Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on the dreaded shudder: according to my SC, now there is a new and permanent fix for the problem. Finally, they figured out a new design.

I apologize, can you please clarify what shudder is being referred to here? My Model S shudders when I accelerate slightly aggressively from a low speed or from zero. And it shudders when I use the brakes to come to a stop. Is that the type of shudder your X experienced that your post refers to?

Thanks you for your attention to this.

I apologize, can you please clarify what shudder is being referred to here? My Model S shudders when I accelerate slightly aggressively from a low speed or from zero. And it shudders when I use the brakes to come to a stop. Is that the type of shudder your X experienced that your post refers to?

MXs tend to shudder under hard acceleration when suspension is set to high. But as time passes, it starts to shudder even on regular height. It only occurs under hard acceleration (flooring the accelerator). I DOES NOT shudder when braking or slowing down, however. So your issue is likely different.

We have both an S (early 2017) and an X (early 2018) and I can confirm that both of them shudder under hard acceleration, even at Standard height. I agree with what someone else in this thread said that your shuddering under breaking sounds like a different issue from what is being discussed in this thread.

I would be curious to see if this fix is also for the S as my SC in Richmond, VA told me over a month ago that they expected to have something by this Summer.

Reactions: Red5StandingBy
Just stopped by my SC in Portland and showed them the post of the new part numbers. They called the parts guy over to take a look at the new part numbers. I was told those are the old numbers but there is a D revision that has just come out and is hard to get. Asked my service center to get the D version of the parts needed to fix the shudder. I am hoping this is the permanent fix for half shafts. Asked if half shafts would be included in the motor and battery warranty and was told because this failed before your 50k warranty that it would be covered under motor and battery warranty

My service center in Palm Springs a few days ago when I was discussing this with them they said he had heard they were working on a new motor mount to fix the problem. Looking forward to seeing the part number for this.

Just stopped by my SC in Portland and showed them the post of the new part numbers. They called the parts guy over to take a look at the new part numbers. I was told those are the old numbers but there is a D revision that has just come out and is hard to get. Asked my service center to get the D version of the parts needed to fix the shudder. I am hoping this is the permanent fix for half shafts. Asked if half shafts would be included in the motor and battery warranty and was told because this failed before your 50k warranty that it would be covered under motor and battery warranty

New motor mounts and D revision parts.

The plot thickens...I hope this saga has a satisfying ending.

MXs tend to shudder under hard acceleration when suspension is set to high. But as time passes, it starts to shudder even on regular height. It only occurs under hard acceleration (flooring the accelerator).
And typically in the 30 to 40mph range. I think for many people, the accelerator does not have to be “floored”, but brisk acceleration is generally needed to detect the shudder.

Reactions: ckwong and TechVP
Just stopped by my SC in Portland and showed them the post of the new part numbers. They called the parts guy over to take a look at the new part numbers. I was told those are the old numbers but there is a D revision that has just come out and is hard to get.

Thanks for the update on the Portland SC. Really appreciate you mentioning it here. Seems educating the SC is a duty us owners have to take on.
Maybe this time we are out of the /shudder/ spin cycle? I'm at 41k... and watching the odo tick towards 50k.

Looking for any updates you can share regarding the new part, etc.
-TechVP

Thank you!

I just submitted a service request (in 3 weeks) to get my shudder fixed with these new parts. Will update all if this is indeed a fix.

Reactions: TechVP and Michelx

If your car is shuddering when you brake, then you likely have one or more warped brake rotors. Those can be “turned” (lathed) or replaced and that problem will go away.

If your car shudders at a constant speed it could be an out of balance tire or defective tire.