Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newport RI area chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I see that the Middletown, RI Supercharger isn't scheduled until next year. Currently looking at doing an August trip to Newport. RI and onwards to Cape Cod. I grew up in Portsmouth so will be a nice nostalgic trip back to the Newport area. I've been looking at plugshare to see what charging options are there on Aquidneck Island. Beyond the hotels with destination lvl 2 chargers, have people had success charging at other public chargers? Any recommendations/ tips for an evening charge? Does it get too crowded during peak summer months. Not sure if we'll be in the heart of Newport or outside, so we might need to top up the battery here and there and would rather not have to go all the way out to Warwick to the supercharger there. I see Roger Williams U over in Bristol has a number of chargers (hopefully open to the public?). thanks

Charge up before you get to RI, MA is carpeted with Superchargers and there is one in Conn close to the Rhode Island border. Cape Cod has three Superchargers so no problem there. To find a hotel use the Tesla charger map and select destination chargers, there must be some in the Newport area. Before the pandemic we had dinner at Ocean House in Waverly, they had Tesla chargers so I got a free charge while we had dinner, not much of a discount considering that dinner was over $400.

Reactions: kayak1 and pakman00
There are a lot of level 2 public chargers in Newport, Middletown. I would check PlugShare, though most of them are on the ChargePoint network so you may want to get that app as well. The visitor center, library, a state park, the hospital all have public charging and most of them are free.

Reactions: EdA
To be more specific, if you are coming from Conn top up at East Greenwich, if your are coming from MA top up at Wareham. If you leave those spots with 90% you'll have plenty of juice for your time in New Port. You're a native so you know that Newport and the surrounding area is tiny. When you head for the Cape you can top up at Wareham or Sagamore. On the Cape there are chargers at Mashpee, Hyannis and Orleans so it's just as easy as having a gas car.

Thanks. Grew up there but haven't been back in over 2 decades:oops:... We're driving in from the Conn side. I was hoping not having to drive up to Warwick to the supercharger before heading to Newport (got a long day of driving from Western PA...), but in the scheme of things, it's not that far out of the way if it means getting a near full charge before heading into Newport. Middletown library looks like a good backup especially with 4 stations and 24/7 according to plugshare.

Reactions: kayak1
A lot of CCS/CHAdeMO stations have been popping up a lot in the past year or two. There's even one that's supposedly free at the RI/CT border, although I've never used it and so can't vouch for it personally. There's also one at a Nissan dealership in Newport, but PlugShare indicates it's currently (as of May 13) out of order -- but maybe it'll be fixed by the time of your trip. These new CCS/CHAdeMO stations are making Tesla's CHAdeMO or Setec's CCS adapter look more appealing than they were two years ago. It's probably not worth the $400-$460 price of one of these adapters for just one trip (and Tesla's seems to be perpetually out of stock; you've got to click the link to be notified when it comes in stock and then jump on it immediately). You might be able to borrow or rent one, though. I don't have any URLs handy, but I know that some businesses and Tesla clubs have CHAdeMO adapters for lease, or at least they did a year or two ago. If you do a lot of road trips, you might want to check PlugShare to see what's become available lately in the areas you visit, since CCS/CHAdeMO infrastructure can often help in situations like yours. Buying an adapter might be worthwhile if you find yourself in this sort of situation often. Keep in mind that Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kW. Setec's CCS adapter is currently limited to 50kW on the Model 3/Y and 80kW on the S/X (I don't know about the Plaid variant, though).

From Conn there is a Supercharger in New London which is just across the border from Westerly RI, I was there on Saturday. It's a V3 so the charging speed was great however the bathroom is on the other side of the mall which is a bit of a hike.
From MA there is a new SC in Seekonk MA and a station in Warwick that's under construction now, should be available shortly. The station marked Middleton will really be in Portsmouth, I exchanged e-mails with Neon Markets last month and they told me that Middleton didn't have enough room but that they would have a Supercharger at their Portsmouth location later this year.