Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please explain what type of shutter or from where this issue is coming from?

Every time I shift the car from parking to reverse or drive, and then shift back to drive or reverse, I hear crunchy shutter noises. In fact, one of my coworkers who owns another MX was really surprised to notice that the noise was weird. Hoping to get some advice. Thanks in advance help
I get the crunchy noises AND the shudder. Tesla greased the axle splines to fix the crunchy noises. Said they won’t fix the shudder. They said it’s normal.

They said it’s normal.

Normal = Something that is consistent from mile '1'
Not Normal = Something that takes thousands of miles (in most cases) to start happening, and gets worse with mileage.

Just a thought: If the shudder is "normal", they MUST then have built it in to the new Raven, right? If the Ravens DON'T shudder.... they should be sent to the Service Center! o_O

Sometimes cars have known faults that the manufacturer considers normal and will only fix if the customer makes a stink. TSBs are a common part of this. Now that there is a fix I would expect Tesla to repair it for people that ask, under warranty if it was reported while under warranty. That would be consistent with other manufacturers and the right thing to do.

Reactions: 4DXP and Michelx

Hey there. Yes for me it is the solution. Without having to set the suspension to "very low" when you are driving. These lowering brackets are adjustable so you can set your car to be in the factory "very low" position when having it in "low". When you set it to "very low" after having these brackets installed you will get "Lambo mode" which is awesome but needs caution with speed bumps. The shudder is gone and I am finally enjoying my car.
As to warranty. They would have to prove that something breaks because of the lowering brackets which is unlikely. I broke my rear drive unit recently. Tesla service replaced it without any remarks. They surely must have noticed the metal lowering brackets compared to the standard plastic ones but you never know.

Another Dutch forum member got these installed too and is very happy now and confirms loosing the shudder.

my other initial post:
Acceleration Shudder

• Helpful
Reactions: jmcmill
.....snip.... Another Dutch forum member got these installed too and is very happy now and confirms loosing the shudder.

my other initial post:
Acceleration Shudder
Big deal - ours took over a year for our X to shudder. It turns on how hard, & how often you hit it ... as well as suspension position when you do this. I can't waid for the fix that says, "stop hitting it hard".
LOL

I get the crunchy noises AND the shudder. Tesla greased the axle splines to fix the crunchy noises. Said they won’t fix the shudder. They said it’s normal.
I had both the shudder and crunchy noises as well, last year they told me not to accelerate with the suspension in high settings :rolleyes:. This time as I saw the new part numbers on this thread and I am nearing 50000 miles I brought it in again, made the service tech accelerate and confirm the shutter on normal suspension height. They replaced the half shafts...
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR(1030632-00-A) 1.0
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) 1.0
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D) 1.0

Maybe reach out again or try a different service center....

I had both the shudder and crunchy noises as well, last year they told me not to accelerate with the suspension in high settings :rolleyes:. This time as I saw the new part numbers on this thread and I am nearing 50000 miles I brought it in again, made the service tech accelerate and confirm the shutter on normal suspension height. They replaced the half shafts...
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D) 1.0
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D) 1.0

Maybe reach out again or try a different service center....
Thanks for this. I took mine in for a few items and this being one of them. I sent these part numbers along. They were aware of a TSB regarding the shudder issue and they had the needed parts in stock and it should be done tomorrow. They said it takes about 3 hours to complete the job. I’ll report back when I get it.

Reactions: Michelx
2C86D76F-BE92-467A-8E27-E31E5117B6C4.jpeg

Got about 29K mi on my car. Took my car in for tire replacement and airbag recall and had them take a look at my front ‘shudder’ problem again, which they claimed last time was ‘normal’ with suggested fix to leave it on low suspension. I demonstrated it to the tech on ‘standard’ suspension setting and referenced the parts mentioned in this thread as a potential fix. This time, they replaced the half shafts and jack shaft as well, seems like the same ‘D-rev’ as mentioned before. Shudder gone so far!!! We will see how long this lasts. I mentioned a motor mount as another possibility, but looks like it either wasn’t necessary or not part of the routine fix yet. This is for Model S btw, so not just a Model X issue...

Here are the parts:
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity HALFSHAFT, FR, LH, MODEL S HPDM(1030615-00-D) 1.0
Correction: Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity HALFSHAFT, FR, RH, MODEL S HPDM(1030616-00-D) 1.0
Correction: Jackshaft Assembly - Front (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

Good write up on the process... question I have is I have Mar 19 build, the default setting for suspension is low...I do not get the shudder, if I put it in standard I can feel a slight shudder but not nearly as bad as an S loaner I had.

There have been so many comments on Tesla creating the new “standard” as “low” to minimize shudder and because the car is set to low it was aligned for this setting to minimize tire wear. I have no clue what is right, after reading the above service manual for the shudder it has the techs test the vehicle in standard suspension mode when they complete the process. This means, at least in my opinion, the original design was to have the vehicles in standard settings.