Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the solution B8000CA1-5735-4D7F-B81D-3DEB71313776.jpeg86FD3951-C7BE-4084-ADBA-8CC536AF5A7F.jpeg55B6ABC7-5723-4497-A5C5-1278B73BBDA5.jpeg86FD3951-C7BE-4084-ADBA-8CC536AF5A7F.jpeg

Update:

Work completed. Confirmed that I got the new Revision D half shafts (no mention of motor mount). The shudder is gone. I have my car set to standard height with automatic lowering above 40mph. Hopefully this is the true long term fix.

View attachment 410670

Did your service center have any commentary or opinions on whether these would likely fix the issue perm?

Okay. What the *sugar*. I switched from my stock 20” slipstreams with lots of shudder in low to 22” after markets with 0 shudder in low. There is slight shudder in standard. Did changing the wheel dynamics reduce the shudder or do I have loose foam in my stock slips?

I switched from my stock 20” slipstreams with lots of shudder in low to 22” after markets with 0 shudder in low. There is slight shudder in standard. Did changing the wheel dynamics reduce the shudder or do I have loose foam in my stock slips?

To clarify: Is your shudder while driving at speed? Or only during acceleration?

Loose foam will not affect the "Tesla Shudder"... but it will cause an imbalance, which will cause a 'shake' at speed.

While not an 'expert'... I do know a little about these things, and half-shaft/motor-mount shudder would not be affected by the kind of rim you have. Unless... the 20" slips' nuts were loose. :eek:

To clarify: Is your shudder while driving at speed? Or only during acceleration?

Loose foam will not affect the "Tesla Shudder"... but it will cause an imbalance, which will cause a 'shake' at speed.

While not an 'expert'... I do know a little about these things, and half-shaft/motor-mount shudder would not be affected by the kind of rim you have. Unless... the 20" slips' nuts were loose. :eek:

I only experienced shudder while accelerating. Your rationale makes sense, so likely not loose foam. Nuts were all on fairly tight when removing them. Weird.

So far, my X doesn't shudder under hard acceleration, but it randomly shudders for a few seconds and more often than not, under deceleration. I really can't figure out when it will happen, though it usually happens at least once or twice every trip. I only have 3700 miles on my 2018 and drive comparatively gently as most of my driving is low speed city driving. Glad to hear they may have a solution. It has only started happening these last couple of months, so I guess I will wait until it is more prevalent since I can't reproduce it for the SC.
It seems everybody else has it under hard acceleration, but would like to hear if anybody else has it like mine.

So far, my X doesn't shudder under hard acceleration, but it randomly shudders for a few seconds and more often than not, under deceleration. I really can't figure out when it will happen, though it usually happens at least once or twice every trip. I only have 3700 miles on my 2018 and drive comparatively gently as most of my driving is low speed city driving. Glad to hear they may have a solution. It has only started happening these last couple of months, so I guess I will wait until it is more prevalent since I can't reproduce it for the SC.
It seems everybody else has it under hard acceleration, but would like to hear if anybody else has it like mine.
Also, it doesn't matter what level my suspension is in when I hear it, but I regularly have it in standard level.

Is it shuddering under deceleration as you approach a stoplight? At least around here it is very common for the pavement approaching a light to be a little bit wavy, probably because of all the forces from cars braking. Keep an eye out and if that matches up with the randomness you might have found your cause. Otherwise you will probably have to find a way to recreate it and then go in to service.