Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has me questioning the common theory that this is torque related. 45k miles on the stock tires makes me think you babied the car, since I replaced stock at 12k and my 2nd set (Continental DWS06) of rears at 27k (total miles) and fronts at 35k. I'm looking due for rears again fairly soon with ~40k on the odo.

To have gone through 3 sets of axles and only 1 set of tires makes it sound like something other than high torque.
My rear tires are at 7/32 at 30k and will absolutely make it to 45k. I could stretch the fronts to 45k but they would be bald. I've had the shudder since 4k or so. I bought the 90D instead of the 75D at the time just to get the additional power, and I use it.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Interestingly enough, just installed 2020.28.2 which decreased the maximum speed and height of the high and very high suspension settings.
That's a really interesting definition of 'improvements' in the release notes.

Edit: this probably sounds snarkier than it actually is. This change was overdue, it should have never had this drive height allowed at any sort of high speeds or power levels. As we all know the parts weren't equipped to handle it.

Shudder is caused because drive unit is not in the same horizontal plane as the wheel axle. In very low, they are aligned but in other ride heights they are not. It is a design issue and don't know how Tesla would fix this. It is getting very annoying for me and feel like car will fall apart. I am into 3rd round of half shaft and latest clevis mount. Unless as a Tesla group we do something (like class action lawsuit) I don't see it would be fixed. Thoughts?

Shudder is caused because drive unit is not in the same horizontal plane as the wheel axle. In very low, they are aligned but in other ride heights they are not. It is a design issue and don't know how Tesla would fix this. It is getting very annoying for me and feel like car will fall apart. I am into 3rd round of half shaft and latest clevis mount. Unless as a Tesla group we do something (like class action lawsuit) I don't see it would be fixed. Thoughts?

Is the Portland Tesla Service Center trying to correct this issue for you or are you getting a lot of push back?.

I have been holding off on ordering a new Tesla because of this issue and I really do not want to battle them over it.

And a class action lawsuit will never happen.

Is the Portland Tesla Service Center trying to correct this issue for you or are you getting a lot of push back?.

I have been holding off on ordering a new Tesla because of this issue and I really do not want to battle them over it.

IMO if they didn't fix it in the Raven update then it's unlikely to be fixed at all. It's just been so long. One of the original shudder threads will be celebrating its 4 year birthday next week. I guess we can all look forward to singing Happy Birthday on the 23rd.

I was told by service center (s) including Fremont Service center that I have the latest service bulletin items installed and hence won't change parts again even though the problem (shudder) persists even in low setting. This is unacceptable.

I recently purchased a 2017 100D with 80k miles (with warranty to 100k miles). It had the shudder problem on delivery. It was strongly present in the Standard suspension setting, and mildly present in Low. I took it in to the SC after purchasing to address this (and a few other issues). They ended up replacing the "LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts" with no issues. Seems to have solved the problem, even at Standard height. However, based on this discussion it's not clear this will last...

I recently purchased a 2017 100D with 80k miles (with warranty to 100k miles). It had the shudder problem on delivery. It was strongly present in the Standard suspension setting, and mildly present in Low. I took it in to the SC after purchasing to address this (and a few other issues). They ended up replacing the "LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts" with no issues. Seems to have solved the problem, even at Standard height. However, based on this discussion it's not clear this will last...

There are two separate issues here since Ravens have different suspension components and half shafts than non-Ravens. For non-Ravens there is a TSB (which you seem to have received). Most folks say that the TSB fixes the issue for non-Ravens. I run in Low all the time and have not had shudder since they did the TSB.

That sounds like the TSB fix. Don't keep running it in Standard, or it's likely the problem will come back.

Interestingly enough, just installed 2020.28.2 which decreased the maximum speed and height of the high and very high suspension settings.
Speed trigger was 45, 35mph, now 25, 15mph to move from Very High to High to Standard. I do not have this update yet. What does the new manual say for clearance? Is there an absolute height change from 9”, 8”/7”? (listed in Specification tables)

Which tires did you take delivery with? 45k miles on a set? That’s a dream!! Im running summer 22” Pirelli came with delivery, and winters Bridgestone Blizzak 20s. It will be a long time before I burn through the two. 12k total miles, 3k on the summers and 9k on the winters. Pandemic pretty much had the PMX parked in the garage. It’s in for the shudder right now, hoping for some good news on replacement parts.
I had the Contis so I ordered another set: Continental CrossContact LX Sport from TireRack

That has me questioning the common theory that this is torque related. 45k miles on the stock tires makes me think you babied the car, since I replaced stock at 12k and my 2nd set (Continental DWS06) of rears at 27k (total miles) and fronts at 35k. I'm looking due for rears again fairly soon with ~40k on the odo.

To have gone through 3 sets of axles and only 1 set of tires makes it sound like something other than high torque.
This car has been tracked about 4 or 5 times and sees several launches per drive (not usually a ludicrous+ launch though just regular ludicrous)

Two of the track days were drag-races and the remainder were @ NCCAR.

Shudder appeared within the first 5k miles and the repair after the TSB with the Clevis mount was done twice (it was a two-part job when mine was done [if the customer is still complaining then do the rest of this])

Within the last couple 1000 miles (COVID and scheduling at Tyco) it appeared there was severe cupping on the rear tires to the point where the car would wobble at low speeds and a slight vibration could be felt at highway speeds. It is currently in from Friday to Tuesday to get the wheels mounted and balanced and the car aligned (and some other miscellaneous things like new 3M tape for the falcon bump-stops and complaints of noise on the other end of Bluetooth calls)

not sure why you got a thumbs down for that, the car really did get it's stilts clipped (was going to say wings but the car has those too)

Not sure either, I don't bother paying attention to disagrees anymore. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get to see if the suspension changes or the clevis TSB have any lasting impact, since it sounds like their going to total my X after being rear-ended.

Not sure either, I don't bother paying attention to disagrees anymore. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get to see if the suspension changes or the clevis TSB have any lasting impact, since it sounds like their going to total my X after being rear-ended.
Aw man, sorry about that that hopefully a replacement is easy to come by, I've seen how cheap some insurance companies can get.

So far the TSB fix has been perfect. The X drives like the one did on my test drive, effortless and smooth. There was a short quiz from the service center after I scheduled to make certain I was running the car in Low, and that was the only pushback.
Sorry to say, TSB won't last for long. Shudder will come back. It is a design issue and can be fixed only if drive units move with the suspension height adjustment so that the drive shaft and drive unit all in same horizontal plane