Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of the problem is that Tesla isn't really obligated to fix the issue. They've given a prescriptive solution, which is set the car to low for heavy acceleration. People don't like that answer and continue to accelerate hard in normal, but the truth is even in low a P100D with ludicrous will eventually make the shafts start shuddering. Under warranty they seem to be willing to replace them if they shudder on low suspension settings, but will typically rebuff the customer in they insist on keeping it at normal.

The real question is if it's simply an annoyance or if there's an actual safety issue with the CV joints failing eventually.

I've owned some pretty high end cars with known recurring problems that were never taken care of. BMWs were notorious for plastic radiator, expansion tank or water pump failures leading to breakdowns. Covered under warranty of course, but typically occurring right outside warranty. My X5M and X6M ended up getting a driveshaft recall because people were experiencing complete shaft failure at speed on the highway, destroying the engine at best or sending a spinning chunk of metal down the freeway at worst. BMW first started "inspecting" the driveshaft for problems, with people reporting failures days after an inspection came back clean. Eventually they extended the warranty to 10yr/100mi on the driveshaft, but that's pretty worthless if your driveshaft ended up through somebody's windshield. Finally, they issued a recall, but if I remember right the process took years and that was catastrophic failure, not noise.

They say it's not safety related because at this point there's really no evidence that it is. Even if the CV joint eventually broke it wouldn't really be a safety issue unless it could come loose.

I'd love for Tesla to fix it, assuming there's a fix to be had, but I don't have much faith that they will. I think the only real hope would be getting it escalated to engineering if it's something Elon would even respond to.

I'd settle for an extended warranty at this point, roll them into the battery/drive unit warranty.

My half shafts and jackshaft were replaced a few months back. The vibration/shudder has returned and actually seems worse than before. The vibration is pretty strong, even with the suspension set to low.

At my last SC visit, the advisor said Tesla is aware of the issue and is working on redesigned parts. It's identical to what I was told a year ago when I first brought up the issue. I think a fix is coming, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

My half shafts and jackshaft were replaced a few months back. The vibration/shudder has returned and actually seems worse than before. The vibration is pretty strong, even with the suspension set to low.

At my last SC visit, the advisor said Tesla is aware of the issue and is working on redesigned parts. It's identical to what I was told a year ago when I first brought up the issue. I think a fix is coming, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

I got a similar answer.

Brought in the car before the warranty expired. Was told to wait until a solution is here, otherwise they would just replace the same components over and over every few months.

So now I am over the warranty mileage and hope to get the 'goodwill' replacement. We shall see ...

I got a similar answer.

Brought in the car before the warranty expired. Was told to wait until a solution is here, otherwise they would just replace the same components over and over every few months.

So now I am over the warranty mileage and hope to get the 'goodwill' replacement. We shall see ...

I was at the service centre the other week and talked to the manager about it. He said that they are busy with a redesign. Since my warranty is almost expired too I asked him about that. Since I complained about it during the warranty period, they made a note in the file and it will be replaced under warranty as soon as redisgned shaft is available - even if I crossed the warranty threshold.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP and Tdreamer
I was at the service centre the other week and talked to the manager about it. He said that they are busy with a redesign. Since my warranty is almost expired too I asked him about that. Since I complained about it during the warranty period, they made a note in the file and it will be replaced under warranty as soon as redisgned shaft is available - even if I crossed the warranty threshold.

I was told the same thing a year ago, and I had them replaced once out of warranty so far. They offered to replace them again out of warranty but I said to wait until there is a new part number, they were just going to replace the same parts as last time.

if you guys barrage Elon with tweets, make sure to throw in the "coming soon redesigned screen" that is supposed to fix the yellow lines on the screen issue...
You could also throw in the eternally out of stock tow upgrade if you'd like. lol...

I was in the camp that a fix was just around the corner. I now doubt that, I think that we have to all live with the issue. If Model X is updated it will likely not have the problem. Those of us with a current Model X will never see a fix!

PS: I've had 2 half shaft replacements and the problem is worst that ever on my 90D.

I was in the camp that a fix was just around the corner. I now doubt that, I think that we have to all live with the issue. If Model X is updated it will likely not have the problem. Those of us with a current Model X will never see a fix!

PS: I've had 2 half shaft replacements and the problem is worst that ever on my 90D.

The good news is that a fix IS around the corner. The bad news is that I heard in terms of priority, it goes fix for yellow MCU lines, FSD, dashcam for AP2+, Sentry mode for all EAP cars, and of course the alloy required for the new part from Mars. Don’t worry, they’ll totally goodwill it when it’s ready.

• Funny
Reactions: VikH