Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this install yesterday and the cable was there for my early June '15 delivered 70D.

In case you don't have access to those plugs from Fry's, the pin spacing is exactly the same as common RC servo plugs such as this:
RC Jr Hitec Futaba Set Male Female Servo Connector Gold Plated Plug | eBay

Just use the male portion without the outer sleeve. Works perfectly.

Those of you using this for dashcam parking mode without battery protection device, is it safe to do so? I've read comments about the 12V getting charged constantly by HV battery, yet some others claim it will kill the 12V. Not sure what to believe...

I let it run on a constant on 12v. There are other items in the car constantly drawing 12v. Its always connected to the internet, Some cars are even playing music throughout the night lol. There are a lot of things constantly running and the dashcam draws so little that its negligible.

Those of you using this for dashcam parking mode without battery protection device, is it safe to do so? I've read comments about the 12V getting charged constantly by HV battery, yet some others claim it will kill the 12V. Not sure what to believe...

It's not a problem. I run my dashcam 24x7 as well as the switch module for the front parking camera kit. The 12v battery is recharged from the traction pack as needed. Also, these dashcams pull such small currents, they really aren't going to affect the 12v battery much, if at all. And if it does, it gets recharged automatically.

They do. Thanks, I'll check that out. I had looked on the Canadian Amazon site (amazon.ca) but couldn't find anything. I think knowing what these things are called would have helped me in my earlier searches.

I could just cut and splice the wires because I don't think I'll ever have any other use for that connector up there. Speaking of which... why has it started turning up on newer cars? My understanding is that it was there originally because Tesla was going to retrofit visors with mirror lights, but backed away from that. Subsequent cars were delivered without that connector. Does this mean lighted visors are back on the radar?

...skip getting the connectors, pins, etc to mate with the connector under the mike grille. I took the power cable for the new Blackvue 650 for my wife's new S70D, cut off the cigarette lighter connector, stripped the red and black wires, and tinned them (...soldering iron and rosin core solder--makes the stranded wire stiff). I then just popped open the connector inside the headliner, and laid the tinned wires onto the proper exposed pins, and snapped the connector closed. Works great, and leaves the connector available for whatever TM comes up with later...

Reactions: bhzmark
Is there also a switched 12V source somewhere in or near the microphone grille? The dashcam I plan to use (Thinkware F750) requires both a constant and a switched 12V to detect when it should go into parking mode.

Some cars have a connector under the microphone grille with constant 12v, but there is no switched 12v up there. Some cars do not have this connector present. It seems to have shown up on early cars, then went away, then started showing up again on later models.

Is there also a switched 12V source somewhere in or near the microphone grille? The dashcam I plan to use (Thinkware F750) requires both a constant and a switched 12V to detect when it should go into parking mode.
On my 03/2014 P85 there is a switched 12v under the headliner - all the way to the right (when sitting in the car). I actually thought it was non-switched, so at first I connected my dashcam to that. Later I changed it to the constant 12v from the glovebox.

On my 03/2014 P85 there is a switched 12v under the headliner - all the way to the right (when sitting in the car). I actually thought it was non-switched, so at first I connected my dashcam to that. Later I changed it to the constant 12v from the glovebox.

Wow. I wonder what Tesla's intention was with that? The one in the microphone compartment was supposedly for illuminated vanity mirrors that never came to be. The early car I test drove (pre-production) had illuminated mirrors, but the story goes that Elon didn't like them and they were supposed to be re-designed. Later a decision was made to go with no lights and that was roughly when the connector disappeared from the microphone grille. For some reason, the connector began showing up on cars again more recently.

Also, how did you ever find the switched wire way over to the right? I found the headliner to be so tightly fastened that I could barely get the wire poked through from the microphone area to the glass to hook up my dash cam.

Wow. I wonder what Tesla's intention was with that? The one in the microphone compartment was supposedly for illuminated vanity mirrors that never came to be. The early car I test drove (pre-production) had illuminated mirrors, but the story goes that Elon didn't like them and they were supposed to be re-designed. Later a decision was made to go with no lights and that was roughly when the connector disappeared from the microphone grille. For some reason, the connector began showing up on cars again more recently.

Also, how did you ever find the switched wire way over to the right? I found the headliner to be so tightly fastened that I could barely get the wire poked through from the microphone area to the glass to hook up my dash cam.
I'm on my cell phone. So sorry for the brief answer. I have no idea what the switched wires are originally for. To get to them I loosened the A-pillar liner and took off the sunshade in the right side. Then you can pull down the headliner and get to the wire. It's fixed with tape and I believe it's only on cars w/o the alarm package (like mine). Hope it makes sense :). If not, I have pictures :)

I'm on my cell phone. So sorry for the brief answer. I have no idea what the switched wires are originally for. To get to them I loosened the A-pillar liner and took off the sunshade in the right side. Then you can pull down the headliner and get to the wire. It's fixed with tape and I believe it's only on cars w/o the alarm package (like mine). Hope it makes sense :). If not, I have pictures :)

Pictures would be very helpful, please post some when you get the chance.

The security package is only available in Europe, I wonder if cars in other regions will have this wire at all? And will it be on the left hand side for RHD cars?

As another data point, my Model S 70D (May 2015, VIN 0821XX) also has the unused 3-pin 10V/12V connector in the roof under the mic grille.

Yeah, it's weird how it was there on early cars, disappeared, then started showing up again. I wonder what Tesla's real intention is for this connector?

- - - Updated - - -

To get to them I loosened the A-pillar liner and took off the sunshade in the right side. Then you can pull down the headliner and get to the wire. It's fixed with tape and I believe it's only on cars w/o the alarm package (like mine).

Thanks. I wonder what the relationship to the Alarm System is all about?