Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer Teslas also with Takata recalled airbags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My nearly new Tesla has one of these?! How was this not corrected in 2015? Or 2014? Or 2013? Or 2012?... The situation concerning ammonium nitrate has been known forever. What the swear-word?!
Because as Yinn said, their vendor told them they were safe. To change them would require all new crash testing, re-engineering, and a massive distraction from Model 3 which is life or death for Tesla right now. It would be foolish of Tesla to engage in all that activity against what their vendor told them.

Yeesh. As if the SC's don't have enough to do -<whee>-

I just checked my VIN at Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and didn't see mine (2014 MS85) listed (yet?

I have two other cars with these ticking time bombs. There's two possibilities. Either the database isn't updated yet - Tesla was just included less than a week ago. Or (more likely) they're too new to be a concern.

I have one car that's definitively on the list. But because of my region and age I get a recall IF I live in Florida, but not if I live in PA. If I live in PA, I get a recall 2 years later than Florida. Or if my car was older, it'd be recalled. I guess no road trips...

Not all Takata airbags were defective, so it has been said. I don't know, but neither am I too worried about it. Perhaps I should be.

Correct, good article here about it:
Takata Airbag Recall - Everything You Need to Know

Essentially, there's a part in the airbag that ends up as shrapnel anytime an air bag deploys. As the chemicals age, it absorbs moisture, which changes the chemical mixture, increases the force of deployment and makes the shrapnel more deadly.

In some cars, the takata airbags are also combined with an issue with unintended deployment.

For almost 2 years, the entire world has known that non-desiccated Takata inflators with ammonium nitrate are potentially deadly and need to be recalled and replaced. In May we learned that Tesla was likely affected and that a recall would eventually be coming for some vehicles. But this morning, we further learned that Tesla is apparently STILL building the Model S using these deadly airbags. It is rather disappointing to learn that they had plenty of time and resources to retool and change the shape of the nose, but swapping out a potentially fatal airbag didn't make the cut.

Takata airbags take several years to degrade, so the cars rolling off the assembly line today aren't yet dangerous. But that hardly seems like a good rationale for continuing to use a part that is not only faulty but eventually dangerous.

Supercars at Risk: McLaren, Ferrari, and Tesla Added to Takata Airbag Recalls

• Disagree
Reactions: eloder and Archduke
Number of Takata Airbag Deaths in the USA = 11.
Number of cars in the US affected = 70,000,000.
Number of car fatalities in the US from 2002-2015 = 500,000
Minimum recall costs for all cars affected, $35,000,000,000 ($35B)

So ... Over $3 billion per life saved. What a bargain.

Why are our lawyers and politicians so uneducated?
I blame the schools.

For almost 2 years, the entire world has known that non-desiccated Takata inflators with ammonium nitrate are potentially deadly and need to be recalled and replaced. In May we learned that Tesla was likely affected and that a recall would eventually be coming for some vehicles. But this morning, we further learned that Tesla is apparently STILL building the Model S using these deadly airbags. It is rather disappointing to learn that they had plenty of time and resources to retool and change the shape of the nose, but swapping out a potentially fatal airbag didn't make the cut.

Takata airbags take several years to degrade, so the cars rolling off the assembly line today aren't yet dangerous. But that hardly seems like a good rationale for continuing to use a part that is not only faulty but eventually dangerous.

Supercars at Risk: McLaren, Ferrari, and Tesla Added to Takata Airbag Recalls

In fake news era I find it suspicious when article claiming Tesla Model S 2016 being included in Takata recall is linking to another (blog)article that is linking back the original article.

cars.com says: "[Tesla] spokeswoman did not respond to multiple inquiries about whether any new Tesla models employ the more volatile Takata inflators."

EDIT: I'm now pretty certain now that this blog article came in response to today's short squeeze of TSLA stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Number of Takata Airbag Deaths in the USA = 11.
Number of cars in the US affected = 70,000,000.
Number of car fatalities in the US from 2002-2015 = 500,000
Minimum recall costs for all cars affected, $35,000,000,000 ($35B)

So ... Over $3 billion per life saved. What a bargain.

Why are our lawyers and politicians so uneducated?
I blame the schools.

Do you know the number of none death caused by Takata?
Do you know Takata fake the test result and tried to cover it up? They knew about it in 2004. How much do you think the replacement cost will be if they acted in 2004.