Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service responded to my email query about this recent rumor of a solution and the reply was that it is a rumor but that they would be reaching out once a final solution is available.
When people mention Service Centers, it's best to mention which one, as they are of varying competence. Anyhow, this is classic Tesla, and you get different answers from different places. This said, this obviously is not a rumor, as one of the largest SCs stated they already had a permanent fix to the problem, and installed it on a couple of cars these past two weeks.

When people mention Service Centers, it's best to mention which one, as they are of varying competence. Anyhow, this is classic Tesla, and you get different answers from different places. This said, this obviously is not a rumor, as one of the largest SCs stated they already had a permanent fix to the problem, and installed it on a couple of cars these past two weeks.
Agreed. Just put this out there. The reply came from the service office, not a particular center.

I spoke with Raleigh SC today and asked them whether they were aware of the revised part and fix for shudder. Mine has gotten worse in addition to a creaking suspension when I turn the wheel. I mentioned that several other service centers seem to know of new part revision and fix. The adviser stated that the shudder occurs on all X's because that is the way the car is designed, and they can do nothing until they receive an email from Tesla Engineering Department on remedying the issue. He said they would not even call another Service Center to inquire. I may stop in to see if anyone in the parts department knows any more.

The solution for the creaking noise was to get the upper control arms replaced. Fixed the noise while steering but not the shudder (of course). This was at the service center Orlando and we had to pay for it since it was past 50k miles...
@Helmuth
I have been quite nervous about the actual price of parts, since up to now my bills either say goodwill or similar. Do you mind giving us an idea what the upper control arms actually cost out of warranty?
I'm near 42k miles, and will pass 50k this year.

Thanks
-TechVP

I'm the classic case no-shudder @LOW, and shudder @very high (which happens only at a few places with high curb geo-fenced).
@44k miles and debating if I want to mess with an other-wise fine running car before my 50k miles
I use Fremont SC so it should be OK.
old |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.12.1.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Is it for parts AND labor ?

Yes! That’s for parts and labor...

65B9E77D-00F2-4687-965E-85C8B4B2531F.jpeg

Update on the dreaded shudder: according to my SC, now there is a new and permanent fix for the problem. Finally, they figured out a new design.
. Oh! The SC said so. Well then, & same part #.. I wonder if I had a thousand bucks from every SC that has said that over the past two years if we could buy a model X with the proceeds.

Last edited: