Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer Teslas also with Takata recalled airbags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Number of Takata Airbag Deaths in the USA = 11.
Number of cars in the US affected = 70,000,000.
Number of car fatalities in the US from 2002-2015 = 500,000
Minimum recall costs for all cars affected, $35,000,000,000 ($35B)

So ... Over $3 billion per life saved. What a bargain.

Why are our lawyers and politicians so uneducated?
I blame the schools.

This is very ignorant, because it ignores the time-delay of the airbag modules going from safe to dangerous.

The low number of deaths from Takata airbags so far is largely a function of the fact that it takes 10+ years for the Ammonium Nitrate propellant wafers to degrade from repeated heat cycling and exposure to humidity. Honda was the first company to start using airbags w Ammonium Nitrate inflators in the early 2000's in some of its cars. It took years for this chemistry to spread throughout the Honda lineup and then to other manufacturers. Consequently, the full extent of dangerous inflators would not be reflected for years in injury/death measure.

The Takata inflators used in 2001-2003 Honda and Acura cars have about 50% chance of explosive fragmentation when triggered. Imagine years down the line if airbags today aren't replaced and 10s of Millions of cars pose a lethal threat to car occupants. That is why the recall exists. So please leave the ignorant snark out of it.

This is very ignorant, because it ignores the time-delay of the airbag modules going from safe to dangerous.

The low number of deaths from Takata airbags so far is largely a function of the fact that it takes 10+ years for the Ammonium Nitrate propellant wafers to degrade from repeated heat cycling and exposure to humidity. Honda was the first company to start using airbags w Ammonium Nitrate inflators in the early 2000's in some of its cars. It took years for this chemistry to spread throughout the Honda lineup and then to other manufacturers. Consequently, the full extent of dangerous inflators would not be reflected for years in injury/death measure.

The Takata inflators used in 2001-2003 Honda and Acura cars have about 50% chance of explosive fragmentation when triggered. Imagine years down the line if airbags today aren't replaced and 10s of Millions of cars pose a lethal threat to car occupants. That is why the recall exists. So please leave the ignorant snark out of it.

Well said and this is also why people who are buying new cars don't need to worry about their airbags.

If you were right, I'd agree with you.

It's been 16 years in all kinds of weather, salt, abuse, miles, water incursion, and it's been 9 deaths? for all Hondas today. There has been 500,000 auto deaths in the US during the Takata years of all kinds.

To put a pin in the map, according to the NHTSA, https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/AB0707
  • In 1997, 53 people were killed by the deployment of airbags.
  • From 1990 to 2000 (before Takata), 219 people were killed by airbags.
This is why all cars have Black Box recorders. Everybody agreed that airbags can be lethal. But they will save more lives than they cost. So car makers were protected as they improved the technology.

Today, we are starting to go after the airbags cases. Takata screwed up, no doubt. But in the end, there will be a battle whether the Government can force an automaker to put dangerous devices into a car and have unlimited liability to boot.

Reactions: bhzmark
Well said and this is also why people who are buying new cars don't need to worry about their airbags.

It actually depends on the geographic location where the car has spent most of its time.

In areas of High Absolute Humidity, like Southeast Asia or the US Gulf Coast, the Ammonium Nitrate wafers can degrade to the point of danger in 6-7 years. In the Northern US and Canda, it could take 15+ years for the same degradation. 10 years is an average.

I would expect Tesla to begin recalling Model S from 2012-2013 by the end of 2017 if not sooner. Hopefully they already have a compatible airbag module design available. I note that Model X is not on the recall list. Given that the cars use the same steering wheel and a similar dashboard, I'd guess the airbag modules could be interchangeable.

It is possible that some of the airbags will need to be replaced. It is definitely something worthy to keep track of and I am sure Tesla will act accordingly as they have with prior recalls.

One of the problems with the recall right now is that in many cases, they are replacing the airbags with the same design/type of airbag, just thinking that the older ones have had more time to fail. It can take 10 years for these to succumb to high humidity or other environmental factors. I suspect that at some point, some of the ones in Tesla vehicles will have to be replaced, but I want them to have one with a desiccant. There's not point in replacing our very new airbags with the same airbags, just a few years newer.

It's been 16 years in all kinds of weather, salt, abuse, miles, water incursion, and it's been 9 deaths? for all Hondas today

Again, a large number of cars haven't aged to the point where their inflators are imminently dangerous.

Nobody forced Honda to use airbag modeled with this particular chemistry. In fact, other airbag makers like Autoliv had explicitly warned the car manufacturers that Ammonium Nitrate was too difficult to keep properly stabilized. This was a bad engineering choice, not the inevitable consequence of regulation.

Reactions: u00mem9
One of my oldest customer reps has a glass eye. In ~1995, he was in an accident and the airbag pushed his glasses into his eye.

He says he's just happy he's alive. But you need to be aware that is NOT safe to run into crap. Thousands are injured each year by airbags. And some die.

Strangely enough it is highly likely that Takata airbags in the 70 million defective cars probably saved thousands of lives.

Reactions: jbcarioca
He says he's just happy he's alive. But you need to be aware that is NOT safe to run into crap. Thousands are injured each year by airbags. And some die.

Sure, because airbag deployments are always the result of drivers running their own car into something. Have you ever been hit by another driver? I hear that it happens sometimes.

Yes, it is likely that Takata airbags have saved people. The airbags worked fine in crash tests when they were new. But that doesn't excuse the company's poor decisions. The product should work as intended for its entire lifecycle, not just a couple of years.

Kind of sounds like further acknowledgement of the May announcement. Still haven't heard anything from Tesla on the plan, though. Early Model S are entering the active recall age. Most manufacturers using the defective inflators for their 2011-2013 models have already declared their recalls and started replacing them in high-risk areas.

Year: 2015 Make: Tesla Model: Model S General Production-2015
Number of Open Recalls: 1

SUMMARY:
On certain vehicles, the driver and front passenger seatbelt anchor plate may not have been properly bolted to the pretensioner anchor plate during assembly.
SAFETY RISK:
In the event of a crash, the seatbelt may be unable to provide sufficient restraint force, which could increase the risk of injury to the seat occupant.
REMEDY:
Tesla Service Technicians at authorized locations will inspect and affect repairs as necessary.

Thats what it says for my wifes car!

Sure, because airbag deployments are always the result of drivers running their own car into something. Have you ever been hit by another driver? I hear that it happens sometimes.

Many have tried, none have been good enough. Yet. :D

Being aware there is an explosive charge right in front of you can save you from injury or death. Don't wear sunglasses or drive with a hand at the 12 o'clock position. Bad habits which can permanently cripple you. If you must wear Designer Oakley's, wear a helmet with smoked visor instead and put an Oakley sticker on your back window so folk know you are bitchin'. :D

Given Tesla's past history of being proactive on safety issues, I have to wonder why the company hadn't taken steps to eliminate airbags with Ammonium Nitrate inflators from its supply chain for Model S.

Even if the inflators don't become dangerous until 2018 or so at the earliest for the 2012 Model S cars, it still looks bad.

Given Tesla's past history of being proactive on safety issues, I have to wonder why the company hadn't taken steps to eliminate airbags with Ammonium Nitrate inflators from its supply chain for Model S.

Even if the inflators don't become dangerous until 2018 or so at the earliest for the 2012 Model S cars, it still looks bad.

Exactly. I don't understand why they watched this disaster pull slowly into dock for the last 36 months without a rush plan to stop producing more future recalls. Everyone in the industry knew ALL these were going to eventually need replacement. Spoiler alert: the desiccated variants will be added when they start exploding.

They have tested thousands of these in lab, after recovering them from vehicles. The failure rate was very high for the units in Honda and other makers because in addition to using the cheapest possible propellant, they made the cheapest possible container. GM wisely made the structure able to withstand the phase changed material.

There's still several unknown components. I'm not defending Tesla here, but does anyone know what type of igniter they're using?

I had an Acura that had the same issue, their resolution was to replace the metallic igniter cartridge with a newer style plastic one. Now I'm sure it'll still cause some serious damage if the force is strong enough, but apparently it's a fix that's was deemed not as deadly or sufficient. I'm slightly curious if this was only a stop gap measure as it's a new cartridge that then buys another couple of years.

*Side note, we sold that car (after the fix) and will never buy another Honda/Acura specifically due to the way they handled the Takata recall with us.