Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest Fun Feature also Dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With both FWD & Trunk open, I'm doing some vacuuming while Dog is sitting in back (3rd row seats down). A small next door neighbor girl age ~8 comes over to pet the dog and I then go to the back of the car also. Within 30 seconds of talking and just standing there, the Fob in the front pocket of my golf shorts somehow get's hit, and starts closing all 3 doors.

Her and I are surprised by the lowering of the trunk door onto us, and I grab the door and muscle back up & open.

I love and use this new feature all the time, but recommend the "all close" feature take a triple click, or one long click, or something far harder than one click.

I keep my fob in left front pocket with cell phone since they won't scratch each other. Obsolete keys and RFID-blocking wallet in right pocket.

This same kind of thing has happened to me a few times, also. In my case, phone case (pun intended) presses on top of key fob and doors all close when I don't want that to happen.

The feature should be configurable with how many clicks it takes to enable it, with default OFF. TSLA has person(s) monitoring these forums, they'll probably notice this. People should also email [email protected] to report it.

You can also use a voice command to leave comments and feedback directly to Tesla from inside your X. Few people know about this feature -- it's described in the manual in your X.

It's hard for them to uncover all unintended side effects when they test these new features!!

I think designers need to start incorporating fob pockets into their shirts and pants. Some kind of smaller pocket with an elastic, stretchy side to prevent accidental clicks. Kind of like that small change pocket-in-a-pocket in your jeans, but a little bigger and stretchy. Some shirts already have a sleeve pocket that would work.

Tesla should commission such shirts and make them available in their store.

I keep my fob in left front pocket with cell phone since they won't scratch each other. Obsolete keys and RFID-blocking wallet in right pocket.

This same kind of thing has happened to me a few times, also. In my case, phone case (pun intended) presses on top of key fob and doors all close when I don't want that to happen.

The feature should be configurable with how many clicks it takes to enable it, with default OFF. TSLA has person(s) monitoring these forums, they'll probably notice this. People should also email [email protected] to report it.

You can also use a voice command to leave comments and feedback directly to Tesla from inside your X. Few people know about this feature -- it's described in the manual in your X.

It's hard for them to uncover all unintended side effects when they test these new features!!
Thanks,
As the the originator, I sent an e-mail today as you suggested. Let's hope the act soon.
Lots of good ideas, long click on top, triple click on top. Maybe two button click trunk/frunk, it will never happen in your pocket.

;-)

I think designers need to start incorporating fob pockets into their shirts and pants. Some kind of smaller pocket with an elastic, stretchy side to prevent accidental clicks. Kind of like that small change pocket-in-a-pocket in your jeans, but a little bigger and stretchy. Some shirts already have a sleeve pocket that would work.

Tesla should commission such shirts and make them available in their store.
I like it. Or how about a tiny roof rack that clips onto FOB, so to push the top button, it is recessed just enough that your thumb can do it but your pants cannot. Kidding, kind of

I have falcon-squeezed myself many times already in the first day of ownership while installing the car seat. I am coming to terms that the fob is not pocket friendly or needs some sort of a lightweight key guard to avoid accidental closures.

• Informative
Reactions: GVTesla
Since my SO had commandeered our X and she keeps the key in her bag, this had not occurred to us. This road trip is my first time having the key to myself for a long time and while pulling bags out of the trunk, pushed against the bumper and the hatchu tried to decapitate me thrice.

I was one of those who wrote to TM to allow closing all doors via the fob. And adding two-three clicks will only make it more confusing and frustrating. I like the idea that it should be a configurable feature (enable/disable) from Settings like the auto present front door. Also, if they move the auto close of all doors from the top to clicking both sides of the fob together (where the FWD buttons are on the fob) that would take care of most scenarios.

Reactions: FarmerDave
Since my SO had commandeered our X and she keeps the key in her bag, this had not occurred to us. This road trip is my first time having the key to myself for a long time and while pulling bags out of the trunk, pushed against the bumper and the hatchu tried to decapitate me thrice.

I was one of those who wrote to TM to allow closing all doors via the fob. And adding two-three clicks will only make it more confusing and frustrating. I like the idea that it should be a configurable feature (enable/disable) from Settings like the auto present front door. Also, if they move the auto close of all doors from the top to clicking both sides of the fob together (where the FWD buttons are on the fob) that would take care of most scenarios.
Agree, two button click of any type solves it. So many options are there to get safer.

Actually, you might be onto something. A neoprene key fob holder with a rigid wire structure around the fob to prevent accidental presses!

For the best protection, let's just encase the fob completely in a protective shell. Of course, the shell's door should auto open when clicked. Sometimes I want to open it before I can reach it, however, so I'd prefer a fob for the fob. A fob-fob single click would close the fob.