Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is indeed great news. I just had my front half shafts replaced for the second time to fix the shudder (first @ 3500 miles, second @ 19500 miles) on my mid September '17 delivery X100D. Symptom was a vibration from the front end between 45-65 mph. Until 3500 miles, I was set on standard with auto-lower @ 45mph or so. Since replacing the half shafts at 3500 miles, I changed it to stay on low full-time in theory to try to avoid the issue returning - it clearly didn't help.

For both service visits, the same part numbers were installed to complete the repair:

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B)
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B)
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A)

• Informative
Reactions: derkan and ebfio
I don't think speed itself is the issue (although I did do a few sprints at 130 out on some empty roads in Wyoming in May - NOT something I encourage others to do). I think it's the rate of acceleration that damages the current generation of half shafts.

I don't think speed itself is the issue (although I did do a few sprints at 130 out on some empty roads in Wyoming in May - NOT something I encourage others to do). I think it's the rate of acceleration that damages the current generation of half shafts.
I’ve noted in another thread that towing seems to exacerbate the problem, even at slower rates of acceleration. So it may have something to do with the geometry of the suspension when the back is squat and front higher.

Ok all new cars have been set at LOW “always” and aligned that way ...I got shudder on 2018 P100 and the SC fix was above ...my understanding as well is all new cars come this way with that SAS setting ...no vin range I’m aware of

Interesting.

There were some settings when I took delivery last week that were not typical with my ‘16 X. As an example, Creep was off and suspension was set to low.

However, I changed suspension to standard and made “low” speed sensitive, kicking in at 60+mph.

Btw: I wonder if new part went into the units produced in June? For my blue X, I haven’t had any shudder since shafts were replaced in April.

For both service visits, the same part numbers were installed to complete the repair:

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B)
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B)
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A)

Exact same parts i've been through twice now. New parts are coming soon!

Car built middle of June 2018 - Wonder if I have the new shafts?

Far as I can tell, these parts are just now starting to even exist. Not saying it's impossible as they do updates in real time on the build line, but it seems unlikely. At any rate, your warranty in the next 4 years will clearly cover the fix if your current axles do wear out, at which point i'm sure the fix will be available by then.

So it may have something to do with the geometry of the suspension when the back is squat and front higher.

100% correct. Apparently corporate had reported internally that the suspension geometry was loosely taken from the S, which obviously sits lower and doesn't have as much travel. To properly accommodate the X's much longer suspension travel, they just spread it out further. And to no surprise, the geometry hasn't worked as planned. In fact, I was told that the only time the geometry works exactly as designed is when the X is on very low, at which point the axles are lining up nearly horizontally...as they should be. That's also why the SC is telling you to ride in low or very low to help reduce the shutter...because it's when the axle is least susceptible to wear due to it's angle from the suspension. Less wear = less vibration AKA shutter over time. And if you're towing something, the back pulls down, the front pops up, and your front suspension is now riding quite higher, equivalent to standard or above. Makes perfect sense why towing can make it noticeably worse.

Btw: I wonder if new part went into the units produced in June? For my blue X, I haven’t had any shudder since shafts were replaced in April.

As I mentioned above, this part is brand new and technically only exists in "coming soon" status without a P/N yet. Seems highly unlikely. You're still very early in your mileage as most (but not all) X owners start to feel this between 5K to 10K miles for the first time. Rest assured, you will be covered when it does happen.

The shudder must be due to the eight cameras in AP2 taking pictures (shuttering) between 25-40MPH :)

As one of the few AP1 owners, I wouldn't have quite as many shutters lol.

And if you're towing something, the back pulls down, the front pops up, and your front suspension is now riding quite higher, equivalent to standard or above. Makes perfect sense why towing can make it noticeably worse.
Add to that that you are supposed to tow in "Standard," and you can see why I'm eager for this fix.. Though I suppose we all are.

So I'm at about 15k miles and have always driven on standard because I've read it will help avoid uneven tire wear & therefor give me better tire life. However, I have always noticed that it shudders when accelerating hard in standard. It hasn't really been an issue since I don't often floor it. But I have noticed that setting it to low seems to fix the issue.

Sounds like I should keep tabs on this thread and ask for the new parts once they arrive. Thanks!

When I picked up my MX in Fremont on 6/5, suspension was factory set to standard. I drove that way without issue for the first 1K miles, but have since then changed to low for better fuel economy for the past 1500 miles. However, right after I changed to low, I put my MX in for service to have the steering centered which also meant wheels were re-aligned. When I picked up, suspension was at low. I will probably wait a while before testing standard to see if I need the new parts since those will likely take a long time to have consistent stock.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I've had mine replaced at 6k miles. Came back again at around 24k. I haven't called back in about it yet but will do so soon. Now I may hold off longer until this new part is out. Do we know if this is part of the 8 year drive train warranty or the 4yr 50k mile warranty?

I've had mine replaced at 6k miles. Came back again at around 24k. I haven't called back in about it yet but will do so soon. Now I may hold off longer until this new part is out. Do we know if this is part of the 8 year drive train warranty or the 4yr 50k mile warranty?

There is no drive train warranty. It is a drive unit warranty. Are the half shafts part of the unit? Doubtful.

There is no drive train warranty. It is a drive unit warranty. Are the half shafts part of the unit? Doubtful.
This was the key question that I posed in a different thread. I'm also doubtful that it's included in the drive unit warranty.

But it would be good to get an official answer from Tesla. So far, I haven't gotten a response to the email I sent to Tesla.

This was the key question that I posed in a different thread. I'm also doubtful that it's included in the drive unit warranty.

But it would be good to get an official answer from Tesla. So far, I haven't gotten a response to the email I sent to Tesla.

I found a case of a Model S that was out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty that developed the clunking issue with the half shafts and the repair was not covered under the drive unit warranty: Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty

So I think that answers this question.

Do we know if this is part of the 8 year drive train warranty or the 4yr 50k mile warranty?

As others have mentioned as well, I can confirm from the SC that unless it's considered Goodwill (which differs from shop to shop) axles are only covered under 4yr/50k mile warranty.

Prepare for the worst OR do like others are doing now. If u are under warranty now and nearing the end, contact Tesla customer service and open a case. Tell them your concern and tell them u are aware that the issue is a self destructive design and want to assure you will be covered once you are out of warranty when the problem arrives. There is even a YouTube video of someone doing this and Tesla will tell you that you will be covered until permanent fix parts are installed. Take down the name of the person you speak to and record the date and time. It's your best route to go right now.