Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEWS: 5-star safety rating from the European New Car Assessment Program (Euro NCAP)!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa, did anyone notice this? The car physically reconfigures itself depending on the stature of the pedestrian it's about to hit. Another glimpse into features of the autopilot system.

"The Tesla is equipped with an 'active' bonnet. When the system detects that a pedestrian has been struck, actuators lift the bonnet to provide greater clearance to hard structures underneath. Tesla showed that the system detects all statures robustly over a range of speeds and the car was tested with the bonnet in the deployed position. Protection was adequate or marginal over most of the surface of the bonnet with poor results recorded only at the base of the windscreen and on the stiff screen pillars. The bumper offered predominantly good protection to pedestrians' legs while the front edge of the bonnet gave good results towards the centre of the car but poor results at the outside edges."
Isn't this something most modern cars have?

I was wondering the same thing. If you look at just the 2014 results of the 5 star cars, Tesla is in the lower of them....

http://www.euroncap.com/results/2014.aspx

Tesla - 82 77 66 71
Mercedes C-Class - 92 84 77 70
VW Golf Sportsvan - 87 85 62 73
Mercedes GLA - 96 88 67 70
Mercedes V - 93 87 67 85
Nissan Qashqai - 88 83 69 79
Nissan Pulsar - 84 81 75 68
BMW 2 - 84 85 60 70
Skoda Fabia - 81 81 69 69
Cars in different size classes can't be compared because the tests simulates two cars of similar weight crashing into each other (cars within +-150kg is still comparable). Tesla is the only car in the executive class apparently tested this year. The test data they publish is based on a "points" system rather than having actual measurements, so kind of hard to tell the forces the dummies actually sustained.

Tests in different years also can't be compared because NCAP recently changed their tests in 2013.

Although the notes in the test does say the Tesla got dinged on the passenger side because the airbag bottomed out due to a defect that has since been corrected. And on the safety assist it probably is weaker than other cars (since the features just got added), as well as pedestrian safety.

Last edited:
I wonder what the other two cars are?

I wondered the same thing, so I decided to try to look it up. Funny thing is, I only found one that was rated 5-stars by both - 2012 Nissan Leaf (note: it's 2012 result is on the 2011 page for Euro NCAP).

For Euro NCAP, you can see a list of results from each year here:

Quick views | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

I couldn't find a simple list of NHTSA 5-star cars, so I compiled my own from a few news articles.

AudiA4/S4

AudiA6/S6

CadillacATS

ChevroletCamaro

FordFocus Electric

HondaAccord Coupe

KiaOptima and Optima Hybrid

SubaruLegacy

TeslaModel S

VolvoS60

2013AudiA4

DodgeDart

FordFocus (Sedan and Hatchback)

BuickVerano

AcuraILX and ILX Hybrid

HyundaiSanta Fe Sport

2012AcuraZDX SUV

BWM5-Series

BuickEnclave

BuickLaCrosse

CadillacCTS

CadillacSRX

ChevroletCamaro

ChevroletCruze

ChevroletTraverse SUV

ChevroletVolt

GMCAcadia

HondaAccord 4-door

HondaOddyssey minivan

HyundaiSonata, Sonata Hybrid

KiaOptima, Optima Hybrid

NissanLeaf

Saab9-4X SUV

SciontC

ToyotaCamry, Camry Hybrid

ToyotaPrius

VolvoXC60 SUV

2011BMW5-Series

HyundaiSonata

Upon looking a little closer, it appears the 2011 Nissan Leaf also was rated 5-stars by both agencies, as well as the 2011 Volt. It seems like there would be more headlines if the only three cars to achieve that feat also happened to be the top 3 selling EV's*.

*Some will argue the Volt is a PHEV, but I think that's splitting hairs. Where do you draw the line between an EV with a range extender, and a PHEV?