Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DrComputer...did the problem return slowly or quickly over time? It looks like you didn't even make it a year w/ the new parts until the problem returned.
I'm sorry--aren't these the old part numbers that were installed?

I don't think they're making this repair now as there's more recent TSB with new part numbers, right?

If anyone has had the TSB from last month (May, 2021) done, please chime in.

Thx.

The CVs fail. That's really all there is to it. The angle of the CV is just too much. Depending on various factors, when the CV fails will depend.
It's not the CVs that are failing, it's the half shafts that are warping. That's why under normal acceleration the problem isn't usually noticed, but when you go "full throttle" you will feel (and hear) the warped half shafts vibrate, shudder and groan.

Fix worked for me. So far. Will report if it comes back. Not perfectly smooth acceleration like our model 3 but pretty close. Real question is how long it lasts. With the last “fix” I felt shudder just after a few pulls. I have a good feeling about this one. They redid everything.

Also, competed at Tesla’s cost without me having to fight it. I’m at almost 100k miles now.

Does anybody know if they'll honor the TSB even if the car is out of warranty? I am thinking of buying a used X P90DL & having it shipped. If I notice the shudder, which is highly likely I will, I'd like to bring it in for a free repair. And I guess my follow-up question is if they don't do the repair, what'd it cost me out-of-pocket? Hoping no more than $2K. But honestly if the issue is pretty much non-existent in Low or even Very Low setting. Having tires that may wear unevenly would be a price I'm willing to pay for no shudder.
I always run in Low since the first 5k miles or so, and have had zero issue with uneven tire wear. Replaced my first set at 3/32 and there was a little more wear on the outside shoulders, which is just from cornering a heavy car. The rest was even all the way around. I did have Tesla do an alignment at year one because it was still on the maintenance list at that time. Perhaps they have modified the settings since it used to be a problem.

Interesting, there definitely is a break in period, which is the opposite of prior fixes which breaking in would mean the shudder coming back. It seems to get smoother the more i launch (in a 75d not really a launch).

In case anybody is curious the cost to update the half shafts + pns. clevis is not included in this
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 11.20.03 AM.png

they quoted that out today
Don’t do that — reject that quote and tell them to check Service Bulletin SB-21-39-001 and get back to you. Those parts on your quote will NOT solve the problem long term!

also, push them for goodwill coverage. Worst they can do is say no.

I really feel bad for those of you on the left coast. It seems the service centers out there don’t have nearly the same customer first mentality we get here. Tesla should send them here to NJ and we can show them how it’s done!! Paramus, Springfield, Cherry Hill, Princeton — all excellent!

Last edited:
Don’t do that — reject that quote and tell them to check Service Bulletin SB-21-39-001 and get back to you. Those parts on your quote will NOT solve the problem long term!

also, push them for goodwill coverage. Worst they can do is say no.

I really feel bad for those of you on the left coast. It seems the service centers out there don’t have nearly the same customer first mentality we get here. Tesla should send them here to NJ and we can show them how it’s done!! Paramus, Springfield, Cherry Hill, Princeton — all excellent!

Yes, they are pretty terrible. I've sent at least four messages in the service app with no reply. I had to go to the dealer in order to get any answers/work done.

So I have a Model X Performance delivered on New Years Eve last year. Had the shudder almost from day one, got the first half shafts replaced at 1100 miles. It came back around 4000 miles. I've been staying in low for the most part (and will now be staying there permanently after the replacement). I go back in on Friday for the new parts with the new TSB to be installed.

I'm torn on long term keeping this car. CarMax offered me $103,000 to purchase (I have 5,500 miles on it) and it is tempting. I am really in love with this car except for the shudder. Not sure where you all are at in this process but for me I'm extremely torn. This is our 3rd Tesla in the last year (M3P Lease I turned in early, then MXP, then last month a MYP for the wife) so I enjoy the tesla brand.

Any advice? Would you keep this thing. My wife tells me to give the new parts a chance which I will, but man I wish this issue was gone.

So I have a Model X Performance delivered on New Years Eve last year. Had the shudder almost from day one, got the first half shafts replaced at 1100 miles. It came back around 4000 miles. I've been staying in low for the most part (and will now be staying there permanently after the replacement). I go back in on Friday for the new parts with the new TSB to be installed.

I'm torn on long term keeping this car. CarMax offered me $103,000 to purchase (I have 5,500 miles on it) and it is tempting. I am really in love with this car except for the shudder. Not sure where you all are at in this process but for me I'm extremely torn. This is our 3rd Tesla in the last year (M3P Lease I turned in early, then MXP, then last month a MYP for the wife) so I enjoy the tesla brand.

Any advice? Would you keep this thing. My wife tells me to give the new parts a chance which I will, but man I wish this issue was gone.

Give it one more shot. Try the new TSB and keep the car in Low all the time. If you do any hard acceleration launches, put the car in Very Low.

Reactions: clayton006

I bought mine to keep long term. Little things like this don't bother me. Just get a warranty if you're concerned.

Reactions: clayton006

I would wait until post fix. I had same issue immediately after first “fix.” This recent fix seems to have solved my issues, despite heavy acceleration.

I had the SB-19-39-001 fix on my 2017 model X in August 2019. I recently raised my suspension to test the shudder, and yes it is back, but not as bad as it once was. As I compare my 2019 invoice to SB-21-39-001, it looks like the RH and Clevis assembly part numbers are the same but there is a new part number for the left hand half-shaft.

I am curious about what is known about the difference in this fix (they are just part numbers to me) and why it might be a more permanent fix? Or is the finality of this fix just hopeful thinking?