Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had this done at the Burbank service center. They really did not want to make the fix, it took two appointments and arguing with the manager to get it done. They claimed I wasn't supposed to have the service bulletin and that no car coming through their SC has needed it yet.

Finally they agreed to follow the bulletin, and replaced the clevis mount and both half shafts. As others reported, it's like a new car. My shudder is gone.

You may have to argue a bit to get the fix made, but it's well worth taking the time IMO.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hello everyone. We ordered a 2016 Model X 75D from Tesla.com and will take delivery within the next week or so at the Austin Service Center. It will be our second Tesla with our first being a 2013 Model S 85. My questions to you guys are as follows:

1. What is the best way to check if we have this shutter on our new (to us) MX? The one I'm picking up is 75D with 22" wheels in case that matters.

2. I downloaded the TSB in case I have to have it done on our MX. After reading it, I think I might already have this shutter on my MS because when I floor it from 0 mph or 20/30 mph, most of the time I feel a noticeable vibration. I'd say probably 90%+ of the time, actually. Has anybody here had any experience with this shutter on a 2013 MS? (It has 21" wheels in case that matters.)

TIA.

Martin

1. What is the best way to check if we have this shutter on our new (to us) MX? The one I'm picking up is 75D with 22" wheels in case that matters.

Test drive it.

2. I downloaded the TSB in case I have to have it done on our MX. After reading it, I think I might already have this shutter on my MS because when I floor it from 0 mph or 20/30 mph, most of the time I feel a noticeable vibration. I'd say probably 90%+ of the time, actually. Has anybody here had any experience with this shutter on a 2013 MS? (It has 21" wheels in case that matters.)

The TSB is listed as only for 2014-2019 cars, so it shouldn't apply to your 2013. (Though it could have a similar issue that would likely require different parts.)

So car is currently in getting the fix completed. I had a prior appt where they agreed to do both halfshafts and clivus mount, but when I went to pick up only halfshafts were done. Shudder was remarkably better but still present at high load. To be honest very mild. But the super type a force within me drove me to make another appointment to go for the clivus mount repair.

After a day of working on my car today, I get a call. The tech sounds tired. A little exacerbated. I guess the repair entails pulling out part of the battery pack and takes quite a bit of time. Could be why certain service centers may be apprehensive to complete the full service bulletin and instead tell us that the revised halfshafts alone should be enough. Will update after repair is complete.

I guess the repair entails pulling out part of the battery pack and takes quite a bit of time. Could be why certain service centers may be apprehensive to complete the full service bulletin and instead tell us that the revised halfshafts alone should be enough. Will update after repair is complete.

The TSB says that the repair only takes 2.1 hours for the Model X, and it doesn't list doing anything with/to the HV battery. (They do have to open up the frunk to disconnect the 12v battery.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH
Follow up on my X TSB Halfshaft + Clevis mount replacement. Received the MX on 9/10/19, Tuesday afternoon. Car was ready Monday, and TSB took about 1.5 days to complete... based on a busy Labor Day overflow.

As others have reported, drives well. Tested heavy acceleration w/ Normal and High suspension. I can feel the smallest shudder on high, with heavy acceleration -- obviously an extreme (not an optimal) test situation.
With a proper test and suspension on normal or low & its smooth as butter, day 1 experience. Impressive at 49k miles ;-)

Favorable experience throughout. A+ to Portland OR Service Center.
..... although I did regret returning the loaner MX90P w/ 22" rims back. The rims with Scorpion tires are a blast!

-TechVP

Reactions: jgrgnt
I've got the sudder TSB done a week or so ago, but after that service AC, or some other fan in that area, started rattling. Took it back - tech diagnosis: normal noise. Fought to be looked at as the noise was not present before the shudder service. Work order lists "isolated AC lines" but the noise is still there, a lot quieter than after the shudder appointment but still present.

I'm getting paranoid and afraid to take car to the service - they fix one thing and break another.....

Reactions: FUSKED
Test drive it.

The TSB is listed as only for 2014-2019 cars, so it shouldn't apply to your 2013. (Though it could have a similar issue that would likely require different parts.)

Are there any driving conditions that would make the shutter very noticeable to the untrained eye (mine)? Should I floor it from standstill, or while going, say, 20 mph?

Thanks for catching that the TSB is for 2014+ vehicles. I missed that.

Are there any driving conditions that would make the shutter very noticeable to the untrained eye (mine)? Should I floor it from standstill, or while going, say, 20 mph?

After the shudder TSB is completed what is the default suspension setting? I took delivery of my X 3/18 and it’s default is low, to minimize shudder. I think the tires are cambered for low for normal wear as well. Curious after the tsb fix, I want to run in normal suspension with no adverse affects on tire wear and no shudder

On mine I notice when accilerating onto a highway. From almost zero. Don't need the pedal to the metal on mine. But if I do it gets stronger. A very noticeable vibration in the car.

Reactions: mrod1975

Just do a fast acceleration from a standstill and if it feels like the wheels are unbalanced then it is shuddering. On ours, it was worst in the 40-60mph range. But if it needs the fix, you won't need to second guess, you'll know it immediately.

Reactions: mrod1975
This is the weirdest of the weird problem.

I had the problem at about 11,000 miles and put my X60D in the shop. They contacted engineering and were told it was a design problem with no immediate solution known; please wait...

CAlled me at about 19,000 miles and offered new design 1/2shafts. Took it and they installed. No more shudder!

At 30,000 miles shudder came back. Problem same as before.

Had an accident at 40,1000 and whole front was replaced. Still have shudder. Will be interesting if I can get the next generation of fixes.

This is how broken the Tesla service model is right now...

We have been waiting for half-shafts after our last appointment (scheduled 3 week in advance) and they NEVER ORDERED THE PARTS!

Call the service center, press “4” for parts. Voicemail says email [email protected] for a response.

Guess what...? This is beyond laughable at this point.

613DF48C-B103-467B-A8D7-E79CC0CAE056.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: TJtv
This is how broken the Tesla service model is right now...

We have been waiting for half-shafts after our last appointment (scheduled 3 week in advance) and they NEVER ORDERED THE PARTS!

Call the service center, press “4” for parts. Voicemail says email [email protected] for a response.

Guess what...? This is beyond laughable at this point.

View attachment 454216

Have you tried calling the phone number and pretending your vehicle is in for service currently? This usually gets you to someone at the SC.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
Have you tried calling the phone number and pretending your vehicle is in for service currently? This usually gets you to someone at the SC.

Yeah, that’s typically been the trick. The Dublin SC is so overworked that they rarely answer anymore.

Update: They still don’t answer anymore. It’s ALSO the option for parts availability “to check on a vehicle currently in service, or for parts availability”

Last edited: