TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Newest roadster owner!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Bunnak, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

#21 Roadrunner13, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Having a 3G version allows you to monitor your charging AWAY from home!
    Very useful on roadtrip when your not sitting idle next to it while it's charging!!!
    This little car only 'slow' charges so you can be doing lots of stuff away from it! :)
    It comes with a cheap IOT sim card too.
    Wouldn't have done Montreal-Boston without it!

2. da2ny

da2ny 2010 Roadster Sport Twilight Blue #913

And you can see if you remembered to lock your car -- and enables you to remotely lock/unlock it as well as arm/disarm valet mode. 3G version is worth the extra $.

3. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

#23 Roadrunner13, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    When in stock, it gets to you rapidly but this is custom hardware with a small user base so they sometimes run out and there was also a prototyping period earlier when they were out of stock for a while.

In the US, you need this version:
    $150.00 OVMS v3.1 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition) - optional plug-in / 3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem / GPS/GNSS / nano SIM slot at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

You would also need the antenna:
    $3.15 OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna - Official OVMS Parts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

<useless & wrong reference, see next post> :)
    BUT I'm seeing the roadster cable being out of stock/discontinued...that makes the whole thing useless for our roadsters! Sorry!
    $7.50 OVMS Data Cable for Tesla Roadster - Official OVMS Parts / Tesla Roadster v1.x/v2.x/v3.x compatible at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Paging @markwj ...Is this temporary?

</uselesss & wrong reference, see next post>

4. da2ny

da2ny 2010 Roadster Sport Twilight Blue #913

• Like x 1
  5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The old Tesla Roadster specific cable (1x CAN bus connected) was obsoleted last year. We replaced it with a new version that supports all early Tesla cars (including early Model S), and breaks out 3x CAN buses, 1x K-line, plus the usual power.

$9.50 OVMS Data Cable for Early Teslas - official OVMS parts / Tesla Roadster v1.x/v2.x/v3.x & early Model S compatible at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. PFLeFaou

PFLeFaou Member

Hi everyone,
    Are there commercial equivalents of OVMS, or is it the only system available for our Roadsters?
    Thank you!

7. casamanzana

casamanzana New Member

I seem to get that XPEL sets the gold standard but what about the 3M film?

8. Beth

Beth Member

I have Roadster 901 - Arctic White with a hardtop. It doesn't seem to matter how far out in the "North 40" I park my car, someone always seems to park right next to me, even if the entire parking lot is empty! I still don't understand this. I don't take Stela out if I am unsure about being able to park her in sparse parking. I have more paint damage from rocks flying up while driving. Guess I drive too fast!!

9. Beth

Beth Member

Oh.. and watch those two cute drivers in your new car. They look like that could be crazy extreme drivers!! :)

10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

There was a system called Tesla Tattler, that was SMS based (not smartphone app). But not sure if that is still available or not.

11. RK91

RK91 Member

I would love to get together. Let's cruise down PCH. I live in Orange and own #91.

• Like x 2
  12. Gary1M

Gary1M Member

Congratulations on your beautiful Roadster! Count #309 from Yorba Linda in for a So Cal Roadster meet-up.

• Like x 1
  13. Peter.h

Peter.h Electric Newbie

Count me (and #303) in! We're in Palos Verdes.

And congrats on a beautiful roadster!!

• Like x 1
  14. hanknum

hanknum Member

Congrats on the purchase. I too am a new owner...just traded my 308 for the Roadster (#187) back in January. I'd love to do a get together. I'm up in Santa Barbara, so maybe you guys can head north. LMK if that works.

Thanks,

Henry

• Like x 1
  15. Carl W

Carl W 2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5

Count me in on that gathering, too. I'm in Laguna Beach. Let me know when and where!

Regarding parking and worrying about scratches, I park everywhere and just take chances because I want to drive daily and I don't want to stress. I think getting scratches in 48 hours of getting the car is just terrible luck. Film protection sounds like a good idea, though.

• Like x 1
  16. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Great to see all the replies for a So Cal get together. I’m keeping tabs of all the replies so keep them coming. I will arrange something for this summer.

17. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The OVMS is very good and reasonably priced. I would be VERY surprised if you found something else.

• Like x 1
  18. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

Count me in as well for a Roadster get-together. I have #108 (Thunder Gray) up in Carpinteria, happy to take it to LA for a party!

• Like x 1
  19. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

If it works out with my schedule, I would be interested too. Like Perter H, I am in Palos Verdes also.

• Like x 1
  20. RobsJester

RobsJester Member

Count 453 in too - we are near MDR

• Like x 1