Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest Model S refresh ditched the parking sensors?

cmarshack

Oct 25, 2015
San Clemente, CA
I was watching a YouTube video walk-around of the newest re-fresh of the Model S and there are clearly no more parking sensors.

Does it lose the ability to show inches to the nearest obstacle? Can anyone with the new car let us know how the close range parking situation works now?

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 10.18.34 AM.png

Palladium4Days

Jul 16, 2021
Minnesota
By parking sensors, I assume you mean the 12 ultrasonic sensors around the car. (small circles) that are used for autopilot and parking. they are still there zoom in. they are on my lr refresh S

Rupe

Jul 8, 2011
Ft Walton Beach FL
There’s no longer a radar in the Plaid/LR which is disappointing. When in a line of cars at a drive through, it does not show instant distance in inches to the car in front, like my previous Model S & X did, but it lags by 1-2 seconds before settling on a distance.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
There’s no longer a radar in the Plaid/LR which is disappointing. When in a line of cars at a drive through, it does not show instant distance in inches to the car in front, like my previous Model S & X did, but it lags by 1-2 seconds before settling on a distance.

There most certainly is still radar in the Plaid/LR. These cars have not switched to a pure vision system yet.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

ct101

MSLR Order 1/10-Wht/Crm/FSD/21s | VIN 6/25 Del 7/6
Jan 27, 2021
Colorado
There most certainly is still radar in the Plaid/LR. These cars have not switched to a pure vision system yet.

The ones delivered so far have. However just today, Tesla took the description of the radar function off the Model S webpage. They are definitely aiming at going vision-only.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
The ones delivered so far have. However just today, Tesla took the description of the radar function off the Model S webpage. They are definitely aiming at going vision-only.

Yes. That’s been the goal for a while now. At the moment, the S is radar+vision in all delivered vehicles to date.

ct101

MSLR Order 1/10-Wht/Crm/FSD/21s | VIN 6/25 Del 7/6
Jan 27, 2021
Colorado
Yes. That’s been the goal for a while now. At the moment, the S is radar+vision in all delivered vehicles to date.
I can verify it’s physically there in mine delivered 7/6, but I’m just curious about how it will change things.

Back to the OP though I can verify that NO, the refresh S did not ditch parking sensors. Mine still has them.

Rupe

Jul 8, 2011
Ft Walton Beach FL
I can verify it’s physically there in mine delivered 7/6, but I’m just curious about how it will change things.

Back to the OP though I can verify that NO, the refresh S did not ditch parking sensors. Mine still has them.
When someone told me there was no radar I looked for the telltale rectangle but didn’t see one. Where is the radar?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC