Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried launch control last night for one run but the result was a slow reaction time as well as a slower e/t. So slip start for me.

So I just went out and tested this. I launched the car from 0-30mph in three different configurations:

1. Ludicrous with Launch mode
2. Ludicrous and mashing the gas
3. Ludicrous and slip start

The particular patch of asphalt I "borrowed" did not afford much traction. Something that was bloody obvious with slip start, slightly less obvious when mashing the gas but damn near undetectable with Launch Mode. This is very interesting and might indicate that Launch mode could be leaving a bit on the table vs slip start.

teslalog.com seems to be broken at the moment so no logs, sadly.

• Informative
Reactions: mdevp and benjiejr
You bring up interesting points. I have definitely noticed that Launch control yields a bad reaction time. This actually has me a bit concerned as it would also imply that Launch mode has a short hiccup before taking off. In fact, you can see it in my graph I posted along with the timeslip.

I got my 11.05 on my first run @ 98% SoC. The next closest run was 11.09 two runs later at 92% SoC. I was holding onto the possibility that I would get a better ET as the night wore on but it never happened. My experience did, however, show me that a quick hot lap yielded a faster time. This would indicate that the max battery setting does not heat up the battery to max power and there is still a little left in there.
So even your slower run (11.09 second) is faster than the previous fastest record (11.128 second)!!

Can't imagine what a 510-512 kw P90DL can do. We have at least 4 people here that has those cars, hopefully, they can bring it to a drag strip.

Wasn't there someone with a 1071394-00-A battery that got 500kW? I thought I read that somewhere but now I cannot find it. It's not on the spreadsheet.

Edit: I found him. @ShotgunF15E logged 501kW with a 1071394-00-A and 2.24.30

Looks like I need to figure out how to get upgraded from 2.22.50 to 2.24.30

Last edited:
First, your traps speeds are really high, I'm jealous. Did you do anything in addition to rooting your car? Have you run at a different track and achieved the same trap speed?

Second, since I don't actually own a trailer I would have to rent a u-Haul POS. Hopefully a Tesla Model S fits on one. Also, Mason Dixon is so close to a supercharger I could do all the charging and battery warming right before driving onto the track.
Instead of renting a trailer for your 494kw car, it is probably a better use of money to lure or bribe a 510 kw P90DL owner to a track and then let you or him test the car. Just my two cents. ;-)

So I just went out and tested this. I launched the car from 0-30mph in three different configurations:

1. Ludicrous with Launch mode
2. Ludicrous and mashing the gas
3. Ludicrous and slip start

The particular patch of asphalt I "borrowed" did not afford much traction. Something that was bloody obvious with slip start, slightly less obvious when mashing the gas but damn near undetectable with Launch Mode. This is very interesting and might indicate that Launch mode could be leaving a bit on the table vs slip start.

teslalog.com seems to be broken at the moment so no logs, sadly.
Probably hard to test all three modes in the drag strip, and see which one is faster. Because once you are done with testing one mode, the next run would usually be slower coz of lower SOC. Plus, you probably have to try 5 times in each mode to conclusively say which mode is fastest. If you got a charger nearby to keep topping off your battery, then this won't be an issue though.

Wasn't there someone with a 1071394-00-A battery that got 500kW? I thought I read that somewhere but now I cannot find it. It's not on the spreadsheet.

Edit: I found him. @ShotgunF15E logged 501kW with a 1071394-00-A and 2.24.30

Looks like I need to figure out how to get upgraded from 2.22.50 to 2.24.30
Hopefully he can enter his data to the spreadsheet.

As for upgrading the software, if you can't get it remotely into your car, probably fastest way is go to a service center and ask them to load it to your car.

Well St Charles, from your best result at the track today, it's pretty clear that 122 mph is not needed to break into the 10s.

So at least that's been put to rest.

I'm with you on the logistic difficulties of getting the car to the track on a full charge. I have a trailer and have considered it as there is nowhere nearby for me to charger my car and run it with a SOC which would yield anything other than an average pass for one of these cars.

But due to the weight of my Tesla, the weight of my trailer, and the towing capability of my truck, it's not feasible unless I want to risk damage to my truck.

It seems that the car did what was expected in the 1/8, producing a sub 7 second ET, and a good 1/8 mile trap. But following that, and on the top end, with the additional power, it would seem that would have made more of a difference.

Reactions: ggnykk
As for upgrading the software, if you can't get it remotely into your car, probably fastest way is go to a service center and ask them to load it to your car.

Is this a relatively painless process? Are Service Centers generally ok with walk in requests for this stuff?

Well St Charles, from your best result at the track today, it's pretty clear that 122 mph is not needed to break into the 10s.

So at least that's been put to rest.

It seems that the car did what was expected in the 1/8, producing a sub 7 second ET, and a good 1/8 mile trap. But following that, and on the top end, with the additional power, it would seem that would have made more of a difference.

On the internet, nothing is truly put to rest...

I have to agree that I am quite happy with my 1/8th mi results. That said, I think a trap speed of at least 118 along with a sub 1.60 60 foot will be needed to see a 10.9xx pass.

Reactions: mdevp and gsxdsm
That was the thing that stood out to me the most. There was a lot of back and forth about the trap speed needed to hit the 10.9 and this result throws all that out the window.

Mathematically, one could achieve a 10.0 timeslip at 90 MPH. So long as they were going 90 the entire length of the track :) I wonder if the Military has any spare JATO units laying around. What's the worst that could happen?

• Funny
Reactions: brianman
Hey Everyone,

I made it to the strip and was able to get 6 passes in before I hit 80% SoC and called it quits. The good news is I was able to best my previous time. Sadly, I was unable to break into the 10's.

11.05 @ 117.49/1.58" 60'/SoC 98%

A few things I noted today:

1) I need to find a way to get to the track with 100% SoC. The 6 miles or so I need to cover is costing me a Best case scenario run.
2) Launch mode and slip start seem to yield similar results.
3) Letting the car sit for more than a few minutes will cost ET as the battery cools. Even with Max battery ready.

I need to go to the drawing board on a few things and see if I can find .05 somewhere. I have some ideas I need to test.

Well done buddy. Its a top outcome (fastest to date)

Looking at your slip, you have a stellar first half of track then a quite slow second half. The car is ramping down significantly during the second half of the track (too hot?) .. i have seen slips qith 94mph mid track and 118 at end (gaining 24mph across the bottom half) where you went 98mph mid track to 117 ... gaining 19mph). If it did not pull the power you would have passed at ... wait ... 122 and a 10.

I can post the slip i am speaking of if you need.

Carefully note the power and mph of the first 10. Then note how high a 10 that is with the additional power. Then you will see how short changed those without the increase are and also how unlikely it is they will run the same without power bump ...

Is there any doubt the additional (hardware and software) power and optimal conditions absolutely required to run advertised 10.9???

Well done buddy. Its a top outcome (fastest to date)

Looking at your slip, you have a stellar first half of track then a quite slow second half. The car is ramping down significantly during the second half of the track (too hot?) .. i have seen slips qith 94mph mid track and 118 at end (gaining 24mph across the bottom half) where you went 98mph mid track to 117 ... gaining 19mph). If it did not pull the power you would have passed at ... wait ... 122 and a 10.

I can post the slip i am speaking of if you need.

Is there any doubt the additional (hardware and software) power and optimal conditions absolutely required to run advertised 10.9???

This one ... You didn't accidentally hit sport mode at half track did you ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 58
This one ... You didn't accidentally hit sport mode at half track did you ?
Wow I was just looking at your power chart and a lot of power is dropped after half track! Almost 100kw in only 11 seconds of acceleration.

I wonder if you are running too hot. You might be better to start cooler to allow more power longer than start with absolute max (which is mostly torque managed anyway).

I am curious to compare the power reading to the one on drag times.

First, your traps speeds are really high, I'm jealous. Did you do anything in addition to rooting your car? Have you run at a different track and achieved the same trap speed?

Second, since I don't actually own a trailer I would have to rent a u-Haul POS. Hopefully a Tesla Model S fits on one. Also, Mason Dixon is so close to a supercharger I could do all the charging and battery warming right before driving onto the track.
I did not root my car. I went to Bakersfield because I heard it was a faster track then Fontana that is why I trailered it and there were no chargers nearby. At Fontana I did 11.326 @ 116.92 so .1 sec and 2.7 mph slower.

Hmm guys, i've been following this thread closely just out of interest. What wonders me is if any of the people here who say Tesla needs to deliver what they advertise (don't get me wrong, I think so too) wil be happy when, under the most extremely perfect conditions, the car does a 10.9xx ? For me, it still wouldn't be a 10.9 car. Only when it is achievable a few times in a row, I would think this. You can't go to a track telling everybody "out of the way, here is the 10.9 car" but unless SoC, battery temp, altitude etc isn't perfect, it isn't.
And if everything is just perfect, it still will be a 10.9 car for ONE run. After that, the stars don't align anymore.
I'm not a drag racer so I might not understand it completely.

or maybe MT confuses mph and kph the same way Tesla does in their response to the
Hmm guys, i've been following this thread closely just out of interest. What wonders me is if any of the people here who say Tesla needs to deliver what they advertise (don't get me wrong, I think so too) wil be happy when, under the most extremely perfect conditions, the car does a 10.9xx ? For me, it still wouldn't be a 10.9 car. Only when it is achievable a few times in a row, I would think this. You can't go to a track telling everybody "out of the way, here is the 10.9 car" but unless SoC, battery temp, altitude etc isn't perfect, it isn't.
And if everything is just perfect, it still will be a 10.9 car for ONE run. After that, the stars don't align anymore.
I'm not a drag racer so I might not understand it completely.

Then you should not buy an EV. Basic physics dictates different performance at different states of charge, no way around it. I would consider it ok, if the car is able to achive the numbers under the right conditions - but those conditions should be replicable for the average owner

Status
Not open for further replies.