TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

News article: Will your Smartphone replace your car key?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by John Lamoureux, Apr 6, 2018.

1. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

2. nitzmahone

nitzmahone Supporting Member

Well first off, at least for Android, they're totally wrong about "BLE doesn’t work unless the phone is turned on and the Tesla app is open and active on the phone." Dunno about with the iPhone the guy's holding, but definitely not true of a proper Android build. I can reboot my phone and not touch a thing (eg, launching the Tesla app), and I'm still able to unlock my car by walking up to it. BLE is usable by background services, which Tesla has properly implemented. I *believe* it works the same way on iOS as well, but less sure about that.

• Like x 1
  3. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Apparently a few major versions of iOS back the functionality was added to wake background problems on a BLE event. I don't know how solid this functionality is, how difficult it is write code that properly handles it.

4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

The above sentence feels above-average on the FUD scale. Bluetooth is a fairly well established standard that I don't expect to see unsupported within the next 10 years, or even longer. Especially once there are millions of vehicles on the road keyed to using it.

I see spots past there where it goes further downhill. :(

5. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

FAKE NEWS! :D

• Funny x 2