Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 x 100D and have shudder at standard height but no where as bad on low. Tbh my wife and I drive on chill mode and impossible to have it happen on chill - lol.

My car out of warranty - assume they are not fixing these out of warranty at no charge or are they due to safety?

2017 x 100D and have shudder at standard height but no where as bad on low. Tbh my wife and I drive on chill mode and impossible to have it happen on chill - lol.

My car out of warranty - assume they are not fixing these out of warranty at no charge or are they due to safety?
This is an NVH issue. Any safety argument seems rather weak to me. They require a bit of a nudge to fix it even under warranty. I would not expect a fix out of warranty for free. Of course I could be wrong, you won't know until you ask. So I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Had the dreaded shudder fixed on my 2018 100D MX in August 2019 at about 13,00 miles. Shudder was totally gone at all height settings on acceleration. I've continued to keep it in low setting because the car suspension settings automatically puts it there. I recently changed it to Standard height for a softer ride. Now at 28,000 miles. Have tried accelerating and the shudder is back at standard not in low. Not quite sure what to do at this point. Suggestions?

unfortunately these cars need to be driven in Low always. See if Tesla will replace your half shafts, then keep it in Low.

Reactions: BM3B and gavine
Had the dreaded shudder fixed on my 2018 100D MX in August 2019 at about 13,00 miles. Shudder was totally gone at all height settings on acceleration. I've continued to keep it in low setting because the car suspension settings automatically puts it there. I recently changed it to Standard height for a softer ride. Now at 28,000 miles. Have tried accelerating and the shudder is back at standard not in low. Not quite sure what to do at this point. Suggestions?
The only "suggestion" would be to keep complaining about it and documenting it when you bring the car in for service. Tesla has tried to fix it, but each attempt (newly designed half-shafts, new motor mounts, etc) have only extended the time before the shudder returns. Their "software" fix was just to limit performance cars from using full torque when the car was in "standard" or "high" suspension heights. All of these fixes aren't really permanent.

Late 2019 MX here with 14k miles and the grinding noise is to the point of needing attention. The nearest Service Center is 2.5 hour drive and Mobile repair says they can't fix it.

What happened to loaner vehicles? I thought that was a thing that Tesla would swap out cars and pick up the broken one.

Has anyone driven these until they break? I might, and then call roadside assistance.

Late 2019 MX here with 14k miles and the grinding noise is to the point of needing attention. The nearest Service Center is 2.5 hour drive and Mobile repair says they can't fix it.

What happened to loaner vehicles? I thought that was a thing that Tesla would swap out cars and pick up the broken one.

Has anyone driven these until they break? I might, and then call roadside assistance.
Which grinding noise? This thread is about a shudder that appears if you run the car on Normal suspension height instead of Low, typically worst around 35 MPH and under heavy acceleration. It's a noise/vibration issue rather than one that will leave you stranded. I drove for 25k miles with the issue before there were updated parts available, no problems except for being annoyed by it. I would be very surprised if this fault disables the car within any reasonable number of miles. If you're talking about a different noise then you should probably start your own thread or find a relevant one to get the best answers.

AFAIK Tesla stopped flatbedding out swap-out loaners years ago. If you're that far from the nearest SC they should give you a loaner once you drive in and drop off the car. After you schedule service in the app, call the service center and hit the option to talk with someone about a car in service about your distance and need for a loaner. I've done this for my service visits and had absolutely zero issues getting a loaner, though half the time it's an S rather than an X. The sad part is that the car has been in service enough for 'half the time' to be a reasonable measure. I'm thinking of picking up the ESA before the warranty expires in July, because that's $100/month or so worth of peace of mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
The shudder is related to the grinding. Mine at 50mph on acceleration will be more of a grinding noise when in normal suspension setting and be gone on "Low". I get a shudder too but I'm not concerned with it since It's tolerable.

I'm considering calling road side assistance to come get it if loaners were eliminated since that was part of my buying decision.

Good luck with it, genuinely. Last time I tried that in 2018 they told me it was a mile limit (60 miles?) and $$$/mile after that. Not surprised, the previous policy was beyond generous. I'm surprised it was part of your buying decision since I thought it was gone some time around 2018.

My MX shudder has been repaired 3 time now:
1st time at 50.000 km (30k miles) - warranty
2nd time early this year at 74.000 km (46k miles) - warranty (Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty).
3rd time last week at 90.000 km (56k miles) - car is out of warranty for kms, but got it as a 'christmas present' (invoice says: "Goodwill - Service").
I did request 'warranty treatment' when I took the car there, referring to the 'quick return' of the issue, and the obvious 'design flaw' that causes this.

I'm being very careful now only to 'floor it' when in Very Low - and keep the car in 'Chill' otherwise.

Reactions: DriverOne
My MX shudder has been repaired 3 time now:
1st time at 50.000 km (30k miles) - warranty
2nd time early this year at 74.000 km (46k miles) - warranty (Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty).
3rd time last week at 90.000 km (56k miles) - car is out of warranty for kms, but got it as a 'christmas present' (invoice says: "Goodwill - Service").
I did request 'warranty treatment' when I took the car there, referring to the 'quick return' of the issue, and the obvious 'design flaw' that causes this.

I'm being very careful now only to 'floor it' when in Very Low - and keep the car in 'Chill' otherwise.
Is yours Performance or not?

bumping this one back up:

i have found my X does have the shudder issue under hard acceleration. made a service appt at the local Tesla SC and they want to charge me $87.50 for a diagnostic fee to assess this. has anyone else been charged this fee to have this shudder assessed?

bumping this one back up:

i have found my X does have the shudder issue under hard acceleration. made a service appt at the local Tesla SC and they want to charge me $87.50 for a diagnostic fee to assess this. has anyone else been charged this fee to have this shudder assessed?

No, assuming you are under factory warranty. I have had my half shafts replaced 3 times and did not have any charges. I think it is their standard procedure to assess a diagnostic fee.

Honestly, I think the diag fee is a tactic they use to discourage people from making warranty claims and coming into Service. Tesla will do anything to keep you away from their Service Centers. They even said so much on the last earnings call -

[Jerome Guillen -- President, Automotive Division] Yes. Well, as far as best service, no service. So we spent a lot of efforts trying to improve the quality and the reliability of our cars. In the last two years, the frequency of service visits are reduced by one-third. So people have to -- customers have to come less frequently in service, which is really the goal, no service...

I just took my X in to have several little things looked at. They quoted me $250, in case warranty did not cover the items. Ended up doing everything under warranty and there was no charge.

Most all repair shops now quote an estimated charge in case warranty does not cover the requested service. When it was free, too many people took in their cars to see what free stuff they could get done, and if warranty did not cover it, declined the repair. Huge waste of time for the service centers. Also would abuse by asking for free diagnosis, then taking it to a cheaper place, knowing what was needed.

• Disagree
Reactions: VikH
When it was free, too many people took in their cars to see what free stuff they could get done, and if warranty did not cover it, declined the repair. Huge waste of time for the service centers. Also would abuse by asking for free diagnosis, then taking it to a cheaper place, knowing what was needed.

Huh? What free stuff am I getting with wind noise and acceleration shudder? Also, please name one luxury brand manufacturer that charges a diagnostic fee for warranty items when the car is under factory warranty.

Also, please name one luxury brand manufacturer that charges a diagnostic fee for warranty items when the car is under factory warranty.

BMW does. My i3 was under factory warranty. I told the dealer what was wrong (charge port wouldn't lock so it wouldn't DC fast charge). They said there would be a $150 diagnostic fee no matter what.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC