Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the SB-19-39-001 fix on my 2017 model X in August 2019. I recently raised my suspension to test the shudder, and yes it is back, but not as bad as it once was. As I compare my 2019 invoice to SB-21-39-001, it looks like the RH and Clevis assembly part numbers are the same but there is a new part number for the left hand half-shaft.

I am curious about what is known about the difference in this fix (they are just part numbers to me) and why it might be a more permanent fix? Or is the finality of this fix just hopeful thinking?

There's a few different things. The shaft and clevis are different. There's also a break-in period that seems to be new. From all the reports we've heard so far with the new parts installed, THIS is the permanent fix.

I've also heard from someone who'd be in a position to know that this should be the one. (In other words - complained about my shudder, the response was 'don't bother yet'... now that the new parts are available, it was 'NOW bother with getting it fixed.')

Reactions: Bigriver
So I just got my Model X back today from the updated fix. While most of my acceleration shudder is gone it is not at smooth as it should be. Not too big of a problem, but what started happening is at highway speeds when I let full regen kick in there is a roughness (vibration) which is audible and also shakes the wheel just a little bit. I took the tech out who did my repair and he definitely felt it too.
He told me he will be contacting his lead and escalating. They also wanted me to put 1000 miles on the car to see how it gets along (if it gets any better or worse).
On acceleration it actually feels a bit rougher than the first time they did to fix. At this point I’m not going to be terribly picky but it seems something new was introduced.

Reactions: RealDeal
So I just got my Model X back today from the updated fix. While most of my acceleration shudder is gone it is not at smooth as it should be. Not too big of a problem, but what started happening is at highway speeds when I let full regen kick in there is a roughness (vibration) which is audible and also shakes the wheel just a little bit. I took the tech out who did my repair and he definitely felt it too.
He told me he will be contacting his lead and escalating. They also wanted me to put 1000 miles on the car to see how it gets along (if it gets any better or worse).
On acceleration it actually feels a bit rougher than the first time they did to fix. At this point I’m not going to be terribly picky but it seems something new was introduced.
I've got mine done three weeks ago, i don't have any vibration but I've noticed much more noticeable humming noise during slow turns, do you have it as well?

I've got mine done three weeks ago, i don't have any vibration but I've noticed much more noticeable humming noise during slow turns, do you have it as well?
I have driven my car a few times since the repair and since my last post. I don’t have any low speed hum while turning. I did have this once when getting my winter tires installed. It turns out they didn’t realize the wheels were also a different size not just the tires. Thankfully I only moved a few feet before noticing it.

So I have a Model X Performance delivered on New Years Eve last year. Had the shudder almost from day one, got the first half shafts replaced at 1100 miles. It came back around 4000 miles. I've been staying in low for the most part (and will now be staying there permanently after the replacement). I go back in on Friday for the new parts with the new TSB to be installed.

I'm torn on long term keeping this car. CarMax offered me $103,000 to purchase (I have 5,500 miles on it) and it is tempting. I am really in love with this car except for the shudder. Not sure where you all are at in this process but for me I'm extremely torn. This is our 3rd Tesla in the last year (M3P Lease I turned in early, then MXP, then last month a MYP for the wife) so I enjoy the tesla brand.

Any advice? Would you keep this thing. My wife tells me to give the new parts a chance which I will, but man I wish this issue was gone.
Will Tesla take care of it? Yes. Maybe multiple SC visits. 1/2 decade old problem - & 42 pages of complaints - & re-complaints when it happens again. Maybe base decision(s) on that.

July 15th 2020 changed half shafts after 19k km, now July 4th 2021 changed half shaft at 36k km (17k km driven on temp fix). The parts are the same as last year. This fix was no questions asked drop and pickup, and the next day found out it’s the old parts when the invoice was sent to me. The car isn’t as smooth as last years fix.

I also experience vibration in the steering when going fast around curves.

Attachments

• C0E00163-6759-4063-AAA5-BFDC4F54F8CE.jpeg
    C0E00163-6759-4063-AAA5-BFDC4F54F8CE.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 186
Got an appointment on the 12th, repair will be done under goodwill. Car has 104k km now, 24k over warranty.
Got done today. Nice smooth ride, even after a couple of very hard accelerations on 'normal' and 'low'. So far so good.
As promised, repair done under goodwill. Loaner car was not part of that deal, but in the Netherlands (Eindhoven) they now offer free loan of electric bicycles with a range of about 180 km / 110 miles - easily enough for at least me to get home and back to them.

Repairs took more than expected, about 24h total.

The part numbers match the service bulletin:
1626208096014.png

Reactions: MrShakeHands
I brought my model X in today and told him about the shudder and they said they have the new half shafts in stock that should take care of the problem.

Still under warranty so they are installing free of charge. Picking up the car tomorrow morning and will test but when I spoke to the service center they were pretty happy with the test drive.

Just picked up my X...she is driving beautifully with no rattle ,vibration with hard acceleration. Looks like the new parts are sturdier and fix the problem

I heard even if you bring your car in for a service and was unaware about the problem, the parts would’ve been changed anyway… As per the manager at the service center

So far so good with mine as well after a few hundred miles, but I'll believe the new fix for Raven models (using the refresh axle part number) is permanent when my car has 27000 miles on it. A halfshaft failure 9000 miles into ownership of a car that's been in production for 5 years with this issue is clownshoes fisher price my first powertrain stuff, and I have zero faith that Tesla has found a true solution.

So, we'll see I guess. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tesla found a way for this car to lose a fuel pump or spin a rod bearing just to give us all the full luxury SUV experience

A halfshaft failure 9000 miles into ownership of a car that's been in production for 5 years with this issue is clownshoes fisher price my first powertrain stuff, and I have zero faith that Tesla has found a true solution.

Gee, thanks. You owe me a new monitor - mine’s now covered in coffee. 🤣🤣🤣

“My first powertrain” … priceless!

(and I’ve got my 2nd set of replacements going in on the 26th.)

I noticed this same effect on my (< 8K miles) 2020 MX (Raven). I live on a hill with a straight 35mph road and it was very noticeable with little acceleration on that hill. Brought it in last week to be looked at and Friday they stated they didn't notice the issue. A quick drive with the shop manager demonstrated the problem and they kept it over the week-end. I picked it up today. They replaced with the latest parts it looks like (see below) and so far it seems to be fixed.

1626829924718.png

I have the exact same new roughness/vibration problem. I have a 2020 Raven and they fixed the shudder while accelerating 2 weeks ago but it introduced a new shudder/vibration when driving at a constant speed. It's in the shop now and they say they don't feel it so they aren't going to do anything. Did they ever fix this new problem for you? What was the issue? Does anyone else notice a new vibration/shudder that only occurs when maintaining the same speed or when regen is just barely kicking in? I have regen set to full and suspension set to low. But it happens when suspension is set to normal also. And it happens at any speed if you keep it constant.

Last edited:
Had my October 2020 LR++ get the fix this week. Got the new half shafts. Interesting my invoice is more abbreviated than others (doesn't include the nuts and such..). No vibration noticeable at this time, even at previously reproducible speed and acceleration. I will be towing this month with it and we'll see how it holds up.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.38.58 PM.png