Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another data element that may relate to max battery.
I have regular non-L P85D and my max run was 404Kw with battery ready and then the same with it off
It seem that the car pulls the same power regardless of the status.
As stated here earlier, it's related to actual temp of the pack, not whether max battery is enabled

P.S. When max battery is enabled, but not ready, it uses about 5Kw of power
So, while it's a small number, it could deduct it from the max reading

Last edited:
Right. That's what I said /s. But let's not drop into internet rage arguments. It seems you are upset about this and I'm really not interested in and emotional discussion here. I'f you would like civilized discourse we can continue.

You want less rage, then stop with the fanboi arguments. "Everyone else does it too" followed up by zero examples, adds nothing to the discussion.

• Disagree
Reactions: gsxdsm
How accurate is the Powertool app for Tesla compared to the drag timing?

I spent some time thinking about this on Sunday and my personal conclusion is that it will be close enough to augment what the timeslip says and will provide useful information but I am not entirely sure that exact times and speeds will correlate. I feel this is due to the way dragstrips time a quarter mile and how difficult it is to translate that to standard GPS.

It's not accurate at all. It's also up to the whim of your cell signal, geographic location, and Tesla's servers for it's update interval. It's not even accurate for power measurements unless you get a lucky sample, or that power is held for long enough for it to sample multiple times. Note than CAN loggers will log more power, which you get a sampling rate worth a damn.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
It's not accurate at all. It's also up to the whim of your cell signal, geographic location, and Tesla's servers for it's update interval. It's not even accurate for power measurements unless you get a lucky sample, or that power is held for long enough for it to sample multiple times. Note than CAN loggers will log more power, which you get a sampling rate worth a damn.
With the comments about different readings whether the AC is on or off, whether the Max Batt setting is on or off, etc., it leads me to believe that the Power Tools clearly doesn't read "at the battery" as the title of this thread states. If so, those readings would be constant, only so much can be pulled from the battery at once and then has to be distributed to the motors, AC, etc. I don't believe the Power Tools app to be very accurate or reliable for actual battery power output. Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere already and I missed it. If so, my apologies.

I don't believe the Power Tools app to be very accurate or reliable for actual battery power output. Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere already and I missed it. If so, my apologies.

The Power Tools app (and several other apps out there) simply report whatever the car reported to Tesla's servers. The disadvantages to this method are that 1) we don't know exactly how much massaging of this number the car does before it reports it, and 2) the update rate of this parameter is fairly slow, max one reading every 1-3 seconds. The accuracy or inaccuracy here isn't the app's fault, it's simply a limitation of the method being used to get the data.

The CAN bus is far more reliable because the exact power reading at the battery terminals is measured and reported in its own CAN frame, and these frames are present on the can bus at the rate of several dozen per second.

You want less rage, then stop with the fanboi arguments. "Everyone else does it too" followed up by zero examples, adds nothing to the discussion.

Back to the fun part. I'm not sure why you think anyone here on this forum is authoritative on the performance of the Model S. Or any other brand of car, for that matter.

I'll restate my point, again. Hopefully you don't miss it this time. (I'm baiting you here :p )

1. Car company makes a claim on performance.
2. divers fail to reproduce performance numbers in the real world

My point is that this happens all the time. In the real world, most people aren't going to be able to reproduce the performance claims of a manufacturer. Maybe it's too hot, or the track isn't prepped, or the driver doesn't know how a drag strip works, or they aren't willing to push the car to it's limit, and on, and on. There are a million factors that go into quarter mile numbers and it's is just not possible to always get the best time, every time. Now, eventually, the stars will align and the magical run will happen. Someone gets the timeslip that meets or beats the claim and all is right with the world.

Now, lets bring this back to Tesla and this thread.

1. Tesla makes performance claim
2. Drivers are unable to reproduce claim in the real world.

Do you see the comparison? We are literally doing the same thing. We are just a bunch of owners trying to get timeslips. The difference is that no one, yet, has achieved that magical pass. My point is that, as cool as we all think we are, we are not an authority on car performance, nor are we qualified to make claims to that effect.

But wait! Lets go one level deeper. MotorTrend completed their testing using different parameters than a drag strip. How in the hell is it even remotely reasonable to assume that drag strip performance would be the same. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Scientific Method. Here it is, just in case:

sci′entif′ic meth′od

n.
a method of research in which a problem is identified, relevant data are gathered, a hypothesis is formulated, and the hypothesis is empirically tested.

source: scientific method

Guess what we aren't doing? That's right! the empirical testing part. Just two posts up we were discussing how our metrics gathering tools were not accurate. We also have discussed, at a nauseating length, how dragstrip timing works vs how MotorTrend tests. Looks to me like we are failing at producing any real, valid results.

Now, given all this. I find it unreasonable to be berated for contributing to the conversation. Again, I'm all for civil discourse. Are you?

How accurate is the Powertool app for Tesla compared to the drag timing?

Drag timing is going to be much more accurate but to be fair, the Powertool app is much better than some in this thread have claimed. My notes:

1) Sample rate is 250 ms which is certainly fast enough to show peak power unless you think that your car can't hold max power for more than 1/2 second.

2) Connection to Cell service during testing is required. Of course you know when the service drops because the display will gray out. Doesn't happen often.

3) The data logging is very good showing speed, power, gps position and other info. Easily imported into Excel

4) Vbox will get you much closer to drag timing accuracy but it will cost you over $500 and it is REALLY difficult to maintain satellite connectivity inside a Tesla. External antennas and/or suction cup mounting makes it much less convenient than Powertool.

5) My peak power measurements have been remarkably consistent for a given SOC. Less than 1/2 percent variation over a six month period of recordings.

6) I do wish it was easier to stop and start the app recording. It requires a two button sequence operation and the buttons are small for quick access in a moving car.

• Love
Reactions: gsxdsm and ggnykk
Sorry I was out of town... First road trip in the new car!

Anyways added my 511KW run to the spreadsheet as well as the battery part number, seems like I've got a slightly different one then the others listed, 1088792-00-A, Also I forgot to add the S/W version I've tested on to the spreadsheet, I've used both 2.24.30 and 2.24.86 which I upgraded to mid trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggnykk
I think all we need is someone get their 490 to 510 kw car to a drag strip and then show us the time slip. Every other discussion will be pointless after that ;-)

Already been done.

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

Consistent 11.1s.

The question now is can someone manage to get traction.

For all intents the above car is a Recent P90D with Ludicrous as it is an early production car but with a recent P90DL battery in it.

Last edited:
Already been done.

Consistent 11.1s.

The question now is can someone manage to get traction.

For all intents the above car is a Recent P90D with Ludicrous as it is an early production car but with a recent P90DL battery in it.

I thought we already discussed couple times before that the 11.1 record right now at Dragtimes has a horrible 0-60 foot time. If it get to the 1.59 second range like the other 11.2 or 11.3 second P90DL, then that 11.1 will fall for sure. Possibly 11 second flat or 10.9 second for quarter mile. In addition, the current 11.1 second 1/4 mile record now is actually an early 2015 Model S that was somehow converted to a P90DL. That leave a huge question mark on what a brand new P90DL can do that is totally stock.

Again, I really think that every other discussion won't be important anymore when someone brings a new stock P90DL cars to drag strip and get a good 1/4 mile time that also has good 1/8 mile and 0-60 ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
I thought we already discussed couple times before that the 11.1 record right now at Dragtimes has a horrible 0-60 foot time. If it get to the 1.59 second range like the other 11.2 or 11.3 second P90DL, then that 11.1 will fall for sure. Possibly 11 second flat or 10.9 second for quarter mile. In addition, the current 11.1 second 1/4 mile record now is actually an early 2015 Model S that was somehow converted to a P90DL. That leave a huge question mark on what the a brand new P90DL can do that is totally stock.

Again, I really think that every other discussion won't be important anymore when someone brings a new stock P90DL cars to drag strip and get a good 1/4 mile time that also has good 1/8 mile and 0-60 ft.

Yeah, I said that the only question now is can someone manage to get traction.

Why would a "factory" P90DL perform any differently than this "home brew" P90DL?

All you have is a battery swap into an existing P90D.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/screenshot_2016-06-20-00-02-28-png.181722/

Had the same thing been done under previously the proposed battery swap program for cross country trips, the car would be considered stock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.