Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If these satellites last 5 to 7 years as the article suggests, then they would need to launch an additional 2 per day after the initial 4425 just to keep the constellation intact. Is this financially valid?? Environmentally friendly?
I'm not so much worried about the financial aspects of it but environmentally it crossed my mind. That is going to be a whole lot of stuff flying around and then becoming just dead "junk" flying around soon after. I've heard about a possible future of us becoming landlocked onto this planet because of too much junk flying around for us to safely leave the planet. This seems like it puts us dangerously close to that scenario.

The satellites weigh about 400kg each. Payload to LEO on F9 is 22,800kg. There are around 50 satellites per orbital plane, and (coincidence? I think not!) they can launch all of them at once! (Spreading out the satellites in an orbit is easy, but changing planes is hard.) It's still a launch every couple of weeks, but then that's what was said originally too, it's no surprise.

In environmental terms, each F9 launch uses about 120,000 kg of RP1. Contrast this to a Boeing 747 which holds around 60,000 liters of Jet-A1, which is about 50,000 kg, and the fuels are fairly similar. A launch every couple of weeks won't move the needle very much.

I'm not so much worried about the financial aspects of it but environmentally it crossed my mind. That is going to be a whole lot of stuff flying around and then becoming just dead "junk" flying around soon after. I've heard about a possible future of us becoming landlocked onto this planet because of too much junk flying around for us to safely leave the planet. This seems like it puts us dangerously close to that scenario.
"Space is very big." -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The real problem is something big being broken into lots of little pieces, not the ones that are big, and under control.

SpaceX should to build a mini satellite that grabs dead satellite and deorbits it.

Not a new concept. It hasn't been implemented yet because its not cost effective. Most LEOs deorbit themselves passively in 25 years or less (its regulated), and there's not enough of a traffic jam in GEO to warrant the need.

With the various mega-constellations in proposal now, the benefit may eventually be worth the cost. Stay tuned. o_O

Reactions: Pdub2015
4000 satellites?!!! Getting crowded up there!

6a00d8341bf67c53ef0147e27d6f8a970b-pi

For people concerned about crowding, keep in mind that in low earth orbit there are about 800 million sq miles at any given altitude.

Remember also: With speed of 7 km/s a lot of space is needed.

Not a new concept. It hasn't been implemented yet because its not cost effective. Most LEOs deorbit themselves passively in 25 years or less (its regulated), and there's not enough of a traffic jam in GEO to warrant the need.

With the various mega-constellations in proposal now, the benefit may eventually be worth the cost. Stay tuned. o_O

25 years is reasonable for 500 km orbit. I didn't find decay time for 1100 km orbit. I guess it is about 100000 years.

Why so defensive? The Connect America Fund is a grant program ... aka free government money. Tesla/SpaceX/Solarcity are all built on top of generous direct and indirect subsidies, tax abatements, development contracts, etc. For an example, I believe the SpaceX dragon spacecraft is completely funded by NASA, and SpaceX gets to use it for commercial use. I'm not complaining - god knows ULA has extracted WAY WAY more money from the Air Force than SpaceX probably ever will. It isn't a knock against Elon, just an observation.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
As soon as the fossil fuel industry drops the $5.3 Trillion a year it receives in subsidies, I'm sure Elon will be happy to do without subsidies.

Why would he? This isn't some cosmic fairness thing. It's just dealing with the regulatory and government environment you are in. It isn't as if Elon sets government policy. If the subsidies are there to be had, then you'd be a stupid business person to not take advantage of them, assuming they line up with your goals.

It doesn't have to be said, because it's not true, given that Tesla paid off the DOE loan so early. It would have made more financial sense to pay it off later.

If you want government subsidies, don't start an electric car company. The playing field is overwhelmingly tilted against you!
In Elon's defense, he didn't actually start an electric car company. But he sure has grown one.
Robin

Reactions: jkn and MitchMitch
Not sure if anyone has been following this but the success of SpaceX reusable rockets could make this a reality.
Here is one article
Elon Musk's SpaceX to send the first of its 4,425 super-fast internet satellites into space in 2019

Could be strategic for Tesla providing fast and secure broadband service worldwide. All Tesla vehicles, semis, Powerwalls, Powerpacks, and browsers could all be connected providing a great service to customers.
Wireless energy transfer... I'm going to start selling tinfoil hats...