Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will Tesla even perform this TSB on out-of-warrany cars? My car is now 6 months past warranty, but has had the half shafts done 2 times in the past 2 years.
I did my first half shafts 30 k miles past warranty for free. Not sure if they are required to do it but they did since I waited for a “real” fix.. turns out it made it worse. I scheduled an appointment and listed out the parts that are new and how it fits the SB. I even crawled under the car to assess my clevis assembly and noticed even after the fix last time, it still is the old style hex bolt so not sure if it was even changed out last visit per the 2019 SB.

Attachments

• 8DF7EC89-8167-4BF5-B60E-1E523DBF7934.jpeg
    8DF7EC89-8167-4BF5-B60E-1E523DBF7934.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 134
Sorry to break your bubble, but these parts won't fix the issue. I had them installed on my 2016 P90DL on December 6, 2019 and the shudder/growl problem has returned again...

Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-H)
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D)
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D)
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
It seems like for some, the problem is gone & others like yourself have seen it return. I'm not sure anybody at this point can predict what will happen. Only that if we base what could happen by all the people who have taken time to share their experience, it's very likely this problem is fixed. For how long, nobody knows. I don't know what I'm having for dinner tonight so not worried about my car in a year....yet :)

Just a reminder: if you reported an issue under warranty and it returned while under warranty, or even if returned OUT of warranty, feel free to request an out of warranty repair--at their expense. The TSB confirms a product-wide defect--to charge for this repair when an issue was reported under warranty is UNsat. Even if fixed, Tesla KNOWS the "fix" was insufficient as is evidenced by the TSB.

Stick to your guns: do NOT pay for the TSB out of warranty . . . .

Just a reminder: if you reported an issue under warranty and it returned while under warranty, or even if returned OUT of warranty, feel free to request an out of warranty repair--at their expense. The TSB confirms a product-wide defect--to charge for this repair when an issue was reported under warranty is UNsat. Even if fixed, Tesla KNOWS the "fix" was insufficient as is evidenced by the TSB.

Stick to your guns: do NOT pay for the TSB out of warranty . . . .
I get my car back tmr. That’s exactly my thought. I reported the issue while under warranty and waited.
They didn’t even give me an estimate, so will see if I have to fight a battle tmr when I pick it up.

Does anybody know if they'll honor the TSB even if the car is out of warranty? I am thinking of buying a used X P90DL & having it shipped. If I notice the shudder, which is highly likely I will, I'd like to bring it in for a free repair. And I guess my follow-up question is if they don't do the repair, what'd it cost me out-of-pocket? Hoping no more than $2K. But honestly if the issue is pretty much non-existent in Low or even Very Low setting. Having tires that may wear unevenly would be a price I'm willing to pay for no shudder.

Sorry to break your bubble, but these parts won't fix the issue. I had them installed on my 2016 P90DL on December 6, 2019 and the shudder/growl problem has returned again...

Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount And Both Front Halfshafts (Model X)
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-H)
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X(1027115-00-D)
HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X(1027111-00-D)
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
DrComputer...did the problem return slowly or quickly over time? It looks like you didn't even make it a year w/ the new parts until the problem returned.