Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. I realized I hadn't read the rest of your comment. I think the split all depends on what's happening.

When the car is cruising steady state on the freeway with range mode on, a feature called torque sleep activates under just the right conditions and puts the rear motor to sleep essentially leaving the car a front wheel drive car. The smaller motor is more efficient at highway speeds than the larger rear motor.

Under maximum acceleration, the torque is going to be split to increase maximum traction, i.e. as much torque in each motor that is possible before traction on either axle is broken.....at least up to about 45 MPH. Up to 45 MPH, the car is traction limited, not power limited. After 45 MPH, it's hard to say what it does at that point. I would imagine the acceleration for some period of time would be more biased towards the back. But if you're accelerating out of a corner, then it's going put as much power into the front as possible without compromising traction or stability. Unless someone can log the inverter power for each inverter I don't think anyone can say.

Any of you CANBUS loggers out there know if one of the busses breaks down power from front to rear? I vaguely remember someone posting a graph showing as such.

I guess it's time to get off my but and put my cable together for TM-Spy.

You're talking about this thread maybe with Front/Rear Torque numbers vs Total Power...one of these graphs even includes Rear RPM/Rear Torque!
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

One of my Favorites!

The CAN bus connectors are behind the cubby (center dash). Older are white while newer are blueish colored.

If you don't have a console that's true. With a console in place you can't lower the cubby enough to get your hand above it to grab the cable.
The fix for that was routing the cable over to the passenger foot well, and you gained access by removing the hockey stick shaped trim panel along the side of the console. I've removed that trim, but the cable is not there. Thanks for responding though.

I'm in the process now of removing more trim to see if I can locate the blue connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
Found it. After removing the passenger side dash trim, I could see the blue connector sitting on top of the cubby. Hmm. They've changed the way the cubby is installed on newer cars. The older cubby had four metal spring clips, two at the front and two at the rear. To gain access you would release only the front spring clips and let the front of the cubby swing down to expose the cable. If you inadvertently released the back clips, it was difficult to get the cubby back in place. On the new cars the cubby has clips only at the front, and there are two tabs at the rear that fit into slots. After pulling the front of the cubby down to release the front clips, it slides out completely toward the rear of the car, exposing the cable.
The new front clips are much harder to release than the older ones. I thought I was going to break something.

VoltsAmps.png
VoltsKw.png

TM-spy can bus analyzer:
July 2016 P90DL in ludicrous, max battery ready at 112 degrees, 94% soc.
Max power at 1615.4 amps, 310.2 volts, 501.1kw, 672 hp

Obviously, everyone is at TMC + Gigafactory event as no one is commenting...
We've been waiting for so long for this number!!!

1600A at the battery!!!!!!!!!!...with significant less voltage sag.
When I pull 1500A, the voltage of my P85DL drops to 294V.

So this is not 'only' new chemistry and reduced voltage sag, they are allowing an extra 100A to go through that programmable fuse!! :-D

View attachment 187691 View attachment 187692

TM-spy can bus analyzer:
July 2016 P90DL in ludicrous, max battery ready at 112 degrees, 94% soc.
Max power at 1615.4 amps, 310.2 volts, 501.1kw, 672 hp

The newer batteries must be running higher than 1500 amps and are probably around 1600 amps given the KWs seen.

I think you're on the right track but I'll bet it's closer to 1600 amps ;)

Finally some real confirmation. Very nice Tippy!!!

Anyone care to start a pool on P100D battery current :)

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Obviously, everyone is at TMC + Gigafactory event as no one is commenting...
We've been waiting for so long for this number!!!

1600A at the battery!!!!!!!!!!...with significant less voltage sag.
When I pull 1500A, the voltage of my P85DL drops to 294V.

So this is not 'only' new chemistry and reduced voltage sag, they are allowing an extra 100A to go through that programmable fuse!! :-D

That's 441KW which is a bit lower than a P85DL at 90% with max battery ready (305 volts).

P100D:
1600 x 100 / 90 = 1777, so maybe they'll push it to 1800.
Looks like the higher capacity batteries more or less maintain the same voltage but at higher current,maybe a little more.
Lets call it 315 volts at 1800 amps, so 567 Kw or 760 hp. Hmm, that's pretty close to the combined hp of the two motors, before conversion losses. Do they quote power at the output shaft?

Last edited:
P100D:
1600 x 100 / 90 = 1777, so maybe they'll push it to 1800.
Looks like the higher capacity batteries more or less maintain the same voltage but at higher current,maybe a little more.
Lets call it 315 volts at 1800 amps, so 567 Kw or 760 hp. Hmm, that's pretty close to the combined hp of the two motors, before conversion losses. Do they quote power at the output shaft?

The thing is, that power and capacity stand in no correlation, when it comes to batteries. Tesla could come up with a 150kWh pack that can only supply 300kW, or with a 95kWh pack, that has 1MW. Both unlikely, but possible. To just assume, that a 100kWh pack has 11.11% more power, is as valid as assuming that it has 11.11% less power.

Has tesla ever reconfigured the pack for the Model S? I remember in the past that the smaller packs had blanks in place to drop the capacity to whatever they were selling.

If they don't reconfigure the pack then logically they would have to change the battery chemistry.

The thing is, that power and capacity stand in no correlation, when it comes to batteries. Tesla could come up with a 150kWh pack that can only supply 300kW, or with a 95kWh pack, that has 1MW. Both unlikely, but possible. To just assume, that a 100kWh pack has 11.11% more power, is as valid as assuming that it has 11.11% less power.

All of tesla's packs to date have increased in power with increased capacity. And in going from 85kwh to 90kwh the increased current ratio was pretty close to the increase in capacity ratio.

The 85kwh battery is configured as 96 cells in series with 74 of these series connections in parallel. Each of those 74 provide 1/74th of the power out of the battery. Since the voltage has remained the same in going to 90kwh the capacity could be increased by using 78 in parallel. That would increase the packs power delivery by 78/74ths, the same as the capacity ratio. In any case since the voltage remains the same the only way to increase capacity is to increase amp-hrs. Typically, you can pull more amps as the amp-hr rating goes up, using similar chemisty.

Last edited:
Has tesla ever reconfigured the pack for the Model S? I remember in the past that the smaller packs had blanks in place to drop the capacity to whatever they were selling.

If they don't reconfigure the pack then logically they would have to change the battery chemistry.

Tesla has been talking about using new 2170 format batteries instead of the current 18650. They're only a little bigger in height and diameter so they might be able to pack them into the same foot print.

Status
Not open for further replies.