiar with, involved a man about NSX1992's stated age.

He was trying to show all of the young whippersnappers and impress onlookers on how big of gonads he still had.

However his reflexes not being what they used to be, nor his eyesight, he was unable to recover and save his car or himself in time enough to avoid tragedy.

Ironic now a few years later I'm listening to a guy of similar age talking about his "risk tolerance".

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NSX1992
Nothing wrong with it.

But this guy talking about his "risk tolerance", and it being higher than my own, is laughable to me.

He knows nothing about me, nor of the "risks" I've taken in this life.

But back to the track.

The last fatal track accident of a weekender that I am familiar with, involved a man about NSX1992's stated age.

He was trying to show all of the young whippersnappers and impress onlookers on how big of gonads he still had.

However his reflexes not being what they used to be, nor his eyesight, he was unable to recover and save his car or himself in time enough to avoid tragedy.

Ironic now a few years later I'm listening to a guy of similar age talking about his "risk tolerance".
Went out with his boots on.

• Funny
Reactions: NSX1992
Status
Not open for further replies.