Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone get clarification about the new motor mount? Is it needed for a permanent fix? I recently got the new revision D half shafts but wasn’t offered the new motor mount. Wondering if I should push to have the new motor mount too or if the new half shafts are “good enough” on their own.

Anyone get clarification about the new motor mount? Is it needed for a permanent fix? I recently got the new revision D half shafts but wasn’t offered the new motor mount. Wondering if I should push to have the new motor mount too or if the new half shafts are “good enough” on their own.

From what I heard, it was not available at the time when I brought in my car in May 2019.

Last week took my X in for service for shudder. A few days before the appointment, with 16.2 update, my X has experienced a slowdown. It doesn't accelerate as strong as it used to. The speed ramps up now, rather than hit you with launch. This has mitigated the shudder but I can't help but feel it sometimes.

Service center said it's normal and sent me back. I am kind of disappointed to be honest, especially now with the Raven refresh out there and my only 10 month old $120,000 car that now costs $105,000 brand new (with more range and better suspension).

you can't have the new motor mount if your motor is bigger , heavier, with induction motor vs the smaller more efficient permanent magnet motor. The mount, wheel bearing, suspension all are redesigned for the new motor accommodating the new size and dimension.

If I have a put a limb out there, I would say there won't be any fix for the old suspension as Tesla stopped manufacturing these older suspensions and just going to use up all the parts to support the old customers until their car gets old or traded in. or maybe some temporary fix that is gonna prevent it from shuddering for short period of time, and have customer lower the suspension always, with premature tire wear.

by the time few years go by, with range being 400+, more efficiency, new redesign, ... people wil likely upgrade , traded in, or buy some other car that is not a Tesla.

a deep thought-through about the logistics of these issues, made me decide to cancel a great deal on 2018 MX P100DL for like 95k and spend more money on a Raven 2019 MX P100DL instead for another 12k difference. since suspension, wear bearing and motor mount are such fundamental engineering change that is going to constantly challenged everyday throughout the lifetime of the car. if something is not engineered right then the problem will keep coming back.

I owned a 2016 model X and compared to the new raven refresh with updated suspension, I can say that the issue is fixed on the new car.

Reactions: Tdreamer
you can't have the new motor mount if your motor is bigger , heavier, with induction motor vs the smaller more efficient permanent magnet motor. The mount, wheel bearing, suspension all are redesigned for the new motor accommodating the new size and dimension.

That would be a good theory if it weren't for the fact that someone did get the new motor mount with the new Rev D. half shafts to fix the shudder problem on an old (non-Raven) Model X. I checked with my SC about the new motor mount parts and they confirmed it's a new revision but they said they are only replacing those in extreme cases and that my car should be fine with the new Rev D. half shafts.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 8.12.59 AM.png

That would be a good theory if it weren't for the fact that someone did get the new motor mount with the new Rev D. half shafts to fix the shudder problem on an old (non-Raven) Model X. I checked with my SC about the new motor mount parts and they confirmed it's a new revision but they said they are only replacing those in extreme cases and that my car should be fine with the new Rev D. half shafts.

View attachment 419865

there are also few posts of those who did get the revision-D shafts replaced, and still had shudder

what gives.

Pre-Raven cars with the older half shafts also have a shudder-free period after replacement, so it may be too soon to claim victory with either the D revisions (and motor mount) or the Raven upgrades without at least a few thousand miles of driving. Or maybe a dozen hard launches at various suspension heights? Wish I had documented the Time-To-Shudder on my replacement half shafts.

That being said, I'm hopeful. Praying, really, that this is truly fixed.

Going to call my SvC this week to inquire about the motor mount and revision D parts. Shudder is now clearly present even in Very Low, which is worrying.

Reactions: Michelx
Can someone please explain what type of shutter or from where this issue is coming from?

Every time I shift the car from parking to reverse or drive, and then shift back to drive or reverse, I hear crunchy shutter noises. In fact, one of my coworkers who owns another MX was really surprised to notice that the noise was weird. Hoping to get some advice. Thanks in advance help

Reactions: spectrum
Man, we're attracting all kinds of shudder here.

The shudder discussed in this thread is on Model X with strong acceleration around 30 MPH to 40 MPH. No shudder at very low speed, freeway speed, or when not accelerating. Lowering the suspension reduces the problem, but causes uneven tire wear. A new car, or one that has been repaired with new half shafts, usually will not exhibit shudder until used for a few thousand miles. This shudder totally ruins the Tesla quiet and smooth electric acceleration feeling, if nothing else.

Man, we're attracting all kinds of shudder here.

The shudder discussed in this thread is on Model X with strong acceleration around 30 MPH to 40 MPH. No shudder at very low speed, freeway speed, or when not accelerating. Lowering the suspension reduces the problem, but causes uneven tire wear. A new car, or one that has been repaired with new half shafts, usually will not exhibit shudder until used for a few thousand miles. This shudder totally ruins the Tesla quiet and smooth electric acceleration feeling, if nothing else.

I get the shudder immediately when accelerating hard. Car does not need to be at 30-40 mph.